Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times

Advertisements

The big dividing line in Florida IMO is not among people of various ethnic groups - but among people in various economic classes. I live in a mostly upper middle class and richer community in NE Florida (a fair number of my neighbors are playing in the US Open this weekend ) - and no one cares what you look like as long as you maintain your property. The lower you go on the totem pole in terms of money - the more likely you are to run into racial and ethnic tensions and divisions - and possible downright hostility. FWIW - I don't think Florida is unique in this regard. Robyn

Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 PM

233 posts, read 530,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
And, geez, within the black community, South Florida has a TON of diversity between Haitians, Jamaicans, African Americans from the northeast, African Americans from the South, European blacks, Hispanic blacks, etc, etc of all different classes.
I have a family member who went to Ely and said the tension there was not racial tension-he never had any problems, but that the tension between Haitans and African Americans was really intense at times.

Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
The big dividing line in Florida IMO is not among people of various ethnic groups - but among people in various economic classes. I live in a mostly upper middle class and richer community in NE Florida (a fair number of my neighbors are playing in the US Open this weekend ) - and no one cares what you look like as long as you maintain your property. The lower you go on the totem pole in terms of money - the more likely you are to run into racial and ethnic tensions and divisions - and possible downright hostility. FWIW - I don't think Florida is unique in this regard. Robyn
I think you have it completely right.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 PM

58 posts, read 117,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
How strange how blacks say the "N* word all day long but once a white person says it all hell breaks loose, poor white guy gets fired and all his friends shun him. Then FOX or CNN get's it on video and poor white guy is screwed for life ..... all the while every Ghetto in the US the *N* word is spoken every day all the time. Not to mention 80% of all Rap songs have the *N* word and other graphic language about prostitutes, guns, murders and about how white people are scum of the Earth. Why is it blacks in other countries [ Brazil-Colombia-Costa Rica-Panama-Spain-Portugal ] never complain or blame anyone for their problems?

In the USA every one has the same opportunity - green, yellow, black, white.
This is not true at all because of people like you....

Old 06-20-2010, 10:44 PM

58 posts, read 117,464 times
Quote:
I think you have it completely right.

This is not true at all and no she "doesn't have it completely right". I know for a fact some neighborhoods in N.E. FL that are"richer" would not want a minority person or family living next to them at all, no matter how they maintained their property or how much money they had....

Old 06-20-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyReady View Post
This is not true at all and no she "doesn't have it completely right". I know for a fact some neighborhoods in N.E. FL that are"richer" would not want a minority person or family living next to them at all, no matter how they maintained their property or how much money they had....
I happen to think this is very true about Broward in particular and the working class eastern portion vs. the relatively wealthy western suburbs. South Florida is a liberal bastion and very generally speaking here, the wealthier you are, the more socially liberal and inclusive your tendencies run.

I dont know northern Florida at all, so I'll just remain neutral on my opinion for up there.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 AM

19 posts, read 49,959 times
Quote:
I happen to think this is very true about Broward in particular and the working class eastern portion vs. the relatively wealthy western suburbs. South Florida is a liberal bastion and very generally speaking here, the wealthier you are, the more socially liberal and inclusive your tendencies run.

I dont know northern Florida at all, so I'll just remain neutral on my opinion for up there.
This not about NE Fla...
which is totally redneck
This thread is about Ft Lauderdale

Old 06-21-2010, 12:09 AM

19 posts, read 49,959 times
I would say this, being new down here. There doesnt seem to be much tension, but there is little comunication between neighbors at all

Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 AM

My block in Plantation is like one big social club. Everyone talks, everyone is in each other's houses, people lunch, babysit, went to school together, help work on projects, share names and numbers of good employees, etc. I cant even go out and get the mail without winding up in conversation. First place Ive lived in Broward like this. Last place like this was a patio home on a cul de sac in Country Walk where everybody had little kids the same age.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:07 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,188,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyReady View Post
Why the concern about these neighborhoods who don't want a minority to live near them? It happens, stay away from them. Life will be easier elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area