Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 06:20 AM

2,096 posts, read 2,327,141 times

Advertisements

Hello to all!

My fiancé and I are possibly looking to move to the Greenville area and need some help/info beforehand. For starters we are both 23, no kids, enjoy the outdoors and like to frequently go out and shop/eat out etc... We currently live in Louisville,KY and re just ready to experience new places! My fiancé is an LPN, and currently going to school to be an RN. So how is the healthcare job field for starters? I plan on starting my own business.

What areas are to be avoided living in? We want somewhere safe like most people, and we plan on renting at first then possibly buying a home. Our budget is about $800-$1,300 a month for a place.

Any help and info is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 11:05 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,060 times
Greg10556, good luck to you and your fiancé/fiancée in your search. We can begin adding suggestions here, but I also encourage you to peruse other threads in this forum, as there have been similar questions in the past.

When I moved here, albeit now some 16 years ago, I was strongly encouraged to avoid looking on the near west side of the city, including Berea, City View and Sans Sousi. For the age and activities you mention, your ideal location might be the North Main area, which has easy access to the vibrancy of downtown. You might also look in Taylors, Greer, the east side (Simpsonville zip codes) and parts of Mauldin, but you will find yourself doing a lot more driving. However, don't overlook the fact that Greer also has its own downtown area, with shops and restaurants, that has been coming to life in recent years.

Keep asking specific questions; we will try to advise as your search evolves.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:36 AM

How's the economy in Greenville and the surrounding areas you mentioned? Like I said, my fiancé is an LPN and soon to be RN so how's the healthcare job field there?

And for our budget which is about $800-$1,300(we could do a little more if we really like a place) could we find some good places in nicer areas?

Old 09-18-2013, 11:59 AM

1. I'm not an economist, but I believe the Greenville area fared better overall in the economic downturn than many other places. Unemployment is higher than we would like, of course, but there are jobs here. The healthcare industry is definitely growing, with new hospitals coming on line and Greenville Hospital System becoming part of Medical University of South Carolina. However, I cannot offer any valid comparison with, say, the Louisville area. Forbes magazine recently named Greenville #13 on its list of 15 Best Cities for Young Adults - and the economic numbers have improved even further just since then.

2. I think your budget is reasonable for the area, especially at the upper end of it. (For example, I just saw a nice condo in the North Main/Northgate Trace area - 3 BR, 2.5 baths, masonry fireplace - for just under $1,100.) I like the search interface on Zillow.com, but you also should search Craigs List and Realtor.com, then the various apartment listing sites.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:26 PM

I have actually been using Zillow a ton and it's been a huge help, I just didn't know the good areas to look into getting a place, now that you recommended a few areas i'll be better off!

Another question, what's traffic like in the areas mentioned? And as far as outdoor activities,shopping,eating out and etc... is there plenty of that? I appreciate the info so far!

Old 09-18-2013, 12:59 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Some of that depends on what outdoor activities you enjoy. We have lots of opportunities for road biking, mountain biking, hiking, kayaking, camping, etc.

Traffic in this area is pretty minor. About the only congested areas are around Pelham Road down I-85 toward Woodruff Road in the morning and evenings. Woodruff Road is frequently congested but that is due to all the businesses along a short stretch of road there.

There are a lot of hospitals in the area (like everywhere, I guess). Some to lookup - Greenville Hospital System, St Francis / Bon Secours, Anmed (Anderson Medical System), Baptist of Easley, Oconee Memorial. I'm sure there are many others to check out. Where you will want to live may be influenced a lot by where a job is going to be located.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Another question, what's traffic like in the areas mentioned?
If you come here from a major metropolitan area with lots of gridlock, this will seem like a dream. Most of it isn't too bad, depending on where you need to get to. The hands-down winner for the worst traffic award is Woodruff Road, on the east side. No one will argue that. However, I drive it every day, just accepting it as it is, because I have to. As nice as the east side is, it's grown so much in the last 10 years that traffic is pretty bad. You just have to learn to read the traffic patterns and make the best of it.

I-385 into and out of Greenville, approaching the interchange with I-85, can also be pretty bad around commuter time. And it's going to get worse when reconstruction of the interchange begins next year. Come to think of, I-85 itself can get pretty bad at times, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
And as far as outdoor activities,shopping,eating out and etc... is there plenty of that?
Just about every magazine or news article about Greenville includes some commentary on how many restaurants there are, especially downtown, which rocks all year around for nightlife. Downtown is also known for its eclectic shopping,which is continually growing. Anthropologie just opened a few months back, and a Brooks Brothers will be opening this fall. Then there's Mast General Store, a small regional chain that is known as a "destination" store. You really need to take a weekend and come see for yourself.

Outside downtown there is Haywood Mall, which is one of the largest malls in the state. It is home to one of only two Macy's stores in South Carolina. The Shops at Greenridge is another popular shopping district, but to get there you have to brave the Woodruff Road traffic.

Just a little bit up the road from The Shops at Greendridge is a new development, Magnolia Park Town Center. To be anchored by a Cabela's now under construction, it includes new dining and entertainment options as well as a furniture store, an 'R' Us complex and a Costco.

So, yeah, you won't want for shopping.

Whew! I'll leave the recreation for others to describe. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Or you could read some of the other recent threads.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM

Thanks so much for all the info! Greenville sounds like an awesome place to live! All this info just makes me more excited to see what it's all about.

The outdoor activities that you named are exactly what we would want. As far as shopping and eating it seems there's no shortage! Traffic in Louisville where we live now sounds 10x worse than Greenville, that's something I would enjoy!

We will be visiting the area soon to look around and check it out 1st hand! Thanks very much!

Old 09-18-2013, 02:37 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Personally, I think of Simpsonville and Mauldin more in the context of families with school-age children rather than twenty-something professionals.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:34 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
The best outdoor activities are in the mountains to the north of Greenville, so you might want to check out areas like Travelers Rest and Greer. There a number of parks along Hwy 11, with hiking ranging from short walks on pavement up to strenuous overnight hikes. SC is blessed with a lot of waterfalls, being the southern escarpment of the Blue Ridge mountains. I think I read that there were some 160 plus named waterfalls in the upstate.

Biking, both road and off-road are popular in the area as well. There is white water rafting and kayaking on the Chatooga River as well as other venues, and flat water opportunities on a number of area lakes.

Living in the rural areas has a whole different vibe than downtown; only you can decide what works for you. We are much (much!) older, and opted to live in a rural area north of Greenville. Our preference is to have easy quick access to the mountains, with occasional jaunts into town for fine dining and cultural events. Still, we are only 15 miles from Main Street when the urge hits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area