Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 7,338 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are thinking about possibly moving to Greenville. I'm from South Dakota, so I'm more than ready to be done with the many months of extremely cold weather, and he is from Louisiana and doesn't want to have to deal with hurricanes anymore. I have read a lot of the posts and I think Greenville sounds like a nice place, (aside from the KKK shop in a nearby city that needs to be demolished immediately). I'm white and he's black and we are tired of people staring us down because we are of different color, so we are hoping to not have to deal with that as much as we have to now. I will be moving a few months before he will be so we're looking for help on what the "good" areas are to rent an apartment in. We're in our 20's, so no retirement areas, please! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 09:02 AM

28 posts, read 121,743 times
J,
It's your decision, but you should take a good, long look at the stats of cities in SC.
City-Data.com is good, as well as Cities.sc, which has a bit more of a local feel.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 04:58 PM

835 posts, read 2,309,146 times
I would say you may experience some racism but no one would likely say anything to your face or be blatant.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:08 PM

642 posts, read 2,091,128 times
Well if you stick too the mauldin, simpsonville or Greenville area you are going to be fine. My aunt is married too a black man and my other aunt is about too marry a black man as well. It is really only a problem in small towns with little growth that you have too worry about. Some people are still stuck in the old age. I don't think you will have a problem at all really. They have never had a prob and one has a child and he has never had a problem either. You can find stupid and rude people no matter what state you are in.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM

5,492 posts, read 8,343,914 times
You won't have a problem with that here. I was interacially married and have 2 children. Never had a problem.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM

835 posts, read 2,309,146 times
Exactly. You will not have the problem most likely. It'll be the other people who say things quietly to each other but it may not affect you.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:23 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,257,857 times
You will definitely get away from the SD cold, but your friend may not be totally free of tropical storms/hurricanes. Obviously the storms are weakened by the time they reach there, but even upstate SC can have moderate weather from hurricanes/tropical storms, as even the upstate is not all that far from the coastline. Anywhere in the southeast really can have the weather from hurricanes/TS.

Good luck with the moves.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:41 PM

35 posts, read 195,751 times
Wink Tropical Storms

From what I hear Greenville could use a good soak right about now. I used to love tropical weather in Florida. This may sound strange but I love hurricane weather as long as you are not in its path of terrible destruction (no disrespect meant to those who have suffered). There is something so delicious about the wind, pelting rain and drop in the barometric pressure. I lived in Orlando when 4 hurricanes criss-crossed the state so I experienced them first hand. It wasn't fun being without power for a couple weeks in extremely hot weather!

Old 06-05-2008, 10:45 PM

11,712 posts, read 24,837,801 times
Please be aware that guestposter24 post opinions to get people not to move here. This is because he is afraid of Greenville losing the southern character like Atlanta has. One of my best friends is gay and black and he's never had a problem here.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:20 PM

745 posts, read 2,235,796 times
There is an interracial couple in the neighborhood where our property is (north of Travelers Rest). That's pretty far out in the country.They've lived there 33 years, and said they've never had a problem. Also, some of the nicest folks I've ever met!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area