Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2023, 06:24 AM
Status: "dreaming of Glacier National Park" (set 8 days ago)

721 posts, read 341,550 times

Advertisements

"In a NY minute" is a marketing statement, not a fact of life.

Greenville has a ton of NY transplants. They haven't sped anything up to my knowledge. Greenville is one of the most transplanted metros in the country over the past 100 years. I'd be surprised if even 10% of Greenville residents have ancestors who lived in the south during the Civil War. Most people don't understand how small the population of SC was in the civil war era.

The name of cuisine at a restaurant is not related to the geographic location of the city.

If you say people from the north are fast paced, you are saying the cast of the reality show Jersey Shore are fast paced.

I suspect most people living in NY consider a city in the southern part of the country with a NASCAR race and the NASCAR Hall of Fame to be "Southern".

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-16-2023 at 07:14 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2023, 07:37 AM

Article about traffic congestion in Charlotte.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/lo...0-5af2cb1e67a3

This article discusses the traffic meltdown at the Charlotte airport over Thanksgiving.

https://www.wfae.org/business/2023-1...-have-thoughts

Keep in mind NC has the highest gas tax in the southeast and #8 highest in the country.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:06 AM

NY Post has this article about a New Yorker's visit to Charlotte.

https://nypost.com/2023/11/12/opinio...s-no-new-york/

It sounds like he had culture shock and didn't think there was anything to do but go to a brewery and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. He couldn't even get utensils at one restaurant.

Uptown doesn't get mentioned.

I think Greenville would have been a better trip for him.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:37 PM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
This isn't my debate, but I would like to add my anecdotal experience. I've spent a bunch of time in Charlotte. To me if doesn't feel 'fast paced'. Other than larger area with bigger buildings I drive around there like I'm right here in this area. As for transplants, that's not just Charlotte. I can't remember the last time I've talked to a Greenville native. I know Charlotte is a great deal larger, but Greenville is also heavily transplanted. Now Atlanta on the other hand is a night and day difference. I dread that city.

Old 12-16-2023, 01:18 PM
NDL

4,516 posts, read 5,642,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMan45 View Post
"In a NY minute" is a marketing statement, not a fact of life.
You're right: it's a baseless schtick.

Quote:
Article about traffic congestion in Charlotte.

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/lo...0-5af2cb1e67a3

This article discusses the traffic meltdown at the Charlotte airport over Thanksgiving.

https://www.wfae.org/business/2023-1...-have-thoughts

Keep in mind NC has the highest gas tax in the southeast and #8 highest in the country.
What does this have to do with Greenville's infrastructure?

Nothing.

Who made this a comparison between Charlotte and Greenville?

You did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
This isn't my debate, but I would like to add my anecdotal experience. I've spent a bunch of time in Charlotte. To me if doesn't feel 'fast paced'. Other than larger area with bigger buildings I drive around there like I'm right here in this area. As for transplants, that's not just Charlotte. I can't remember the last time I've talked to a Greenville native. I know Charlotte is a great deal larger, but Greenville is also heavily transplanted. Now Atlanta on the other hand is a night and day difference. I dread that city.
Parts of Charlotte vary, in my experience: some are better than others. When I mentioned fast paced, I wasn't thinking so much about how people comport themselves in stores, but I did think of driving patterns.

Old 12-16-2023, 03:21 PM

The original post appeared to be soliciting a comparison between Greenville and Charlotte regarding traffic.

Another Charlotte resident posted a long comparison which included stuff not related to infrastructure, and he included Raleigh.

You agreed with that Charlotte resident's opinions about there being a different culture in Charlotte than Greenville.

You seem to have an curious disinterest regarding traffic issues in Charlotte despite living there but a strong interest and frustration with Greenville traffic. If I was not posting on this topic, a person unfamliar with these two metros might think Charlotte has a better traffic situation, based on a Charlotte resident's strong criticism of Greenville's infrastructure.

Accessing Woodruff Rd in Greenville isn't a necessity to enjoy living here. There are plenty of other places to eat and shop that aren't on Woodruff Rd if you think the traffic is unbearable over there. You can access a Target, movie theater, Lowe's, Home Depot, Barnes & Noble, Sam's Club, etc elsewhere in the Greenville metro. Sounds like a new Whole Foods Market store is going to be built in downtown at the University Square development near Falls Park.

