Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 12:19 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
I'm in a transitional period and looking to get back into school. I have a bachelor's degree in business right now but it's not specific enough to help. From my understanding Orlando area wins out for schools as well.

Really? I don't think of Orlando as a Mecca for schools at all - that I would leave for either South Florida or Northern Florida. But again all of this is up to you. No one else can tell you what is right or wrong in your world. If you have been to both places and like both but prefer Orlando then that is where you should go. Easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 12:23 PM

433 posts, read 1,012,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
When was the last time you were in Ft. Lauderdale? You should talk about the facts that you know - LOL. Neither is better or worse! Ft. Lauderdale offers something different than what Orlando offers - neither is better or worse - I don't love Orlando, but the OP might and it is up to him to make that decision and frankly if he is defending Orlando when people are asking him why he should not live there, it gives the impression that he has already made his decision!
Went to lauderdale in January.

I keep asking why and how so and no one responds with anything but stereotypes and generalizations. That says all that needs to be said.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:25 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Quote:
Really? I don't think of Orlando as a Mecca for schools at all - that I would leave for either South Florida or Northern Florida. But again all of this is up to you. No one else can tell you what is right or wrong in your world. If you have been to both places and like both but prefer Orlando then that is where you should go. Easy.
Exactly, the best schools in the state are University of Florida (Gainsville), Florida State University (Tallahassee), and University of Miami (Coral Gables).

Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Eagle^ View Post
Went to lauderdale in January.

I keep asking why and how so and no one responds with anything but stereotypes and generalizations. That says all that needs to be said.
This comes from the person that claims SE Florida is all snowbirds?

Old 03-29-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
This comes from the person that claims SE Florida is all snowbirds?
Never said that man.

Why are you guys so defensive? It's odd.

I was just hoping to get some real targeted advice here, I didn't get it.

It's all good.

Im out.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:30 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
When was the last time you were in Ft. Lauderdale? You should talk about the facts that you know - LOL. Neither is better or worse! Ft. Lauderdale offers something different than what Orlando offers - neither is better or worse - I don't love Orlando, but the OP might and it is up to him to make that decision and frankly if he is defending Orlando when people are asking him why he should not live there, it gives the impression that he has already made his decision!
I like both cities too, but based on his objectives, Orlando seems like the better options. Have you ever experienced downtown Orlando's night life? you keep mentioning citywalk. That is a small part of Orlando's night life, geared more toward the tourists. Downtown orlando is separate from the tourist corridor of Orlando, miles apart. Downtown Orlando offers great nightlife restaurants etc. and is much larger than ft lauderdale and much more walkable, inhabited by people who live there year round. Unlike ft lauderdale where of course people live there year round but not as much as orlando. Ft. Lauderdale only gets real busy during the winter months. Downtown Orlando is steady year round. Barely any tourist know about downtown Orlando. They are blinded by the theme parks and all there attractions, which actually do offer some pretty good night life, especially universal. City walk is great and Universal offers a lot of events for the locals as well, like mardi gras which lasts for weeks and halloween horror night which lasts for over a month. Residents can buy passes to both of those events and get in free to them while they last. Mardi Gras is going on right now and it has been great. So far I've been twice, i saw akon preform the first night i went, and i went again the other day and saw 3 doors down preform. Ellen was also at universal this weekend filming two of her shows (I think they will air this thursday and friday), Usher and rascal flats preformed were guests on the show and also preformed. City walk is free to get into so everyone got to see it, since that is where she recorded the shows.

Last edited by GLS2010; 03-29-2010 at 12:39 PM..

Old 03-29-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
I like both cities too, but based on his objectives, Orlando seems like the better options. Have you ever experienced downtown Orlando's night life?
Only someone that has not been to large cities would even consider Orlando's nightlife good. Have you experienced Orlando's nightlife? You have to be 21 in most places.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
City walk is great and Universal offers a lot of events for the locals as well, like mardi gras which lasts for weeks and halloween horror night which lasts for over a month.
Honestly those are things for teenagers.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
He's right man.

If you were COOL you would realize that it's much more adult to go to an upscale restaurant in south florida with all the art and fishtanks in your 300 dollar suite, spend 100 dollars on caviar and a vintage glass of wine and then after that you can head to the most elite night club on southbeach and spend another 100 dollars. Actually it will end up being more like 300-400 because your girlfriend is only with you because your her sugar-daddy and you had to pay 40 bucks just to park.

400 bucks in one night is nothing although your car payment is 400 dollars a month and your rent is 800 because you don't want to live with drug dealers or gang members as your neighbors. Money aint a thiang though. A REAL adult needs to drive a REAL car and so you have to have an elite bmw style car, it's worth the 400 a month and you use your credit card to make the payments anyways.

This thread helped me a lot to remember a big reason why it is people told me not to move to south florida. My boss once told me that everyone likes to pretend their rich and act all snobby, while meanwhile they 10,000 in debt and have a hard time buying groceries -- but they got the expensive watches and gold chains regardless. lol.

I'm all set with playing the whole hollywood game.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:48 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
Quote:
Only someone that has not been to large cities would even consider Orlando's nightlife good. Have you experienced Orlando's nightlife? You have to be 21 in most places.
I've been to many large cities including NYC. I'm not saying Orlando's night life is better than NYC's because it isn't, But for what the OP is looking for, a lot of bars and clubs that are walkable so you can club hop, its obvious that downtown orlando is better for that compared to ft Lauderdale.

Quote:
No they aren't. You know its not impossible for teenagers and adults to enjoy the same things. Both of those events are always packed with adults, if you like the artist who are going to be preforming at mardi gras you are going to go see them regardless of your age, http://www.universalorlando.com/Events/Mardi_Gras/overview.aspx (broken link)

And HHN, everyone goes there, Teenagers and up. Just because Orlando offers a lot of entertainment that can be enjoyed by people under the age of 21 doesn't mean people above 21 cant enjoy it either.

Last edited by GLS2010; 03-29-2010 at 01:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area