Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 03:33 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Or were the victims of theft, had a major illness/accident, lost a job(s) via layoff or combination of circumstances they had no control over.

It's easy to sit on the sidelines all holier than thou (especially on the internet) but do try to exercise some humane compassion.
Go to shelter. Get a job: fast food, housekeeping, construction.

They technically could make those alleged $5K stolen in a month between the 2 of them.
They could live in a car a month or 2 - unpleasant but doable.

People must be careful nowadays:a lot of grifters, potential squatters and fraudsters looking for an easier life.
And they don’t need much.
There is a lot of bragging about it on internet - so a lot of attempts to get on that gravy train.

The sob story stinks of bad intentions and a search for gullible people of deficient mental ability due to the age, diseases, etc

If you think we are wrong in our judgment - are you prepared to let someone couch surf in your place with the story like that?
You know, “to help” a fellow human beings?

The road to hell paved with good intentions

Last edited by L00k4ward; 01-20-2024 at 03:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 05:28 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Or were the victims of theft, had a major illness/accident, lost a job(s) via layoff or combination of circumstances they had no control over.

It's easy to sit on the sidelines all holier than thou (especially on the internet) but do try to exercise some humane compassion.
Victims of theft don't keep $5000 cash in their cars, if they have any sense of responsibility.

They could've bought pre-paid cards and kept them on their persons. They could've opened a bank account at a national bank with ATMs all over the place. They could've gotten travel cheques. They made the irresponsible decision to keep $5000 cash in their car. Or - it's a fake post.

Old 01-20-2024, 06:04 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
Quote:
SMDH

You know what the famous saying is about assumptions, right?

While everything may be perfect in your neat little lives remember most Americans are $400 away from the inability to handle unforeseen circumstances.
I don't know anyone like that.

Old 01-20-2024, 08:32 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,395,814 times
The OP and her BF can call 211 or go to https://www.211-broward.org:

"EVERY HOUR OF EVERY DAY, SOMEONE IN BROWARD [County] IS SEARCHING FOR HELP OR SERVICES –
housing, food, financial assistance, relief from abuse, family issues, depression, childcare, suicide prevention, etc."

Old 01-21-2024, 05:50 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi0sarz View Post
My boyfriend and I just came down to Fort Lauderdale to start our lives. Unfortunately, our car was broken into and $5000 we had to rent a place here was stolen. We are both 31 years old, very friendly outgoing people, hard workers. We're just trying to catch a break until we can get on our feet. I've been looking all over online for "work for room and board services" but all of the websites require subscriptions that are $60+

My boyfriend is basically a do-it-all handyman and I can cook, clean, take care of pets, children, I can do your grocery shopping, anything you need. We would just need a bit of time until we can get stable employment and save up. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, if not please let me know. Also if anyone knows of any websites that give the service I'm looking for and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, please please let me know. We have a car and could come to you. Thank you for your time.
The entire country is plastered with Help Wanted signs.

How is it that a couple of hard workers cannot get two of these jobs?

Old 01-21-2024, 06:47 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,818,131 times
What are the odds that the OP never returns?

Old 01-21-2024, 08:22 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What's this about "cheap motels", though? There no longer is any such thing. Even Motel 6 is no longer cheap, plus it (along with its peers) jacks up its prices during high tourist season, on weekends, for holidays, you name it. OP might be able to get a lower rate by calling their national line and asking for long-term rental rates, I'm just guessing. It's free to become a "member" to access slightly lower rates, and the national office can offer deals, but it's still not a solution. I guess if they're splitting the room rate between them, it might be doable...??
TripAdvisor shows a Red Carpet Inn for $53 a night in Fort Lauderdale.

Go crazy with the taxes and suddenly its $75 a night all in, day labor would pay easily $100 a day and you might have a couple bucks leftover for a Little Caesars Pizza/ loaf of bread and peanut butter and jelly. if they both work that day, then they are all set.

I'd bet the hotel would work a deal if she was cleaning the rooms/ discounting their room.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:25 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Who leaves $5000 in their vehicle?

No family to help either one of you? I don't know of any scenario where you'd be able to work for room and board, unless you post on a local forum where you are and explain your situation. Some kind soul may offer you a solution or at least a place to stay.

If this post is real, I'd agree with the one suggestion about going to a shelter.

Also, what about filing a police report? sometimes, as the victim of a crime, you can apply for a disbursement of some type. Long shot, but worth a try. and it would probably take time.

Find whatever job you can to quickly save up your lost funds as quickly as you can and learn a lesson from this experience.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:26 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
I don't know anyone like that.
I've got an estranged sister that has been broke for decades. She lost another job a few months ago, unemployment ran out and she is being evicted this week. But she has the latest Iphone, takes trips/runs up her credit cards and is a complete financial mess.

Old 01-21-2024, 08:26 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Was the car stolen as well as the $5K?

If not, they already have a place to sleep. Now a Planet Fitness membership for showers and jobs.

Forward ever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area