Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 10:57 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I spent some time in Greenville and along with everyone else I thought the downtown was beautiful. They really have done an amazing job with it. I also thought North Greenville, the hilly neighborhood just north of downtown, was very pretty.

Most of the rest of the city I found to be fine but not eye-wateringly beautiful. The city has a number of commercial roads that extend out from the city center lined with gas stations, strip malls, fast good etc. And suburban neighborhoods run along those routes. it's perfectly nice but not stunning.

The best feature of course is the foothills of the mountains and I've seen on google maps some of the neighborhoods with mansions sitting right in those foothills. That's a very nice feature for the whole region as well as being so close to Asheville.
I don't really see anything special about Asheville. Greenville is larger and has more options. And it feels cleaner to me. Asheville feels, I don't know; crunchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 02:58 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
I don't really see anything special about Asheville. Greenville is larger and has more options. And it feels cleaner to me. Asheville feels, I don't know; crunchy.
We live in Greenville and love it. As for Asheville, we visit that beautiful city a least once a month. Being ‘crunchy” is what makes it so special. I use the word eclectic. The only negative thing about Asheville is the traffic. It is bad everywhere. It makes driving in and around Greenville a piece of cake.

Old 12-17-2023, 07:52 AM

328 posts, read 1,196,524 times
I’ve been in Greenville four years now. Moved down from the New York City suburbs. Best decision I ever made. I love the fact that Greenville is a small city with big city amenities. I’m five minutes from Woodruff Road, approximately 15 minutes to downtown. Yet live in a beautiful quiet neighborhood. My property taxes are low. The people here are friendly. It’s a great mix of locals and transplants. Honestly I wouldn’t want to live anywhere else. I realize Greenville will continue to grow in the coming years and the traffic in certain parts of the city will worsen. But compared to where I’m originally from, this is nothing in comparison. Life is great here in Greenville.

Old 12-17-2023, 09:40 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post

For the time being, my number one complaint about Greenville County is her road signage: Spartanburg Co's signage is superior, in my view.
You could live in Spartanburg. It is only 30 minutes or so to downtown Greenville, and you could take 29 / Wade Hampton to avoid interstate travel.

I don't recall hearing anything about traffic congestion in Spartanburg.

I looked at nice neighborhoods in Spartanburg off 29 around Willis Road 15 years ago. There's a YMCA, Sam's Club and Target nearby, and the mall, Best Buy, Costco are across the interstate. Spartanburg has nice parks for walking.

Spartanburg also has two of the legendary restaurants in this country, The Beacon Drive-In and Holmes Hot Dogs.

Old 12-17-2023, 01:53 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
We live in Greenville and love it. As for Asheville, we visit that beautiful city a least once a month. Being ‘crunchy” is what makes it so special. I use the word eclectic. The only negative thing about Asheville is the traffic. It is bad everywhere. It makes driving in and around Greenville a piece of cake.
There is more traffic and people in Greenville. Greenville county has more people than Asheville's whole metro area.

Old 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
You could live in Spartanburg. It is only 30 minutes or so to downtown Greenville, and you could take 29 / Wade Hampton to avoid interstate travel.

I don't recall hearing anything about traffic congestion in Spartanburg.

I looked at nice neighborhoods in Spartanburg off 29 around Willis Road 15 years ago. There's a YMCA, Sam's Club and Target nearby, and the mall, Best Buy, Costco are across the interstate. Spartanburg has nice parks for walking.

Spartanburg also has two of the legendary restaurants in this country, The Beacon Drive-In and Holmes Hot Dogs.
Now *that* is a great alternative; thank you for suggesting it

I had looked at alternatives west and north of GVL, but didn't think of Spartanburg...

Old 12-17-2023, 03:39 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
I love the fact that Greenville is a small city with big city amenities.
That's actually a great way to describe GVL, and healthcare is excellent too.

Old 12-19-2023, 09:19 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times
Using concrete for the interstates and primary roads rather than asphalt is my top druther. Smoother surface and doesn't deteriorate as fast. The 85 expansion section is concrete.

Adding bridges at major intersections like Pleasantburg and Wade Hampton with on off ramps would help the traffic flow.. That's an awkward intersection staying on Pleasantburg.

Some urban planners don't like bridges for aesthetic reasons.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:19 AM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
Quote:
NY Post has this article about a New Yorker's visit to Charlotte.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/12/opinio...s-no-new-york/

It sounds like he had culture shock and didn't think there was anything to do but go to a brewery and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. He couldn't even get utensils at one restaurant.

Uptown doesn't get mentioned.

I think Greenville would have been a better trip for him.
You have to know the history. A Charlotte Observer journalist who moved from NYC wrote a tounge in cheek article titled New York’s fine but it’s not Charlotte. This was a response to that article.

Old 12-20-2023, 12:29 AM

615 posts, read 536,419 times
Quote:
It is ok for people to express a different point of view. Schools and colleges have debate clubs for a reason.

You've said Greenville's infrastructure is horrible. I asked if you could give an example of a city with excellent infrastucture so I could understand where you are coming from. You state that is irrelevant. You also said pointing out traffic issues in Charlotte is irrelevant despite the original post mentioning both cities. I feel like that is an argumentative approach to a discussion.

If other cities are rolling out incredible infrastructure, Greenville should be able to learn from their techniques.

I also asked what you mean when you say people from the north are more fast paced than people from the south. That's a fair question. Seeking understanding of what another person means isn't a negative thing. It is communication.

Let's say a person from the south works in the ER in a small town in the Greenville area. His or her life is likely more hectic than an office worker from the north.
I read an article from a New Yorker about being fast paced. She said is about being fast paced at everything such as having your payment ready when you get to the cashier, walking fast, talking fast, eating fast, etc. my point is that the more of the northeastern people in your area then the more fast paced it becomes. See Atlanta. It has experienced 60 years of explosive growth from northeastern states. Charlotte has only seen about 30 years. Florida is another good example. Is Florida a southern state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area