Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 07:01 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where to post about Ft. Lauderdale, here or under Miami since they're kinda close. What are opinions about relocation to Ft. Laurderdale. I'm single, 30, no kids, work in administrative. How difficult (and dangerous - where to stay away from) a move would that be? Thanks. Also, does it matter if you spell it Fort or Ft.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:58 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Use the search tool and key in "Ft. Lauderdale" and "Fort Lauderdale. These very questions have been discussed several times over the past weeks and months, you will find specific information on which neighborhoods are good and which to avoid.

Generally, speaking since you are young and single, and assuming that saving is not a big priority for you, you may prefer to spend extra money on rent and live in one of the better coastal neighborhoods.

Anyway, good luck!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,151,705 times
Default Bale002

Thanks! Didn't even occur to me. I guess it's too early in the morning =)

Old 06-13-2007, 08:42 AM

20 posts, read 72,609 times
I relocated to Ft. Lauderdale a few months ago from Minneapolis Minnesota and I love it here. I am 28 and single so we're pretty close in age. A few things to keep in mind though about coming here.

Absolutly live east of I 95 near the Intercoastal or the beach. Check out area codes 33301 or 33308 when looking.

Also remember that job hunting here can be a bit rough, but if you are looking into the professional type jobs and have experience it shouldn't be too tough; salaries might be lower that you are used to in CT however.

You will find that the nightlife kind of revolves around the downtown area too, so keep that in mind although it is pretty easy to get around here. Traffic on 95 or 595 is terrible so that is why East is good.

Any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Nick

Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 AM

518 posts, read 2,225,717 times
As I told another poster recently, those who are younger, single, no kids and make an above-average salary probably will enjoy Fort Lauderdale.

I have lived since 1989 in the 33308 ZIP code mentioned previously, first as a single renter and then as a married homeowner. It's a good place to be if you can afford it.

You might like the Port Royale development located between the Intracoastal and U.S. 1 in northern Fort Lauderdale. It consists of a high-rise condo and three low-rise apartment complexes and is geared toward a younger, upscale crowd.

As for areas to avoid, the rule of thumb for my neck of the woods in northern Lauderdale is to stay east of Dixie Highway, and areas along Andrews Avenue all the way into downtown tend to be iffy. North of Broward Boulevard, avoid neighborhoods that border I-95.

A final word on I-95: Whatever you do, avoid moving someplace that will force you to make a daily commute on this road from hell. All big metropolitan areas have heavy traffic, but I-95 is the worst I've seen for angry drivers, road debris and sheer craziness.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Both posts are very well said! Actual traffic is not so bad from what I have seen compared to other metropolitan areas but the drivers are just MAD! As far as where all of the young professionals live these posts have hit it dead on! The rest of Ft Lauderdale is getting run down, although most areas east of 95 are improving rapidly. An exception is along Sunrise BLVD west of U.S 1 through the rest of Ft. L. It can be a little scary down there! Stay away from the Sistrunk area as well for safety. Otherwise most of the city and its surrounding area is somewhat safe,with the areas the previous poster mentioned being an exception. but for where to live, like i said, the other posts have it dead on!

Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM

20 posts, read 72,609 times
Chisoxfan made mention of the Port Royale development in the post above. I actually live within that development and it is a great place for younger single professionals. I would say take a look into it, the people are friendly and it is close to most places in the city.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,667 times
Fort Lauderdale is nice... I have experienced the western sububurs (Weston) as well as the ocean front condo and they both have different things to offer. I would say, think about where you are going to work and try to get something within easy commute. Also just because you are young, professional with good income doesn't mean you HAVE to rent... sure renting at first is probably a good idea but keep your options open for buying as well. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I will try to help!

Welcome to FL, you gonnna love it... i guarantee it

Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 PM

90 posts, read 368,389 times
This is a great and very helpful thread!

Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM

9 posts, read 133,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
I'm not sure where to post about Ft. Lauderdale, here or under Miami since they're kinda close. What are opinions about relocation to Ft. Laurderdale. I'm single, 30, no kids, work in administrative. How difficult (and dangerous - where to stay away from) a move would that be? Thanks. Also, does it matter if you spell it Fort or Ft.?
I moved from Coral Gables to Fort Lauderdale. Less traffic, less Spanish. (no offense) You said you were 30 right? Somewhere near the beach. Hollywood has the most beautiful beaches. I have lived there. Nice people, great night life, handsome men. Stay south of Sheridan Blvd. I now live in West Sunrise, I like the convenience of all the restaurants and stores but HATE the place I inherited because of the Condo Association and the HOA rules. I would like to feel that my home is mine and not theirs. Whatever you do, if you are going to buy, make sure you ask others and do your research on Condo Comando Squads and HOA'S. Check for foreclosures to buy, very cheap right now. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Need Answer; 04-17-2012 at 11:31 AM.. Reason: Punctuation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area