Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 04:46 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,146,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
I agree. That suggestion reminded me of a fellow that I encountered when I went to Florida, for a week, way back in 1979. He was a legal immigrant from one of the South American countries, and somehow or other, I got talking with him.

He said that his goal was to see the entire 50 states, and he worked out a deal with one of the Holiday Inns in Ft. Lauderdale, (the one I was staying in) where he worked for the hotel, in exchange for one of the least desirable rooms in the hotel and a few bucks a week. He also said that the hotel manager agreed to help set him up with another Holiday Inn, in another state, when he felt it was time to move on, and see another state, and was hoping to be able to continue on that path.

I wonder if he ever fulfilled his dream.....

And, maybe the OPs could consider doing something like this.

Not so strange. A lot of motel owners find this cheaper than hiring someone to do all that.

I helped run a hotel where our handyman considered his time spent on the premises his "vacation" from his grandkids and wife....lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 02:16 PM

188 posts, read 153,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Florida is not a good place to start your life and/or career as a newly minted young adult
They are both 31 years old.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:23 AM

835 posts, read 474,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmmcubed View Post
They are both 31 years old.
What difference does that make? If anything, being older makes this all the more ridiculous and proves my as well as Ghaati’s points correct to a further degree.

Nobody responded to Ghaati and I’s points, otherwise, so I’m going to assume you all agree with them.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Not so strange. A lot of motel owners find this cheaper than hiring someone to do all that.

I helped run a hotel where our handyman considered his time spent on the premises his "vacation" from his grandkids and wife....lol
Yeah but “hire” implies that they have an actual job, while these “folks” in the OP want to work under the table.

Old 02-08-2024, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So these 20-somethings have 40-something parents, for the most part. Those 40-somethings have had almost two decades to nurture the minds of their children and prepare them for adulthood. I don't blame the kids for lacking critical thinking skills. I blame the parents for not teaching those skills to their kids, and for not demanding that schools continue that education in the classroom.

Instead, we have "you can't talk about your two mommies in class, because the law says you can't" and "the black slaves got a good deal being slaves because they learned skills and were happy slaves" and "diversity, equality, and inclusion are bad words we don't use them here" and "the books that talk about how Johnny doesn't have to pee standing up are bad books you're not allowed to read them we've taken them away."

And parents voted for it. And celebrate it. And teach their children to fear anything that's different. Because that's so much more important than teaching them critical thinking skills that help them maneuver around in the world as adults.
I agree with your post wholeheartedly, but, if the OP (and the nitpicking of our two posts) are to be believed, these people are 31 years old, and are thus responsible for their own choices, as unfortunate as their upbringing may have been. If anything, the parents should have served as a role model in how not to live life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area