Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 01:51 PM

783 posts, read 2,586,739 times

Advertisements

I understand it's an AWD but not 4 wheel drive.

How does it handle snow?
What's your driving experience?

I had the opportunity to test drive one, liked to loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 10:58 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Own one..........love it !

I'm in Florida, so not much snow , but we do get torrential rains. In fact, we've had days of it lately........blinding at times. The Pilot does not even blink - I feel very secure with its' handling.

It is All-wheel-drive with a low-lock option (I have yet to use it, haven't needed it).

I really feel it is a near-perfect vehicle. The interior is so flexible and so huge, it has never let me down. It is absolutely cavernous inside - I am continually amazed at what will fit in there.

We drove a Toyota Highlander for a week (it was a rental) and we were not impressed. The Highlander felt like a small sedan (tiny inside compared to the Pilot), did not feel substantial, and the pickup was poor.

I have an '04 Pilot and have had no maintenance problems, I fully expect to drive this vehicle for 10 years - it still looks nearly brand new inside and out (great paint job, etc.).

It may not be the sexiest SUV, but I think it's the most practical .

Old 10-04-2007, 08:09 AM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
I understand it's an AWD but not 4 wheel drive.

How does it handle snow?
What's your driving experience?

I had the opportunity to test drive one, liked to loved it.
I have one and LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!! Ours is 4wd though! I love everything about it! The only thing I wish it had was a gps which you can buy one with it but ours didn't have it! It drives awesome in the snow! And it's not a huge suv it's more compact so it's easy for me to park in small spaces etc. It seats 8 and it so wonderful with kids! Ours has leather int and is a breeze to clean up!!! Gas milage is ok..not great about 22/g but ok.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:12 AM

443 posts, read 2,134,942 times
One more thing I forgot to mention and it really important to me is the Pilot has front and side airbags. I feel really comfortable in it and driving it. And comfort in knowing that if I were to get t-boned the Pilot would fill up like the pillsbury doughboy. This safety feature is wonderful to have.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
My daughter and son-in-law just bought a pilot in June. They love it. Course, they haven't driven it in any snow or ice yet. Theirs is 4WD so I imagine it'll do just fine.

SIL drives about 32 miles, one way to work over top of a couple areas that hae their own atmosphere and can get pretty nasty in the winter. I'll be interested to see how it does.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:36 PM

Default Awd

I could be wrong, and maybe something has changed, but I believe all Pilots are All-Wheel-Drive, not true 4-Wheel-Drive.

When the Pilots first came out, they were offered in only AWD with a low-lock option (there is a button on the dash - like the automatic Jeeps - all the AWD Honda Pilots have this button).

Later, Honda added 2-Wheel-Drive Pilots to the line. So now you can choose between 2-wheel drive or All-Wheel-Drive (go for the AWD ).

I think most people will call it "4-wheel-drive" casually, but there is a difference......you cannot go four-wheeling in a Pilot .

AWD is what you find in BMWs and lots of other cars and it works great. If you get in a jam, you can use the low-lock feature to gain traction, but if you try to use a Pilot like a "true" 4-wheel-drive vehicle you will destroy it.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:29 PM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
I could be wrong, and maybe something has changed, but I believe all Pilots are All-Wheel-Drive, not true 4-Wheel-Drive.
You are correct. This type of AWD system is basically a front wheel drive (FWD) vehicle with the AWD kicking in when the wheels start to slip. It's the same system Honda has been using for a long time (anyone remember the Civic AWD Wagon from the late 80's early 90's?). They called it "Realtime" and the system was reborn in the late 90's with the introduction of the CRV. I have a 1998 CRV and I just love it. It does perform very well, even in deep snow, but as riveree said, don't use it like a true off-road vehicle. It's not really meant for rock climbing and mud bogging. The same goes for the Pilot and Ridgeline. Same AWD system, FWD platform that operates most of the time, and when the front wheels start to slip, the AWD system engages the rear axle creating an AWD system. The power split is 70% front and 30% rear when activated, I believe.

Pilots are great vehicles. I plan on getting one when the CRV gets long in the tooth (that may be a while, it runs too good!!).

Old 10-07-2007, 11:54 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Woops, sorry I wasn't exactly politically, estedically correct. I called it 4WD. Yup, your right. it's not 4 WD, it's AWD but it's only got 4 wheels.

Like most 4WD are not 4 wheels, it's only 2 wheels, one in front and one in back. But I don't correct them when they call them 4WD.

Again, my bad, please continue on with "Your" discussion. I won't interrupt or offer words anymore.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:34 PM

951 posts, read 1,653,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Again, my bad, please continue on with "Your" discussion. I won't interrupt or offer words anymore.
Jeez, lighten up. Nobody was picking on you. The point is that there is a vast difference between 4WD and AWD, that's all. There was just clarification needed for people not in the know.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks Bryfry .

Bryfry is right Jgussler, it was simply a clarification.

Also, if you read my post again, you'll see I was also inquiring if something has changed recently with the Pilot - I'm not an automotive expert by any means, and Honda could have introduced a 4WD Pilot and it might not have registered on my radar. If Honda did offer 4WD, that would be a very different vehicle and I'd be interested in knowing about it.

No need to take it personally.......by the way, you were not the first one in this thread to refer to it as "4WD" .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura