Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2009, 12:50 PM

3 posts, read 5,685 times

Advertisements

Hello All! I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before. I have to ask for myself again so forgive me. Opinions seem to change as time passes so I feel I need to ask the question again. My husband and I with our family of five are possibly relocating to Greenville. I'm a little confused about the area in trying to determine the best area to live in within the community. We lived in the Savannah area for 3 years but we prefer to live in areas outside of the city. Not too far out but not to close. We are concerned about schools, commuting time into the city, and conveniences such as what areas to avoid if you want internet access or your cell phone to work. The area seems very nice from research on the internet but some things can be deceiving. How would anyone compare Greenville, SC to Savannah, GA. Are they similar or way off? Savannah area traffic was a nightmare in my opinion. Can anyone living in the area give me the skinny on what areas to avoid? I have a child in High School, Middle School, and Elementary School. We are used to living in the suburbs in housing that is about 165K for 1300 square feet. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 04:57 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
I recommend the Powdersville-Wren-Easley area (northern Anderson County). Good schools in Anderson County School District 1 and the convenience to the main hospital campus and downtown Greenville is hard to beat. There really aren't any "bad" parts, rather the majority of the area is quite nice and comfortably open.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,864,685 times
Several good areas would be anything on the Eastside (huge area that encompasses several square miles and everything from a 125,000 home to multi-million McMansions). As stated previously in this thread, the Golden Strip area of Mauldin and Simpsonville. This area is much like Eastside. There was a post about Haywood Road, but this is incorrect and the poster must not live in Greenville.....Haywood is strictly commercial with a few apartments, mainly shopping and offices / office parks. There are no neighborhood developments around Haywood.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:15 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Several good areas would be anything on the Eastside (huge area that encompasses several square miles and everything from a 125,000 home to multi-million McMansions). As stated previously in this thread, the Golden Strip area of Mauldin and Simpsonville. This area is much like Eastside. There was a post about Haywood Road, but this is incorrect and the poster must not live in Greenville.....Haywood is strictly commercial with a few apartments, mainly shopping and offices / office parks. There are no neighborhood developments around Haywood.
That poster might have been referring to the other end of Haywood Rd, also where it crosses E. North St and becomes Howell Rd (headed towards Taylors). Not many people notice/realize that the road's name changes as you go that direction. There are lots of (60's & 70's era) neighborhoods that direction.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:07 AM

Thanks to all of you for the information. I have run upon a rental that is within the 1300.00 monthly arena. It is huge home advertised to be between Greer & Lyman (District 5) by Tyger river. I understand that is between Greenville & Spartanburg from my research. Is this area rural? I ask because other rental advertisements our significantly higher for the same square footage in other areas. I'm wondering why it is so inexpensive for the size of home it is offering. It seemed too good to be true. Just wondering what the catch could possibly be.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:56 AM

899 posts, read 2,288,652 times
I am very familiar with the area you are describing as well as District 5 schools. If you had the street and/or neighborhood of the house you are looking at I could give you a better idea of the lay of the land. The short answer is that it is probably considered rural if it is between Greer and Lyman, but there are various subdivisions throughout that area too. Do you have more info?

Old 10-12-2009, 02:22 PM

7 posts, read 16,353 times
Default moving to the area

Hi there,
We moved to the area this spring and are thrilled with the move that we made. Our move is similar to yours as we came from just outside of Hampton Roads Va and that traffic is horrible. We are in Easley and our teenage daughters love the high school. While doing our search we also looked at Wren High School. Both are graded very high in the national levels and both are very friendly areas. If you are going to be working in Greenville then either place would be a good choice to move to - you should also not have a problem finding housing for the price that you are looking at. In fact you might be surprised at the prices - we went through realtor.com to look around before choosing an agent.
Good luck in your moving adventure.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:02 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khamilton74 View Post
Here is the link to the advertisement.
Moderator cut: NO REAL ESTATE LINKS USE DM
Thanks for the information.
That house is in the Riverdale subdivision in Lyman (practically in Greer)

The subdivision is 10-15 years old. It's located right off of Wade Hampton Blvd/Hwy. 29, the main 4-6 lane non-Interstate thouroughfare that connects Spartanburg and Greenville. I think it would be described as a typical middle-class subdivision with newer homes. I think most look like the one you found with some that look nicer from the outside and some that look smaller. I was thinking maybe the house you found sounds so large because they turned the bottom floor into a sort of mother-in-law apartment--meaning that the floorplan is not as large as other 5BR houses in more expensive neighborhoods would be. Overall from what I know it's a typically nice middle class subdivision like others you'll find throughout the area.

I also wouldn't call it rural because you would be in a subdivision off the main road that is less than five minutes away from where all the major shopping is in Greer--and the area has experienced significant growth and development. You would be about less than 20 minutes away from the major Spartanburg shopping including the Westgate Mall. Also right across from the neighborhood is the fairly new Rt. 81 which gives people in Lyman/Greer a more convenient way to get to I-85 and Greenville's eastside with all the shopping and restaurants you can imagine for the area.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-13-2009 at 05:37 PM..

Old 10-12-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
That house is in the Riverdale subdivision in Lyman (practically in Greer)

The subdivision is 10-15 years old. It's located right off of Wade Hampton Blvd/Hwy. 29, the main 4-6 lane non-Interstate thouroughfare that connects Spartanburg and Greenville. I think it would be described as a typical middle-class subdivision with newer homes. I think most look like the one you found with some that look nicer from the outside and some that look smaller. I was thinking maybe the house you found sounds so large because they turned the bottom floor into a sort of mother-in-law apartment--meaning that the floorplan is not as large as other 5BR houses in more expensive neighborhoods would be. Overall from what I know it's a typically nice middle class subdivision like others you'll find throughout the area.

I also wouldn't call it rural because you would be in a subdivision off the main road that is less than five minutes away from where all the major shopping is in Greer--and the area has experienced significant growth and development. You would be about less than 20 minutes away from the major Spartanburg shopping including the Westgate Mall. Also right across from the neighborhood is the fairly new Rt. 81 which gives people in Lyman/Greer a more convenient way to get to I-85 and Greenville's eastside with all the shopping and restaurants you can imagine for the area.

If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!
Thanks for your feedback! It has been very helpful.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-13-2009 at 05:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area