Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2012, 07:23 AM

152 posts, read 478,264 times

Advertisements

We are trying to decide between these two SUVs and I'm interested in feedback from others with experiences with either one. Note, we have a toddler. We plan to buy and own for many years. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 07:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Although there is some commonality in the platform between the Pilot and MDX, the Acura is a far more polished vehicle. It is a bit more powerful but needs premium fuel. The Pilot is a bit roomier because of its boxier shape. The MDX interior far nicer than the Pilot.

They are both very reliable. We have a 2006 Pilot and compared to the MDX then. We just couldn't justify the $$ difference. But they were more similar then. I think currently the gap is wider between the Pilot and the MDX. Don't know if it is worth it or not.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:36 PM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,014 times
Buy the MDX if you can afford it. It has a better AWD system (SH-AWD), better styling, way better interior. Pilot is a fine SUV but I don't like the look.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
The MDX is also a bit quieter, and has much better materials, whereas the Pilot is more truck-like. However, if you need the capacity to seat eight, the Pilot can do so, whereas the MDX will only seat seven. Both are reliable, so it really comes down to preference as to which is the better vehicle for your needs, though if making the same choice, I would go with the MDX.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-13-2012, 06:27 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,530,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne0626 View Post
We are trying to decide between these two SUVs and I'm interested in feedback from others with experiences with either one. Note, we have a toddler. We plan to buy and own for many years. Thanks!

Both nice. However, we choose the 2011 pilot. Reg gas too instead of premium. I love Accura cars & trucks, however, gas above $4.00 FOR REGULAR keeps me away from Acura. I will by a new 13' Accord when they come out. A lot of room in pilot. Both front and back. Drives great!

Old 09-13-2012, 11:51 AM

152 posts, read 478,264 times
We definitely like prefer the MDX over the Pilot in terms of how it drives and looks, but there are some things it has that we don't care about (AWD and power) which we'd be paying more for. While the premium fuel is a negative in principle, it actually only works out to an extra couple hundred dollars per year. Which is definitely annoying, but doesn't really have an impact financially.

I didn't like the breaking distance in the Pilot - just felt like it took too long but I'm not a professional driver by any means. And it did feel like a truck while the MDX felt more manageable. We don't care about the extra seating in the Pilot, but the extra cargo room would be nice. I'm torn!

Old 09-13-2012, 01:22 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Get an MDX as it seems that you prefer the way it handles. You have enough room for regular family things in it, especially if you do not need the third row seating on a regular basis. You can always rent a van if you need to carry something bulky if you do not prefer the way the Pilot handles.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive