Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2024, 03:34 PM

21,912 posts, read 9,486,318 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone leave the ONLY money they have in a car? What's wrong with a bank? Sorry. This doesn't pass the smell test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2024, 04:09 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi0sarz View Post
My boyfriend and I just came down to Fort Lauderdale to start our lives. Unfortunately, our car was broken into and $5000 we had to rent a place here was stolen. We are both 31 years old, very friendly outgoing people, hard workers. We're just trying to catch a break until we can get on our feet. I've been looking all over online for "work for room and board services" but all of the websites require subscriptions that are $60+

My boyfriend is basically a do-it-all handyman and I can cook, clean, take care of pets, children, I can do your grocery shopping, anything you need. We would just need a bit of time until we can get stable employment and save up. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post, if not please let me know. Also if anyone knows of any websites that give the service I'm looking for and doesn't cost an arm and a leg, please please let me know. We have a car and could come to you. Thank you for your time.
$5000 in cash was in your car? Were you planning on paying rent in cash? Do you expect landlords to rent with no proof of employment? I've lived in three states and EVERY SINGLE landlord has asked for that. You're 31 and you don't understand this? I'm sorry but none of this adds up.

Old 01-21-2024, 05:07 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
I know several people who hire house sitters. They hire through personal recommendations and agencies that provide such services.

None get house sitters off of websites that charge $60 to post your contact info.

If caretaking a property is your goal, I would suggest contacting the religious retreat center in the area to see if they are in need of handyman services, housekeepers, kitchen staff, or ??

Old 01-21-2024, 07:14 PM

179 posts, read 138,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I know several people who hire house sitters. They hire through personal recommendations and agencies that provide such services.

None get house sitters off of websites that charge $60 to post your contact info.

If caretaking a property is your goal, I would suggest contacting the religious retreat center in the area to see if they are in need of handyman services, housekeepers, kitchen staff, or ??
Idk but tons of stores are hiring, whole foods, publix, target. Why not go to work for them and get a real pay stub, pay taxes and show BOTH your real paystubs to a landlord / property manager. ?

Old 01-21-2024, 08:16 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskies2023 View Post
Idk but tons of stores are hiring, whole foods, publix, target. Why not go to work for them and get a real pay stub, pay taxes and show BOTH your real paystubs to a landlord / property manager. ?
You have to have an address in order to get a legal job in Florida. "The car parked on the A1A across the street from the Clarion Hotel" isn't a valid address.

Doesn't matter though, the thread was started by a fake account, posting a fake situation.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:08 AM

179 posts, read 138,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
You have to have an address in order to get a legal job in Florida. "The car parked on the A1A across the street from the Clarion Hotel" isn't a valid address.

Doesn't matter though, the thread was started by a fake account, posting a fake situation.
One could rent an airbnb for address. Could also get a PO box for address.

Old 01-22-2024, 04:50 AM

788 posts, read 783,933 times
5000 grand should be in a major bank and use a debit or checks card as required . Not in a vehicle .

Old 01-22-2024, 05:25 AM

9,440 posts, read 5,201,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threestep2 View Post
please see post 1.
Would you invite total strangers with this story into your home?
nope!!!!

Old 01-22-2024, 05:40 AM

6,414 posts, read 3,131,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
.......I'd bet the hotel would work a deal if she was cleaning the rooms/ discounting their room.
I agree. That suggestion reminded me of a fellow that I encountered when I went to Florida, for a week, way back in 1979. He was a legal immigrant from one of the South American countries, and somehow or other, I got talking with him.

He said that his goal was to see the entire 50 states, and he worked out a deal with one of the Holiday Inns in Ft. Lauderdale, (the one I was staying in) where he worked for the hotel, in exchange for one of the least desirable rooms in the hotel and a few bucks a week. He also said that the hotel manager agreed to help set him up with another Holiday Inn, in another state, when he felt it was time to move on, and see another state, and was hoping to be able to continue on that path.

I wonder if he ever fulfilled his dream.....

And, maybe the OPs could consider doing something like this.

Old 01-22-2024, 09:29 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,396,448 times
The OP is not looking for advice. It was a fake post, or possibly a scam to find kind-hearted but gullible people to let them into their home in exchange for work. Just like the guys you see at the corner at Walmart sometimes with a sign that says "will work for food."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area