Basically the only reason I go to Woodruff Rd is to get something at Academy or Dick's sporting goods or Best Buy. But many people especially young people want to live around Woodruff Road. It is probably hard to find a greater density of shops, restaurants and entertainment venue than the Woodruff - Haywood - Pelham Rd area in Greenville. You don't have to drive long distances to get to a wide variety of stuff.

I grew up in a small town so I think I appreciate how much Greenville has more than perhaps some people who are from big cities.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-16-2023 at 04:08 PM..

Old 12-16-2023, 05:23 PM
NDL

Quote:
The original post appeared to be soliciting a comparison between Greenville and Charlotte regarding traffic.

Another Charlotte resident posted a long comparison which included stuff not related to infrastructure, and he included Raleigh.

You agreed with that Charlotte resident's opinions about there being a different culture in Charlotte than Greenville.

You seem to have an curious disinterest regarding traffic issues in Charlotte despite living there but a strong interest and frustration with Greenville traffic. If I was not posting on this topic, a person unfamliar with these two metros might think Charlotte has a better traffic situation, based on a Charlotte resident's strong criticism of Greenville's infrastructure.
Clem, you like to debate simply for the sake of arguing.

I wish you well

Old 12-16-2023, 08:45 PM

It is ok for people to express a different point of view. Schools and colleges have debate clubs for a reason.

You've said Greenville's infrastructure is horrible. I asked if you could give an example of a city with excellent infrastucture so I could understand where you are coming from. You state that is irrelevant. You also said pointing out traffic issues in Charlotte is irrelevant despite the original post mentioning both cities. I feel like that is an argumentative approach to a discussion.

If other cities are rolling out incredible infrastructure, Greenville should be able to learn from their techniques.

I also asked what you mean when you say people from the north are more fast paced than people from the south. That's a fair question. Seeking understanding of what another person means isn't a negative thing. It is communication.

Let's say a person from the south works in the ER in a small town in the Greenville area. His or her life is likely more hectic than an office worker from the north.

Last edited by LakeMan45; 12-16-2023 at 09:11 PM..

Old 12-16-2023, 09:12 PM
NDL

Quote:
It is ok for people to express a different point of view. Schools and colleges have debate clubs for a reason.

You've said Greenville's infrastructure is horrible. I asked if you could give an example of a city with excellent infrastucture so I could understand where you are coming from. You state that is irrelevant. I feel like that is an argumentative approach to a discussion.
Here's the thing: I am not interested in living anywhere else other than western SC, so any other place, for comparative purposes, is of no interest to me. Why would I introduce it into the discussion?

Charlotte's infrastructure is lacking. What I do like about Charlotte, is that the City is densifying her urban core - it isn't as spread out as Atlanta.

But my interest in Charlotte is waning.

Greenville is perfectly situated geographically; the area is aesthetically attractive; she boasts an incredible number of restaurants and markets; her parks are great; it's a fantastic smaller city.

The Woodruff Road corridor is terrible, and aside from that, segments of 14 get overwhelmed. Other parts of Greenville aren't problematic - today. My concern is over tomorrow, not today: the region is growing, and while the City of GVL has a firm grasp on growth, I have questions about how the County is handling it.

I see Georgia's roads as being superior, but because she's so spread out, traffic is horrible; you well noted Charlotte's issues.

For the time being, my number one complaint about Greenville County is her road signage: Spartanburg Co's signage is superior, in my view.

Old 12-16-2023, 09:37 PM

577 posts, read 560,509 times
I spent some time in Greenville and along with everyone else I thought the downtown was beautiful. They really have done an amazing job with it. I also thought North Greenville, the hilly neighborhood just north of downtown, was very pretty.

Most of the rest of the city I found to be fine but not eye-wateringly beautiful. The city has a number of commercial roads that extend out from the city center lined with gas stations, strip malls, fast good etc. And suburban neighborhoods run along those routes. it's perfectly nice but not stunning.

The best feature of course is the foothills of the mountains and I've seen on google maps some of the neighborhoods with mansions sitting right in those foothills. That's a very nice feature for the whole region as well as being so close to Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area