Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
For what the OP is looking for, Orlando seems like the best choice.
Honestly Central Florida is not a better choice for anything. SE Florida is the best place to be if you are going to live in Florida. I know Orlandoans want to be like SE Florida but you guys just don't have what it takes, a Kiddie theme park city with no beach can never be hip in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 10:36 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Wrong post sorry.

Last edited by Shoegal1075; 03-29-2010 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-29-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Well I won't be living in Miami. I know for sure placs like west palm have a higher old person to young person ratio than Orlando. If your logic is to take the entire south florida population and say that there are more young people there than Orlando than your probably right but by that logic there are tons more old people than Orlando too.

You have to understand that I am going to have to pick a location in South Florida if I were to relocate there and there is no location I can think of that has more young people in one place than Orlando unless you factor in Miami.

From everyone that lives in Orlando and from employee's that work there.

Only cities can sustain some sort of reliable client base during the summer in Florida, and Orlando is also a top tourist destination. They stay busy in the summer because the kids are out of school as well.

So your saying I could pick a location where I could walk to most of the nightlife in Fort lauderdale and downtown hollywood?? How many miles do you think I can walk? lol. Are you sure about this?

This is true and very cool but I tend to like to go hit clubs or bars and that's a fortune in South beach, from what I hear we're talkin 40 just to get in the door and if I don't have hot girls with me I better start meeting some if I want to get in for even that cheap! Still it would be nice to have the luxery of it availuable here and there, and even just walking around there is probably cool.

That's awesome but again I want to live somewhere that is very close to a good amount of nightlife so I dont get bored of it too easily. I want to have tons of options. By that logic if I were to pick to live in a place like West Palm then I would only really have daily conveniant access to West palms nightlife which is easily eclipsed by Orlando's night life.

This state is very hard to make money in and requires working a lot. Without easy quick access to tons of nightlife that is conveniant I just would never get out. Right now I live a 15 minute drive from nightlife and often if there isn't a dd I don't go out because I don't wanna drop 35 bucks on a round trip cab fare.

That much is obvious. Many that are replying here don't seem to be aware of Orlando's real nightlife. It has nothing to do with the universal/disneyland stuff. It's a seperate entity.

So then how can you give me unbiased advice man??

I'm trying to make the right decision here. I respect that you are very passionate about south florida and you have given me some things to think about when it comes to the area but your advice doesn't seem very spot on when it comes to Orlando. You also seem to assume that I have the money and time to just drive all around south florida. I dont. Any place that is not in the immediate area of where I live would end up being a luxery here and there and not something I could enjoy very often.I would either have to find someone with the same schedule who wants to go to the same place at the same time and is willing to drive or I would have to drive there. If I wanted to drink I would have to stay in a hotel there.

Really? To me it seems much funner with better venues than Fort Lauderdale. Again it was very very cold when I went out in lauderdale but the venues didn't seem as cutting edge or cool as I was expecting since Lauderdale is often called a mini-Miami.

I was very impressed by the hardrock cafe but Orlando has citywalk which is comparable and that's not even part of what I consider the bulk of the Orlando nightlife.

A valid point here to add to the whole beach thing.

Collectively yes it beats Orlando but how often will I be able to take advantage compared to Orlando? That's what I'm worried about.

I loved my night out in Delray and will be going again.

If I lived there and that was my only easy access nightlife then yes I would, again it has nothing on Orlando pound for pound -- although the girls were sizzling hot, flirty, and classy.

I don't think everything is better in orlando I just think orlando is probably easier for me to find a place to live where I can go out a lot and meet people. When your working 50 hours + a week and you get out at 1130 at night and you feel like having a couple beers to unwind and then hitting one of the many area clubs and bars within a 5 minute drive I think Orlando has to be the winner (short of Miami). MAYBE Fort lauderdale area is as good but I have my doubts based on my trip there. If I thought Orlando was a wash up against Lauderdale then the other area's like Miami and west palm would definately put things over the top for me, but then there would still be the offseason thing to worry about.

I think if you actually knew about the nightlife first hand in Orlando you would probably give it the nod over lauderdale, over hollywood, and over west palm. Miami is better but also much more expensive and I don't plan to live in Miami. Collectively the area seems very appealing to me but I question how much I am going to be able to make 30-45 minute trips this way and that way to experience it, especially if my restaurant jobs arn't paying the bills because of the offseason.
If you are going to negate everything the poster is giving you as reasons to live in one place over the other why ask the question?

City Walk in Orlando is walkable - that is it. If you live in Ft. Lauderdale, you will have walkable areas such as Las Olas - that is it for the most part. Florida is not exactly known as an area to live without a car, so if that is your plan, Florida may not be the place to be period. - When I think of walkable areas Florida doesn't really come to mind.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Honestly Central Florida is not a better choice for anything. SE Florida is the best place to be if you are going to live in Florida. I know Orlandoans want to be like SE Florida but you guys just don't have what it takes, a Kiddie theme park city with no beach can never be hip in Florida.
We do not want to be anything like SE FL, so get that out of your head. We are our own city, and not all of our theme parks are kiddie. They are world class theme parks and people from all over the world and celebrities visit them.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:13 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,381,037 times
OP - seems like you made up your mind already. Nolefan gave you a very clear opinion but you seem to negate everything. Therefore Orlando should probably be your choice.

Coming from a complete outsider who lived in a different state up north, I would never ever live in Orlando. Someone would have to pay a lot of money for me to even consider it. It is so dull in comparison to South Florida. But to each his own. If this is what you prefer, this is what you prefer. End of story.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,691,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
If you are going to negate everything the poster is giving you as reasons to live in one place over the other why ask the question?

City Walk in Orlando is walkable - that is it. If you live in Ft. Lauderdale, you will have walkable areas such as Las Olas - that is it for the most part. Florida is not exactly known as an area to live without a car, so if that is your plan, Florida may not be the place to be period. - When I think of walkable areas Florida doesn't really come to mind.
please don't make assumptions of Orlando unless you know what you're talking about. The core areas of Orlando (downtown, winter park and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods) are walkable.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Coming from a complete outsider who lived in a different state up north, I would never ever live in Orlando. Someone would have to pay a lot of money for me to even consider it. It is so dull in comparison to South Florida. But to each his own. If this is what you prefer, this is what you prefer. End of story.
I totally agree. Anyone that is even putting Orlando in the same category as SE Florida needs to get out more. Orlando is nothing compared to SE Florida.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
please don't make assumptions of Orlando unless you know what you're talking about. The core areas of Orlando (downtown, winter park and the immediate surrounding neighborhoods) are walkable.
GL - I know exactly what I'm talking about and have many years on you to have gained that knowledge. Florida as a whole isn't the most walkable state. Are there places walkable sure, but none more so than Miami - will you argue that? Travel sweety and observe. GL your a good kid, but giving someone advice who has to work everday for a living is a big strange since you are still in highschool. Your opinions are valid but are obviously not the same as an adults. Doesn't matter much anyway - seems like OP is leaning toward Orlando - so all is right in the world.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Downtown Orlando has nothing, not even shopping and is tiny.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
GL - I know exactly what I'm talking about and have many years on you to have gained that knowledge. Florida as a whole isn't the most walkable state. Are there places walkable sure, but none more so than Miami - will you argue that? Travel sweety and observe. GL your a good kid, but giving someone advice who has to work everday for a living is a big strange since you are still in highschool. Your opinions are valid but are obviously not the same as an adults. Doesn't matter much anyway - seems like OP is leaning toward Orlando - so all is right in the world.
Exactly, a highschool kid may like Disney but not an adult that wants true nightlife and beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area