Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:40 AM

433 posts, read 1,011,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
-There are more young people in South FL than Orlando. It baffles me why you think otherwise.
Well I won't be living in Miami. I know for sure placs like west palm have a higher old person to young person ratio than Orlando. If your logic is to take the entire south florida population and say that there are more young people there than Orlando than your probably right but by that logic there are tons more old people than Orlando too.

You have to understand that I am going to have to pick a location in South Florida if I were to relocate there and there is no location I can think of that has more young people in one place than Orlando unless you factor in Miami.

Quote:
First, the overall population of South FL is bigger than Orlando. There are 1.5 million residents in Broward and 1.5 million in Palm Beach County. That is excluding Dade County which has about 3 million

Quote:
South FL's entertainment season ends early while Orlando's doesn't? Not sure where you heard that one.
From everyone that lives in Orlando and from employee's that work there.

Quote:
All of FL is busier in the winter months and gets slow in the summer.
Only cities can sustain some sort of reliable client base during the summer in Florida, and Orlando is also a top tourist destination. They stay busy in the summer because the kids are out of school as well.

Quote:
You can live in Las Olas, Fort Lauderdale Beach, and downtown Hollywood and be able to walk to all of the bars.
So your saying I could pick a location where I could walk to most of the nightlife in Fort lauderdale and downtown hollywood?? How many miles do you think I can walk? lol. Are you sure about this?

Quote:
The one big advantage you have in Ft. Lauderdale is you are 30 minutes from South Beach.
This is true and very cool but I tend to like to go hit clubs or bars and that's a fortune in South beach, from what I hear we're talkin 40 just to get in the door and if I don't have hot girls with me I better start meeting some if I want to get in for even that cheap! Still it would be nice to have the luxery of it availuable here and there, and even just walking around there is probably cool.

Quote:
You're not giving West Palm much credit. While not as exciting as Fort Lauderdale, it has Clematis Street which is a hot nightlife area and is getting bigger fast.
That's awesome but again I want to live somewhere that is very close to a good amount of nightlife so I dont get bored of it too easily. I want to have tons of options. By that logic if I were to pick to live in a place like West Palm then I would only really have daily conveniant access to West palms nightlife which is easily eclipsed by Orlando's night life.

This state is very hard to make money in and requires working a lot. Without easy quick access to tons of nightlife that is conveniant I just would never get out. Right now I live a 15 minute drive from nightlife and often if there isn't a dd I don't go out because I don't wanna drop 35 bucks on a round trip cab fare.

Quote:
As far as Orlando, I have not gone out there much.
That much is obvious. Many that are replying here don't seem to be aware of Orlando's real nightlife. It has nothing to do with the universal/disneyland stuff. It's a seperate entity.

Quote:
I rarely ever go to Orlando for anything.
So then how can you give me unbiased advice man??

I'm trying to make the right decision here. I respect that you are very passionate about south florida and you have given me some things to think about when it comes to the area but your advice doesn't seem very spot on when it comes to Orlando. You also seem to assume that I have the money and time to just drive all around south florida. I dont. Any place that is not in the immediate area of where I live would end up being a luxery here and there and not something I could enjoy very often.I would either have to find someone with the same schedule who wants to go to the same place at the same time and is willing to drive or I would have to drive there. If I wanted to drink I would have to stay in a hotel there.

Quote:
I have heard from friends that the nightlife scene there is very dull.
Really? To me it seems much funner with better venues than Fort Lauderdale. Again it was very very cold when I went out in lauderdale but the venues didn't seem as cutting edge or cool as I was expecting since Lauderdale is often called a mini-Miami.

I was very impressed by the hardrock cafe but Orlando has citywalk which is comparable and that's not even part of what I consider the bulk of the Orlando nightlife.

Quote:
In South FL everything stays open all night.
A valid point here to add to the whole beach thing.

Quote:
As I said already, in South FL you are between West Palm, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale. So you have 3 major nightlife areas to choose from whereas in Orlando you have one.
Collectively yes it beats Orlando but how often will I be able to take advantage compared to Orlando? That's what I'm worried about.

Quote:
-Delray Beach- not a reflection of South FL in any way shape or form. Just a small little enclave. Delray has a very old population with a few young people mixed in.
I loved my night out in Delray and will be going again.

Quote:
You are probably right that you would get bored there fast.
If I lived there and that was my only easy access nightlife then yes I would, again it has nothing on Orlando pound for pound -- although the girls were sizzling hot, flirty, and classy.

Quote:

In conclusion, it sounds like you've already made up your mind. You seem to think everything is better in Orlando. So not sure why you are wasting your time on here.
I don't think everything is better in orlando I just think orlando is probably easier for me to find a place to live where I can go out a lot and meet people. When your working 50 hours + a week and you get out at 1130 at night and you feel like having a couple beers to unwind and then hitting one of the many area clubs and bars within a 5 minute drive I think Orlando has to be the winner (short of Miami). MAYBE Fort lauderdale area is as good but I have my doubts based on my trip there. If I thought Orlando was a wash up against Lauderdale then the other area's like Miami and west palm would definately put things over the top for me, but then there would still be the offseason thing to worry about.

I think if you actually knew about the nightlife first hand in Orlando you would probably give it the nod over lauderdale, over hollywood, and over west palm. Miami is better but also much more expensive and I don't plan to live in Miami. Collectively the area seems very appealing to me but I question how much I am going to be able to make 30-45 minute trips this way and that way to experience it, especially if my restaurant jobs arn't paying the bills because of the offseason.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 03-28-2010 at 01:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 10:14 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,692,685 times
again, i think your making the right choice. move into downtown Orlando or a surrounding downtown neighborhood. It has anything you could need outside of the night life in walking distance as well (dinning, grocery store, library, museums, sports venues, art venues, etc) And downtown Orlando's night life is busy year round because it is full of locals, not tourists like ft. lauderdale hollywood and west palm. Orlando's tourist corridor has busier seasons because of tourists, but downtown is consistent with locals year round, even during the busy times for tourists (spring summer) downtown Orlando barely gets any of them. Its not near the tourist corridor.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:18 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
LOL, anyone that thinks Orlando's weak nightlife is better than SE Florida nightlife needs to get out more. Only on CD would you hear these outrageous claims. People from all over the world know about SE Florida's nightlife, Orlando is known for Kiddie themeparks and no beach.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
museums
What museums? LOL the one with the plastic orange tree in the middle.lol

Old 03-28-2010, 11:02 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
ComSense>

What difference does it make in per capita vs. sheer numbers? The fact is that South FL still has more young people than Orlando regardless of how you measure it. That goes against what Eagle claimed. Also, I highly doubt the per capita part too. Did you just make that up? You said the median age is 32 in both cities, so I would venture to bet that both areas have about the same young population per capita.

Orlando is NOT a retirement destination? LOL. Who are you joking? It is more of a retiree destination than South FL today. South FL IS NOT retirement king anymore. That was back in the 70's and 80's. Today, retirees are no longer flocking here in droves. Orlando is a bigger retirement destination these days. South FL has shifted younger in recent decades. That is because there is no land left here and things like traffic, crime, and population are too much for retirees to put up with. There are still lots of snowbirds with condos on the beach, but not permanent retirees. Retirees are now flocking to suburban Orlando, the West coast, and NC.

Orlando has a stronger economy? WOW. Now we are smoking some good dope. That is another laughable statement. Maybe in theme park revenues, but not in every other sector. As DailyJournalist said, South FL is the economic engine of FL.

Old 03-28-2010, 11:28 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Well I won't be living in Miami. I know for sure placs like west palm have a higher old person to young person ratio than Orlando. If your logic is to take the entire south florida population and say that there are more young people there than Orlando than your probably right but by that logic there are tons more old people than Orlando too.

You have to understand that I am going to have to pick a location in South Florida if I were to relocate there and there is no location I can think of that has more young people in one place than Orlando unless you factor in Miami.

Ok Eagle, just about everything you said in those 2 paragraphs are false. First, I DID NOT include Miami in my previous posts arguments. I used Broward and Palm Beach counties only as their population is comparable to Orlando. There are NOT many more old people in South FL compared to Orlando. If you live along the beach areas in Broward County, there are tons of young people in one place. So again, you want to believe there is nowhere in South FL that young, but you are wrong.

From everyone that lives in Orlando and from employee's that work there.

Only cities can sustain some sort of reliable client base during the summer in Florida, and Orlando is also a top tourist destination. They stay busy in the summer because the kids are out of school as well.

So Fort Lauderdale is not a city? West Palm Beach is not a city? Orlando is about the same size in population as Broward County and Palm Beach.

So your saying I could pick a location where I could walk to most of the nightlife in Fort lauderdale and downtown hollywood?? How many miles do you think I can walk? lol. Are you sure about this?

LOL Yes. I am very sure about this. So are 100 other posters on here. Las Olas is the downtown area of Fort Lauderdale. You can walk to Riverfront and Las Olas Blvd from any number of highrise condos. Hollywood has a place called Young Circle which is where all of the bars/clubs are in DT Hollywood. You can walk there too. No more than 10 blocks in either place depending on which building. Fort Lauderdale Beach you can find placed right near all of the bars.

This is true and very cool but I tend to like to go hit clubs or bars and that's a fortune in South beach, from what I hear we're talkin 40 just to get in the door and if I don't have hot girls with me I better start meeting some if I want to get in for even that cheap! Still it would be nice to have the luxery of it availuable here and there, and even just walking around there is probably cool.

You are right. South Beach is VERY expensive. And you need to be a high-roller to go there often. I generally avoid going out there. There are other places in South FL that are much cheaper and you can have more fun.

That's awesome but again I want to live somewhere that is very close to a good amount of nightlife so I dont get bored of it too easily. I want to have tons of options. By that logic if I were to pick to live in a place like West Palm then I would only really have daily conveniant access to West palms nightlife which is easily eclipsed by Orlando's night life.

You have many more options in South FL. If you live in Fort Lauderdale, you have many options. Las Olas, Ft. Laudedale Beach, South Beach, Brickell, DT Miami, Hardrock, West Palm, Hollywood, Delray, Boca, etc. Those are all hot areas to go out. In Orlando you are limited to just Orlando. West Palm nightlife is getting bigger and better. It is not bad. Nothing compared to Ft. Lauderdale, but Clematis St. is fun.

This state is very hard to make money in and requires working a lot. Without easy quick access to tons of nightlife that is conveniant I just would never get out. Right now I live a 15 minute drive from nightlife and often if there isn't a dd I don't go out because I don't wanna drop 35 bucks on a round trip cab fare.

Again, I know you don't want to believe me. But there are several areas I already mentioned where you can live and walk to nightlife.

That much is obvious. Many that are replying here don't seem to be aware of Orlando's real nightlife. It has nothing to do with the universal/disneyland stuff. It's a seperate entity.

You seem to have an agenda to make Orlando's nightlife sound so great and South FL's sucks. If that is your agenda, why bother asking for opinions of others?

So then how can you give me unbiased advice man??

Because I am going off of what I've heard from people living in Orlando. Just like you are going off what you've heard from co-workers that Orlando's economy stays strong much longer, which is false.

I'm trying to make the right decision here. I respect that you are very passionate about south florida and you have given me some things to think about when it comes to the area but your advice doesn't seem very spot on when it comes to Orlando. You also seem to assume that I have the money and time to just drive all around south florida. I dont. Any place that is not in the immediate area of where I live would end up being a luxery here and there and not something I could enjoy very often.I would either have to find someone with the same schedule who wants to go to the same place at the same time and is willing to drive or I would have to drive there. If I wanted to drink I would have to stay in a hotel there.

I see your point. There are a few places to live here that are cheaper than Las Olas where nightlife is walkable. Downtown Hollywood, Downtown Delray, and Boca Raton are a few. But in general, housing that is walkable to entertainment is more expensive to live in. That holds true anywhere in FL. So you will pay a higher price to have more convenience to nightlife.

Really? To me it seems much funner with better venues than Fort Lauderdale. Again it was very very cold when I went out in lauderdale but the venues didn't seem as cutting edge or cool as I was expecting since Lauderdale is often called a mini-Miami.

I was very impressed by the hardrock cafe but Orlando has citywalk which is comparable and that's not even part of what I consider the bulk of the Orlando nightlife.

I am not going to argue about Ft. Lauderdale nightlife vs. Orlando at this point since you seem convinced Orlando is better. All I will say is you have more options down here.

A valid point here to add to the whole beach thing.

Collectively yes it beats Orlando but how often will I be able to take advantage compared to Orlando? That's what I'm worried about.

I loved my night out in Delray and will be going again.

If I lived there and that was my only easy access nightlife then yes I would, again it has nothing on Orlando pound for pound -- although the girls were sizzling hot, flirty, and classy.

I don't think everything is better in orlando I just think orlando is probably easier for me to find a place to live where I can go out a lot and meet people. When your working 50 hours + a week and you get out at 1130 at night and you feel like having a couple beers to unwind and then hitting one of the many area clubs and bars within a 5 minute drive I think Orlando has to be the winner (short of Miami). MAYBE Fort lauderdale area is as good but I have my doubts based on my trip there. If I thought Orlando was a wash up against Lauderdale then the other area's like Miami and west palm would definately put things over the top for me, but then there would still be the offseason thing to worry about.

I think if you actually knew about the nightlife first hand in Orlando you would probably give it the nod over lauderdale, over hollywood, and over west palm. Miami is better but also much more expensive and I don't plan to live in Miami. Collectively the area seems very appealing to me but I question how much I am going to be able to make 30-45 minute trips this way and that way to experience it, especially if my restaurant jobs arn't paying the bills because of the offseason.
It is widely considered that Fort Lauderdale nightlife is one of the better places in the country. Not as good as Miami, but in terms of number of options Ft. Lauderdale has an abundance of places. I have heard nothing but negatives about Orlando's nightlife scene. I'm sure there are some good places. Not doubting that. But Orlando gets nowhere near the reputation for nightlife that Ft. Lauderdale gets.

As far as 30-45 minute trips, you can live near a good nightlife area. That way you go out there primarily. On occasion you can venture out to another location. Hardrock is about 15-20 minutes from Las Olas, not 30-45. Hollywood is about 20 minutes from Las Olas and Hardrock. 45 minutes would be from Las Olas to West Palm.

Old 03-28-2010, 02:40 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
It is widely considered that Fort Lauderdale nightlife is one of the better places in the country. Not as good as Miami, but in terms of number of options Ft. Lauderdale has an abundance of places.
I would be willing to bet money that no one comes to florida for fort lauderdale nightlife. The only nightlife buzz i have ever heard from people are for orlando and south beach.

Yes Lauderdale does have some spots and maybe I didn't see them all but I went to this place that Im pretty sure was las olas which is suppose to be their best area. I saw a series of small dive bars, there was some live music which was nice, and then there was one club which was nothing special. I've heard from several people that the problem with fort lauderdale is that it's nightlife isn't walkable. So if that is their best walkable area than orlando CRUSHES on that.

Also 20 min away is hardrock cafe which has the casino, a few clubs, and a few bars. I was impressed by this location but again citywalk is comparable.

Orlando has several clubs to pick from. Some are classy, some are average. They have a few very spacious major clubs. They have a ton of bars. Then they have the UCF area as well and all it's college shinanagance. On top of that city walk can be a fun time as well.

Could you please be more specific about what fort lauderdale has for entertainment districts, venues, and things of that nature? They may indeed have more "spots" than Orlando overall (but probably not as their population is only 2/3 orlando's) but most of Orlando's are in walkable area's.

It almost feels like this is just a "my action figure is cooler than yours" conversation your having with me right now. It would be cool to get more facts and details. I already know your dad can beat up my dad. What makes lauderdale night life so much better than Orlando's?? Im not understanding.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 03-28-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM

I never said orlando has better night life than miami, but the OP is not looking to live in Miami. Orlandos night life beats ft lauderdales and other cities outside of miami in s.fl, and Orlando's downtown (where all the night life is) is much more livable. Ft lauderdale is more of snow bird tourist destination, thats when the night life in ft lauderdale is the busiest. But in downtown orlando the night life is consistent year round with actual residents. Its not overwhelmed by tourists like ft lauderdale. The only clubs in Orlando that get overwhelmed with tourists are in city walk at universal.

Ft. Lauderdales downtown doesn't compare to orlandos downtown. There is more night life options within walking distance in orlando and there is much more to do outside of night life in downtown orlando

The only thing ft lauderdale has over orlando is the beach. if the beach is important than pick ft lauderdale, but if everything else is important pick orlando and drive an hour or more to the beaches depening on which ones.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:41 PM

What is the point of living in Florida if you have to drive over an hour to get to the beach. If you want true nightlife and to live the Florida lifestyle populerized on television than SE Florida is your only option.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
What is the point of living in Florida if you have to drive over an hour to get to the beach. If you want true nightlife and to live the Florida lifestyle populerized on television than SE Florida is your only option.

For what the OP is looking for, Orlando seems like the best choice.

Last edited by GLS2010; 03-28-2010 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area