Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,771,717 times

Advertisements

A few weeks back, my wife and I purchased a used 2009 Honda Pilot with 38k on it from a Honda dealership. The vehicle did come with keyless entry but no remote start. At least so we thought.

Long story short, both batteries died in the remotes for the keyless entry, so I replaced the batteries. Just a few nights ago, I was sitting inside my kitchen replacing the battery, and then thru the door I activated the locks, which produce a short beep from the horn when the alarm is set. I did this a few times as it can be a little bit hard to hear from in the kitchen.

Later I walk outside to find the vehicle running, no keys in the ignition, all the doors were locked. I unlocked the car, and tried to shut it off by inserting my key in the ignition, and turning it on, and then off. That didn't shut off the vehicle. I then pressed on the brake pedal, and that shut off the ignition.

We called a local Honda dealer, and they said they didn't think the vehicle came factory with a remote start, and that it was probably an add-on. However the nearest dealer is 50 miles from us, and they said we'd have to make an appointment to find out if it has one, and if it's an add on, if we want it removed, we would have to find out who installed it and have them remove it, etc.

So that has me wondering....

1. If there is a remote start, where on this vehicle would I look to find out?

2. What could have caused this? I presume remote starts are activated by a radio frequency of some sort...??

3. Could my key fob have caused this to have happened, even though it's only keyless entry?\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 01:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
I don't believe the Honda Pilot offered remote start as a factory option. I think it was available as a dealer installed accessory. The Honda accessory has its own transmitter and does not use the standard key/transmitter for the remote start.

Buy Honda Pilot Accessories - Discount Genuine Honda Accessories

Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Paranormal activity. I'm scared.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:00 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
A few weeks back, my wife and I purchased a used 2009 Honda Pilot with 38k on it from a Honda dealership. The vehicle did come with keyless entry but no remote start. At least so we thought.

Long story short, both batteries died in the remotes for the keyless entry, so I replaced the batteries. Just a few nights ago, I was sitting inside my kitchen replacing the battery, and then thru the door I activated the locks, which produce a short beep from the horn when the alarm is set. I did this a few times as it can be a little bit hard to hear from in the kitchen.

Later I walk outside to find the vehicle running, no keys in the ignition, all the doors were locked. I unlocked the car, and tried to shut it off by inserting my key in the ignition, and turning it on, and then off. That didn't shut off the vehicle. I then pressed on the brake pedal, and that shut off the ignition.

We called a local Honda dealer, and they said they didn't think the vehicle came factory with a remote start, and that it was probably an add-on. However the nearest dealer is 50 miles from us, and they said we'd have to make an appointment to find out if it has one, and if it's an add on, if we want it removed, we would have to find out who installed it and have them remove it, etc.

So that has me wondering....

1. If there is a remote start, where on this vehicle would I look to find out?

2. What could have caused this? I presume remote starts are activated by a radio frequency of some sort...??

3. Could my key fob have caused this to have happened, even though it's only keyless entry?\
I don't think it's a factory system. AFAIK, Honda does not sell a pre-installed factory remote start that you could order as an option from Honda when buying the vehicle like you can with many other brands. They do offer one as an add-on dealer accessory that is from the Honda parts catalogue though. Additionally many dealers also offer remote start systems that aren't the Honda brands.

Either way, most modern remote start aftermarket systems are able to be programmed to simply use key presses on the regular factory remote, usually by hitting the lock button a couple of times and then holding it down. Even the older Honda "factory" system works this way. Other brands who have it as a true factory option have a dedicated remote start button on the fob. So, if the car started as you described you definitely have a remote start installed, there is no other way for the car to start like that. The dealership could definitely ID the brand for you and tell you how it works.

Here is a quick primer on how most of them work...

To start the car remotely press the lock button twice and then press and hold it a third time. The car should beep and then the engine will start. From there you can use the remote to unlock the doors and enter the vehicle. You should then be able to insert the key and turn it to the "on/run" position and drive the car normally. If you don't have the key set to "on/run" they are usually setup to kill the engine when the brake pedal is pressed. This is to prevent anyone from getting in the car while it is running and putting it in gear. If you remote started the car and want to shut it off remotely, you hit the lock button twice and then press and hold it and it should shut the car off.

That is how most of them work, but there are some differences out there. For instance, some are wired to kill the engine when the remote unlock is used. Others don't let you put the key in and then drive. Instead, you have to press the brake to turn it off and then use they key to start it normally.

To answer your questions...

1. Here are the installation instructions for the Honda remote start system on a 2009 Pilot. This is the newest system Honda sells, so everything may not be the same as what is installed on your car, but it can help you look for the signs of where it may be installed.

http://www.hondapartssuperstore.com/...emoteStart.pdf

2. The only way for the car to start like that is if it has a remote start module in it. Yes, they work off of radio frequency.

3. Yes, it was your key fob. Many systems, especially aftermarket ones and the older Honda system are designed to use the regular factory key fob. The remote start module picks up the frequency signal from the remote and activates the starter when a certain series of actions are done.

Old 10-08-2012, 03:09 PM

286 posts, read 652,846 times
The brake pedal cutting the car off definitely sounds like an aftermarket system. I've seen that feature before.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM

Thanks NJGoat, I did what you said to do....sure enough after you set the alarm and then hold down the lock button, the engine starts. interesting. The dealer never mentioned it had remote start. Guess that's a score for us, unless it decides to go belly up.

Old 10-08-2012, 04:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Thanks NJGoat, I did what you said to do....sure enough after you set the alarm and then hold down the lock button, the engine starts. interesting. The dealer never mentioned it had remote start. Guess that's a score for us, unless it decides to go belly up.
My favorite feature of the aftermarket remote starts I have is that I can park, take the key out with the engine running, and leave the vehicle locked with the alarm set. It's great for running into a store, bank, or to grab some takeout quickly. If I had a dog (or kid?) I could keep it cool while I shop. Mine works by doing the same thing as I do to start the vehicles, so maybe yours works the same way.

I can't speak for OEM type remote starts, but I've had numerous units from Alpine, Viper, and Python, and never had a problem. The first one was little more than a box of relays, and it worked fine for over 100K miles.

Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,712,126 times
Quote:
The only time i've had a remote start go belly up was when a dealer cut the wiring harness in the engine bay for an aftermarket system on my last Jeep. Car still ran fine, but wouldn't remote start.

That said, I'll never buy another car without remote start, and I won't go with an aftermarket system. My new Jeep came with it from the factory, we had the dealer install it when we bought our Camry. Both use the factory key fobs. Comes in handy in the winter when its 10 degrees outside in the AM. Handy in the summer too if you leave the A/C on.

Old 10-09-2012, 12:22 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Quote:
No problem.

Chances are the selling dealer didn't even know it had it, so definitely score one for you. Honda dealers, assuming it was dealer installed when it was new, charge a lot for those systems. As far as it going "belly up" I wouldn't be concerned. The systems are pretty simple and unless it was a total hack job, it should last the life of the car. Even if it does go bad, it won't cause other problems, it just won't work anymore.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Well that's relieving to hear. I figured when they quit working, the starter solenoid no longer activates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura