Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 12:34 PM

433 posts, read 1,013,191 times

Advertisements

I live outside of Orlando and am looking to move right into Orlando soon, but I have a real good buddy in south florida who is looking for a roomate eventually. When I say South Florida I am not talking about Miami but somewhere in the stretch between West palm and Fort Lauderdale.

I figure Orlando would be better because I am in the service industry and work in restaurants and I know that these businesses stop hiring very soon and that the big season will be over in South Florida.

In Orlando there is more of a client base because it's a city and tourism lasts through the summer. Also there will be people hiring when all the colleges break in another month or so.

To top it off I like to go out and socialize and network and while South Florida definately seems to have some cool young peope I'm pretty sure there is much less of them and that the nightlife is more sporatic and spread out. Also it seems there are less organized groups and social activities for young people, while Orlando seems jam packed with them.

So I've pretty much made up my mind here but is there something I may have wrong or that I am missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 12:40 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,158,133 times
While I don't yet live in FL, I will put out there what I consider for myself.

Would you rather be closer to the beach? I'm sure you would be in S. FL.

I know I've visited Boca and love it there. But I also love Orlando. I just don't know if I would wanna be 1-2 hours from the beach.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:42 PM

Laos, would it be cheaper in Orlando then it would be in S. FL? To live.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:43 PM

Ha! I really need to spellcheck first, that should be "Also"

Old 03-26-2010, 04:31 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,068,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I live outside of Orlando and am looking to move right into Orlando soon, but I have a real good buddy in south florida who is looking for a roomate eventually. When I say South Florida I am not talking about Miami but somewhere in the stretch between West palm and Fort Lauderdale.

I figure Orlando would be better because I am in the service industry and work in restaurants and I know that these businesses stop hiring very soon and that the big season will be over in South Florida.

In Orlando there is more of a client base because it's a city and tourism lasts through the summer. Also there will be people hiring when all the colleges break in another month or so.

To top it off I like to go out and socialize and network and while South Florida definately seems to have some cool young peope I'm pretty sure there is much less of them and that the nightlife is more sporatic and spread out. Also it seems there are less organized groups and social activities for young people, while Orlando seems jam packed with them.

So I've pretty much made up my mind here but is there something I may have wrong or that I am missing?
I don't know where your getting your stats from... more jobs? more nightlife in Orlando, really? are you counting the Disney Parades as nightlife??? Seriously. That city is a Mouse dump. Maybe if you were talking about Tampa I would understand your post but Orlando has always had a crappier job market than S. Florida.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:16 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,481,485 times
Eagle>

You couldn't be more off on just about everything. Nightlife especially. South FL nightlife is much better and more abundant than Orlando. South FL also probably has more young people than Orlando and less retirees. Jobs are a wash. Orlando is a big city, but so is South FL. Fort Lauderdale/West Palm combined are comparable to Orlando in population. Orlando is far more spread out, and Fort Lauderdale/West Palm are more compact. Everything is close to the Atlantic. I really do not see any advantage from a jobs standpoint right now. Unless you have something concrete down here, stay where you are. That's all. You might want to take a trip down here a few days and visit to get an idea.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,704,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
I don't know where your getting your stats from... more jobs? more nightlife in Orlando, really? are you counting the Disney Parades as nightlife??? Seriously. That city is a Mouse dump. Maybe if you were talking about Tampa I would understand your post but Orlando has always had a crappier job market than S. Florida.
lol you must not know the real orlando. Outside of the tourist corridor.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Outside of the theme parks, Orlando is basically is large spread out system of suburbs. It is a very disconnected city. You have to drive far to get everywhere. I've never really cared for Orlando. When I drive up to North FL or GA, I never stop there. Gainesville and Tallahassee are more exciting to me.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:44 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,704,089 times
the core of Orlando (South of Downtown, up through downtown and up to winter park) offers a lot. Have you ever been there?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:55 PM

Yes I have. I'm not saying the whole place is a dump. I'm sure there are nice little enclaves. But as a whole, Orlando does not compare with South FL in terms of nightlife and things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area