Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 10:30 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
The real question is WHY? What particular skills or abilities to these people have that make them a benefit to have in the United States? Let alone Idaho? Any business owners that are bringing their businesses with them? Doctors or nurses? Any skilled trades we are short of?
Yeah we need more religious diversity.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 AM

227 posts, read 382,389 times
Quote:
What reputation is that? The one that respects hard work, community, effort, success? The one that respects small businesses and the opportunities that they provide to their communities? Businesses and neighborhoods that depend on people that have some degree of skills? That respect people that contribute to the community?

The concept of importing unskilled, uneducated individuals from radically different cultures, ones often steeped in violence and poverty, often with little concept of work and productivity, is an action that usually, though not always, results in harming the area they are dumped in. That is what I oppose. The entire concept of "you made your home a dump, come on in and live here" needs to change. That's not "wacist", it's common sense.

I don't care where someone is from or what race they are. We need to change our immigration policies. Give priority to people with skills this country needs, or at least to those that have contributed to their countries or helped Americans around the world. We have a Dr. in Pakistan that helped us take down Osama-we should do what we can to get him and his family here (if that's what they would like). Instead we leave him to rot in a prison. Iraqis that have helped US troops, warned them where IEDs were planted or helped take down insurgents should get a spot at the front of the line. Individuals with experience with business and with money to invest to start a business. People with advanced degrees in say physics, materials science, various STEM PhDs, those fields that are too hard for many Americans to work through and are in demand.

But people with no work experience, no skills, no abilities, no history of contributing to their community? We have enough of them already-why do we need to import more?
Because you owe it to society and the world to help and rehabilitate them because in some way, your prosperity is to blame for their former demise and therefore you have a debt to pay!

Or something like that!

Old 05-01-2015, 01:12 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Are these "refugees" going through the same screening process the ones did that are in Wisconsin (or Minnesota, I forget which) that were recently arrested for supporting ISIS? Or perhaps the ones in London that cut the head off a man in downtown? Or perhaps the ones that slaughtered people at Charlie Hebdo? Look, I honestly don't give a flip what race someone is, I do care about the background and skills of the people coming into this country, and what they are bringing to contribute as opposed to becoming another drain on the taxpayer. That includes refugees, legal immigrants and especially criminal aliens.

I hope the ones being deposited in Idaho have the skills and mindset to contribute. If so, I wish them the best. I just hope our Federal government has for once done something competently and screened them appropriately.

Old 05-01-2015, 06:55 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Why does it seem like we have so few from say Great Briton, Germany, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, etc? At first glance, it seems like the "refugee" policy is rather racist and discriminatory.
Well, I know of two Brits, both legal immigrants and one who is now an American citizen, who will be moving to the Post Falls / Coeur d'Alene area as soon as possible. My husband and daughter-in-law are both from Newcastle upon Tyne and we can't wait to get out of California. Already have friends and family who have been in that area for many years now.

Please, no jokes about bringing my "lib-tard, commie California ways with me." Why do you think I want to LEAVE this messed up state?

Old 05-01-2015, 06:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Weighing in on the refugee situation... I have no problem with true refugees who really do need help and would appreciate the chance to become hard-working and self-supporting Americans. Its the worry over possible terrorist associations that bothers me.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 PM

212 posts, read 308,885 times
"Refugees" are immediately deincentivized to contribute because they are given welfare benefits.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Well, I know of two Brits, both legal immigrants and one who is now an American citizen, who will be moving to the Post Falls / Coeur d'Alene area as soon as possible. My husband and daughter-in-law are both from Newcastle upon Tyne and we can't wait to get out of California. Already have friends and family who have been in that area for many years now.

Please, no jokes about bringing my "lib-tard, commie California ways with me." Why do you think I want to LEAVE this messed up state?
LOL, no CA jokes. I bet they had to wait a lot longer to get into the country than "refugees". And considering the direction it sounds like London is going with the latest round of immigrants...well, I think Britons qualify as refugees these days. Let alone Californians.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:11 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,682,450 times
The irony in this thread is astounding.

Past/potential immigrants complaining about... immigrants.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 PM

81 posts, read 124,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
The irony in this thread is astounding.

Past/potential immigrants complaining about... immigrants.

It is not only that they are immigrants, it is that being they are refugees from a war torn area it usually means they are from an impoverished area with low education and next to zero skills. Be it skilled labor (welders, machinists, equipment operators, etc) or "educated" lines of work (banker, doctor, nurse, etc) Those of us who come to new areas are usually doing so out of our own pockets, with money we have earned through working, we have a skill set that can contribute to an area. We aren't loaded into a plane, handed a house, and setup on a program that sends us money and helps us get an education at the tax payers expense so then we can start working eventually.

Again, I am for immigration, it is what built this country. BUT we need to take care of our own first, and then help others. There are veterans that are having a hard time finding work. Why on earth are we helping someone from a foreign land who we have no idea about their background out before someone who has fought for our country?

Old 05-02-2015, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizen View Post
It is not only that they are immigrants, it is that being they are refugees from a war torn area it usually means they are from an impoverished area with low education and next to zero skills. Be it skilled labor (welders, machinists, equipment operators, etc) or "educated" lines of work (banker, doctor, nurse, etc) Those of us who come to new areas are usually doing so out of our own pockets, with money we have earned through working, we have a skill set that can contribute to an area. We aren't loaded into a plane, handed a house, and setup on a program that sends us money and helps us get an education at the tax payers expense so then we can start working eventually.

Again, I am for immigration, it is what built this country. BUT we need to take care of our own first, and then help others. There are veterans that are having a hard time finding work. Why on earth are we helping someone from a foreign land who we have no idea about their background out before someone who has fought for our country?
Can't rep you again. Are some so blind that they can't understand that? Or do they just like to play dumb and play the race card against those that don't want uneducated, unskilled drains on society, but support immigration of educated, skilled people that actually contribute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho