Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 11:11 PM

15 posts, read 11,291 times

Advertisements

I have family in Charlotte and Cary. They recommended exploring Greenville as NC towns has grown too much.
I also have a friend who went to Clemson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 10:18 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 10 days ago)

727 posts, read 342,641 times
This area is one of the most populated metros in the country.

The growth the last 25 years feels like it should be about same level as Charlotte and Raleigh. You'll probably have to visit and drive around during rush hour and on Saturdays to get a feel for it.

There are a good number of people who compare Greenville and SC unfavourably to NC cities especially Charlotte, Raleigh, and Asheville on things like roads, schools, and culture but they typically like Greenville's downtown more than those city downtowns. NC's achilles heel seems to be their downtowns.

SC is a relatively poor state.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-30-2023 at 10:54 AM..

Old 11-30-2023, 10:38 AM

601 posts, read 458,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
Greenville's been growing for decades. It was called a New South city back in the 1940s.

Keep in mind the new south cities were the ones that flipped Republican first back in the day due to transplants coming down due to industrialization. It is odd people try to associate the more conservative areas today as more southern. FDR dominated Greenville and South Carolina in the 1930s. Nearly 100% of the vote. The Old South went for FDR and similar. I think everybody agrees a majority of people in Greenville are not like minded ancestors of FDR. Charlotte and Raleigh have more FDR philosophical ancestors.
The Democratic Party in the early 20th century was an odd alliance of big city Northern liberals (such as FDR), organized labor, and Southern conservatives. Many white Southerners didn't vote for Republicans because they were the ancestral enemy (the party of Lincoln). Politics was more regional back then, it's more national now. Southerners started breaking away to the Republican Party in the '60s (Barry Goldwater was popular in the Deep South).

Old 11-30-2023, 03:30 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,317,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromMN0 View Post
I have family in Charlotte and Cary. They recommended exploring Greenville as NC towns has grown too much.
I also have a friend who went to Clemson.
If they were trying to give the impression that Greenville SC isn't growing fast they misinformed you. It's one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

Old 11-30-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDWill1 View Post
The Democratic Party in the early 20th century was an odd alliance of big city Northern liberals (such as FDR), organized labor, and Southern conservatives. Many white Southerners didn't vote for Republicans because they were the ancestral enemy (the party of Lincoln). Politics was more regional back then, it's more national now. Southerners started breaking away to the Republican Party in the '60s (Barry Goldwater was popular in the Deep South).
It is strange a topic was created about growth and infrastucture in Greenville but a Charlotte resident randomly does a political and racial demographic comparison of Greenville with Raleigh and Charlotte which ultimately leads to a mention of the Arizona based candidate for president in 1964.

It is not accurate to say Greenville is more southern than a purple metro if Greenville became a red metro due to transplants. We know this because it shifted prior to those deep south states you mentioned.

Why use the geographical word southern if you mean conservative? It looks like a psyop to associate a group of people with the Old South. I think most people in Greenville would say Lincoln is one of the greatest presidents but Greenville is more Old South?

Last edited by LakeMan45; 11-30-2023 at 04:21 PM..

Old 11-30-2023, 10:59 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingFromMN0 View Post
Hi all,
We are planning a move to Simpsonville next summer from MN
Anyone else here moved from that part of the country. Looking forward to milder winters. Any other things one should be prepared for. Family of four with a middle school and an elementary school age kids.
Also, had an option for Charlotte but decided in favor of Greenville.
I somehow always thought Greenville has that small town feel vs Charlotte being typical spread out suburb. I could be totally off.
Is Greenville as saturated as Charlotte or is it still upcoming and has more room to appreciate.
Look forward to your thoughts. Thank you.
For 38 years I lived in Manhattan's shadow; I now live in Charlotte's suburbs.

I take a lot of heat for saying that Greenville County's infrastructure isn't up to snuff - my chief complaint about the area.

Greenville's dining scene is a lot more impressive than CLT, in my view: CLT has a lot of fine restaurants, and a lot of fast food chains, with not enough in between.

Greenville boasts an astoundingly - given her size - diverse dining scene - various cuisines are represented, at all price points; downtown GVL is walkable, it's a destination, and GVL's parks are wonderful.

Geographically, GVL is located near several small, charming, mountain towns.

The Upstate gets a nice taste of the winter, without having to deal with the hassles of snow: nights might dip into the upper 20's, but daytime temps are high 30's, low to mid 40's.

To anyone interested in GVL or CLT, I would suggest living near places of employment, as the infrastructure isn't where it ought to be.

Old 12-01-2023, 07:41 AM

What does take a lot of heat mean?

If somebody points out commute times are longer in Charlotte than Greenville and expresses their view there is nothing special about NC roads, do you see that as taking heat?

If the roads in SC are poor compared to most of the country, why do large manufacturing plants locate here? Hundreds of box trucks are arriving and leaving these plants every day.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-01-2023 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-01-2023, 10:32 AM

The portion of 85 near the NC state line that has been completed is one of the nicest interstates I have seen. Typically I zone out while I'm driving but that stretch got my attention.

That stretch is significantly better than 85 in NC between the state line and Gastonia. Once the expansion project is complete, that'll be 40 miles or so of top shelf interstate.

The 85-385 interchange that was upgraded recently in Greenville is one of the best interstate interchanges that I've seen. That was the second most expensive infratstructure project in state history at the time.

This was the tweet the SC DOT put out in 2020 about this interchange:

New I-85/I-385 “Gateway” Interchange Receives Best-in-Class Transportation Award

Gateway Recognized as #1 in “Operations Excellence” in Southeast

"The value Greenville area residents and businesses have gained from the new I-85/I-385 Interchange since it opened to traffic has just been affirmed with an award of excellence the project received from the Southeastern Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (SASHTO).

The new interchange, known as the “Gateway” project, has received SASHTO’s top award for “Operations Excellence” among large road and highway projects across 13 Southeastern states and Puerto Rico. The project’s design, engineering and construction was recognized for excellence in delivering a “more reliable, well-functioning, and safer transportation system.”

“SCDOT’s top priority is to deliver the best transportation system possible to South Carolina’s citizens and businesses,” said Secretary of Transportation Christy Hall. “The Gateway project meets that objective, and we’re very excited that the hard work and professionalism of our employees, contractors and partners are recognized by one of the top transportation organizations in the nation.”

The $300 million project opened to traffic on December 6, 2019 and includes 10 new bridges, the rehabilitation of three others, several new ramps, additional travel lanes, and reconfiguration of two interstates. Gateway incorporates operational improvements, such as eliminating the tight loop ramps and replacing them with flyovers to provide free-flowing movement through the interchange.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-01-2023 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-02-2023, 10:16 AM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
The portion of 85 near the NC state line that has been completed is one of the nicest interstates I have seen. Typically I zone out while I'm driving but that stretch got my attention.

That stretch is significantly better than 85 in NC between the state line and Gastonia. Once the expansion project is complete, that'll be 40 miles or so of top shelf interstate.
Agreed, and that while the 85 project took a long time, they did do a very nice job.

Old 12-02-2023, 10:24 AM

Here's an article about interstate 85 congestion in the Gastonia area of Charlotte. https://www.wbtv.com/2022/08/25/ncdo...ard-with-idea/ Gastonia is the western edge of the metro.

They interview residents who don't think expanding that section of interstate will help any. The NC DOT claims it will take 6 years to expand it. If you live in that area, you'll be dealing with major delays for 6 plus years that are already horrible without construction.

I'm surprised when I see a Charlotte or other big city resident criticize infrastructure in Greenville. I worked in Uptown Charlotte for a few months 20 years ago and traffic was a bear. Greenville has congestion but it isn't in the ballpark of Charlotte 20 years ago, yet. If traffic is a person's big concern, I recommend considering the small towns Seneca or Greenwood in western SC. Traffic will continue to get worse in Greenville due to all the people moving here.

The 85 expansion project in SC was likely delayed due to how government agencies approached covid policy. It seems like the NC DOT has been expanding the interstate between Hendersonville and Asheville for a decade.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-02-2023 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area