Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2023, 02:48 AM

604 posts, read 583,310 times

Advertisements

What's more amazing is that the meteorologists on the same station don't even agree with each other. Chris Justus seems like a nice kid, but he always goes to the extreme when forecasting. "If these 47 different factors all happen, we'll have three feet of snow!" We call him Chicken Little. Parella will have a different, usually less extreme forecast.

Years ago, I had a friend who was a TV meteorologist. He said we usually get the forecast right, but the location wrong. If the rain misses you by 10 miles, everyone says you blew it. I think mountain weather is particularly tricky. I don't know how many times I've watched it pour in Hendersonville, stop in Tigerville (where I live) then resume down in Greer. I live in a very localized rain shadow when the weather comes from the north.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2023, 08:29 AM

144 posts, read 146,102 times
I see now that they are predicting heavy rains on Sunday and snow along the NC/SC border. We live just a few miles from there.
But frankly, living in the area we are in most of the storms we have had so far don't seem nearly as bad as the predictions.

Old 12-09-2023, 02:43 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,756,471 times
Check out the latest NWS forecast for Sunday night. “Rain showers likely before 3am, then a slight chance of rain and snow showers. Patchy fog before 10pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery, with a north northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 9 to 14 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.”

Old 12-09-2023, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Sarcasm?
Absolutely not. We have good weather forecasters in the Upstate, in an area that is difficult to forecast. They do a great job, they are good people, and they care about our community. We should be grateful for what do they to help keep us informed and safe.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:02 PM

7,258 posts, read 4,624,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Check out the latest NWS forecast for Sunday night. “Rain showers likely before 3am, then a slight chance of rain and snow showers. Patchy fog before 10pm. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 31. Blustery, with a north northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to 9 to 14 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.”
Well look at that! Looks like cold air chasing rain, which is very hard for us to see snow from though. But we shall see. NWS accumulation maps show none for SC, dusting chances NC regions.
https://www.weather.gov/gsp/winter
Tis the season!

Old 12-09-2023, 04:23 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:

Is it just me or did no one really call that it was basically going to rain all day today? They said it would Sunday, but..

Old 12-10-2023, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Is it just me or did no one really call that it was basically going to rain all day today? They said it would Sunday, but..
It is just you. If you looked at the hourly forecast for the day, you would have seen it was almost spot on, including the few hours of a dry period between 5:00 to 11:00, during the Christmas Parade. If you understand weather forecasting, especially in the southeast, you would know the least little thing can affect our weather. An example was the prior weekend, when more rain was forecast than we got. Strong storms formed along the Gulf coast that zapped energy from our area. The mountains, the Gulf coast and the Atlantic Ocean create unexpected atmospheric weather events that even computer models don’t pick up. Overall, our forecasters do a great job.

Old 12-10-2023, 04:02 AM

604 posts, read 583,310 times
Yesterday we 1.16" of rain here in Tigerville, which seems like a lot more than they had predicted. Looking at the radar this morning, we might not get as much today as yesterday. Go figure. As was said, this is a tricky area to predict.

Old 12-10-2023, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
What's more amazing is that the meteorologists on the same station don't even agree with each other. Chris Justus seems like a nice kid, but he always goes to the extreme when forecasting. "If these 47 different factors all happen, we'll have three feet of snow!" We call him Chicken Little. Parella will have a different, usually less extreme forecast.

Years ago, I had a friend who was a TV meteorologist. He said we usually get the forecast right, but the location wrong. If the rain misses you by 10 miles, everyone says you blew it. I think mountain weather is particularly tricky. I don't know how many times I've watched it pour in Hendersonville, stop in Tigerville (where I live) then resume down in Greer. I live in a very localized rain shadow when the weather comes from the north.
That nice “kid” is 40 years old.

Old 12-10-2023, 11:10 AM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
It is just you. If you looked at the hourly forecast for the day, you would have seen it was almost spot on, including the few hours of a dry period between 5:00 to 11:00, during the Christmas Parade. If you understand weather forecasting, especially in the southeast, you would know the least little thing can affect our weather. An example was the prior weekend, when more rain was forecast than we got. Strong storms formed along the Gulf coast that zapped energy from our area. The mountains, the Gulf coast and the Atlantic Ocean create unexpected atmospheric weather events that even computer models don’t pick up. Overall, our forecasters do a great job.
You can only cry wolf so many times. Im glad you think they do a great job, but I cant depend on any of them anymore to be accurate. Even the "good ones" IMO have fallen to the corporate order to cause chaos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area