Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 10:05 PM

49 posts, read 190,556 times

Advertisements

I have recently received a job offer down in Savannah, but now I am perplexed on whether or not to move away from Greenville, SC where I have grown up all my life. I like Greenville, and I don't know that much about Savannah--

Anyone here that has made that same move--how do the two cities compare?
Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 12:13 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
Savannah is basically Georgia's answer to Charleston. If you're familiar with Charleston, then you've got a pretty good idea of what Savannah is like.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
If you've grown up in Greenville, then you are used to cooler evenings, multiple days of lower humidity and few bugs. Savannah, while a beautiful city, will be much warmer and the mosquitos and bugs during spring and summer can get nasty. (Outdoor seating areas at restaurants offer cans of "Off" on the tables).

Savannah is more "Old South" than Greenville.

Savannah is much more tourist oriented.

Greenville is much more of a business center.

Old 09-10-2007, 11:49 AM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
I recently visited Savannah, and was mostly unimpressed. It is quaint and historic, and as gsupstate said it is much more "Old South" than Greenville. I think it makes for an interesting weekend trip, but I could not imagine living there.

Aside from being a much smaller metro than Greenville, Savannah feels like a town that relies almost exclusively on tourists. Although I am unaware of the business scene in Savannah, I have to wonder what the city plans to do in order to continue to not only sustain itself but to progress and grow.

As Akhenaton06 stated, it is very similar to Charleston. If you want a smaller version of Charleston, access to the coast, and a city with no open container laws - Savannah is your answer.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:18 PM

139 posts, read 545,629 times
We relocated to Anderson from GA & still have family in Savannah area. Downtown Savannah is a nice place to visit. As for living there...no way. Crime is very high per capita, traffic is terrible and housing costs are out of line for what you get. The outskirts are getting just as bad. Definately "Old South" and not necessarily in a good sense. Unless you head towards Guyton (which is growing like crazy but are having serious property tax increases) the other areas have very little to offer. We lived SW of Hinesville & there is NOTHING out that way. Good luck

Old 09-15-2007, 11:47 AM

9 posts, read 39,445 times
Default Savannah versus Greenville

Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy-901 View Post
I have recently received a job offer down in Savannah, but now I am perplexed on whether or not to move away from Greenville, SC where I have grown up all my life. I like Greenville, and I don't know that much about Savannah--

Anyone here that has made that same move--how do the two cities compare?
Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated.
I lived in Savannah for many years. Then Hilton Head Island. In 2002 we moved to Simpsonville. I LOVE the Upstate and would never move back... UNLESS.. the job offer was too good to pass up. You might consider taking the job, putting in your time, and then moving on.

I would not want to move back but I'm glad I experienced it.

Be aware that if you plan to buy a house, coastal insurance has gotten WAY expensive. And that's if you can get coverage. I suggest you rent if you go until you decide if you like it enough to stay 3 years or more.

Old 09-19-2007, 09:31 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
honestly I hear savannah is awesome but hot as hell, never visited there myself, but I plan to very soo,n i'll let ya kow hen I do

Old 10-03-2007, 04:27 PM

18 posts, read 93,735 times
Default Savannah area is for some ...

I live in Bluffton which is halfway between Hilton Head and Savannah. I have to pretty much concur with what has been written here. It's beautiful and somewhat artsy/historic. I think Savannah will continue to be a relatively hot destination, but bear in mind that if you don't really care much for the beaches, boating and golf this might not be the place for you. Shopping exists, but it's limited. Entertainment is pretty much reserved to the aforementioned activities. There is a ton of growth and I think the future is still bright for this area as they try to diversify --- but down here it takes time! They don't call this the slowcountry for no reason.

Onto the bug issue. There are often periods where the bugs are minimal, but there are periods when you run the risk of getting eaten alive. It isn't just the mosquitos either ... you have to deal with sand gnats, chiggers, etc.

Regarding the heat, it isn't quite as bad as some people make it out to be. However, take note that July and August can be rather brutal --- not because of the heat because the thermometer rarely gets over 95, but down here they think that 60% humidity is DRY and during the summer it doesn't seem to go under 75-80. The nights are sultry and often times the temps don't get under 80 until very late night. The rest of the time it's fantastic and the winter days often times get into the low 60's. In my 3 years down here I never saw a day not hit at least 40. The nights rarely go below 30.

Don't get me wrong, this is definitely the place for some people! If the job is that good, as someone already suggested, go to Savannah and experience what the "old south" really has to offer --- and no, not all the "old south" aspects of this area are bad! If there are two truly "southern cities" in the US, to me they're Charleston and Savannah.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,441 times
Well, My husband and I are trying to decides wheather we want to move to Georgia from New York. My husband was offered a great job with New York pay in Savannah. However, we dont want to live in the city. We want to live on the outskirts of Savannah that's multi cultural that in a great school district. We are looking to purchase a home in about 1 to 2 years from the time we move to Georgia but we just dont know where. Can someone give us a suggestions.

Old 03-13-2011, 01:25 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Savannah is basically Georgia's answer to Charleston. If you're familiar with Charleston, then you've got a pretty good idea of what Savannah is like.
That's what I was going to say.

Will you miss the mtns? How about the humidity down there...much worse than here.

I used to live in Charleston and I can tell you it's a lot worse down there or in Savannah. Some people are ok with it but it's miserable during the summer months.

Are you more a beach person?

I had a job opp. in Marietta but I knew I'd miss G'ville so I stayed.

Maybe go visit and see how you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area