Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 05:49 AM

641 posts, read 1,020,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
I hate to break it to you, but there are Jerks every where.
why do people always use this excuse as a cop out for Florida's idiot behavior "oh theres people like that everywhere"...point may be true but not the prevelance of the type of stuff you see in this state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZonaZoo View Post
People in South Florida are not only rude to newcomers--they're rude to everyone.
There you go again being a stick in the mud. Judging from your threads you are probably you are twenty something.
Good matters and Southern Hospitality is a state of mind. If you raised on those merits it should come naturally with out looking for praise. Florida is a melting pot and we get a lot trans plan tor the promised land.
We get all garden Varity types of up tight North Eastern an Big city Mid Westerns here that they still think be tough is the way. Over time these same people de-program and are very nice . We can even get the most hard core New Jersey type to say "You All"

There is no excuse for anyone to be rude. You should not have such a dim view of People in Florida with out doing your far share.

PS: The Florida turn Pike is not fare from you and you can always finish school in Tucson. Its your choice to be happy else where.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
why do people always use this excuse as a cop out for Florida's idiot behavior "oh theres people like that everywhere"...point may be true but not the prevelance of the type of stuff you see in this state.
It is true and no matter if you live in Florida or Arizona or even in California. Good matters and being a Good Neighbor should come naturally. Ideal with the general public here in Wonderful Phoenix Arizona and I got to tell you that over time most folks react positively to being nice and have Southern Hosp.

PHX is not home for me ,bu tI do the best I can to be better. It works.

I got the Invert Computer women to say good morning and smile now. The Prep Couple from (WI) to acknowledged my wife and I with a polite squint and Nod.

Its work where ever you are from and living. So step and be the good person youcan and embrace those rude people. Who knows you may not even speaking to people who are from Florida and they just may come from Your home town????

Old 08-03-2013, 09:37 AM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
There you go again being a stick in the mud. Judging from your threads you are probably you are twenty something.
Good matters and Southern Hospitality is a state of mind. If you raised on those merits it should come naturally with out looking for praise. Florida is a melting pot and we get a lot trans plan tor the promised land.
We get all garden Varity types of up tight North Eastern an Big city Mid Westerns here that they still think be tough is the way. Over time these same people de-program and are very nice . We can even get the most hard core New Jersey type to say "You All"

There is no excuse for anyone to be rude. You should not have such a dim view of People in Florida with out doing your far share.

PS: The Florida turn Pike is not fare from you and you can always finish school in Tucson. Its your choice to be happy else where.
South Florida is not the South.

Let me reiterate that people in Arizona, including the Phoenix metropolitan area, are overwhelmingly more friendly, polite, and helpful than people all over Florida. It's not even a contest, really.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Quote:

Let me reiterate that people in Arizona, including the Phoenix metropolitan area, are overwhelmingly more friendly, polite, and helpful than people all over Florida. It's not even a contest, really.
When we were in PHX and Scottsdale we did not find the people to be so nice compared to South Florida sorry..and rudeness is all over the place...

Old 08-03-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:

Then its time you move to Phx.

I have been all over this Green Earth and I have its what you make of it. Phx is different, if you are from Florida and visa versa. I found that Scottsdale can be a little up tight , but its no worse than Ft. Lauderdale.
Money does to people.

What took time get use to is the 12 foot privative walls in Housing Dev. Folks are more tight nit here and it does take some time to break through that Barrier. Like Florida Phoenix is a melting Pot of the west. Believe me Arizona has their fair share of rude people as well too. Rudeness is a world wide affliction.

If one goes to actually talk to Real Arizonians most them are Polite, friendly (different way) and are some what keeping Arizona a slower pace. You got to appreciate the Cowboy way out here. Verses trans- plants who wish to build a structure every square foot. Arizona as well was impacted negatively by the housing bubble. Californian investors drop and ran back to California as quick as there BMW would drive.

Florida is different because are the Number Destination place over Los Vegas. We have millions of people around the world who visit Florida.

If anyone has lost credibility on this thread it is those who can not have a objective view point. Good or Bad! Dealing with people is a art form, it something that comes with life experience.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Really?? Sorry but its true and my Hubby traveled alot to PHX and he would say how people weren't the Friendliest there and how it surprised him...and then I made the trip with him a few times and I hhave to say they weren't very friendly...You do realize there are not so friendly people everywhere right? Scottsdale they definitely weren't friendly sorry...

Im still waiting for you to tell me why FAU is so horrible considering it has an excellent Exercise Science Program and we have friends kids that graduated from there and went onto their masters program and were employed pretty quickly as a PT...
Well said!

it is a challenge here in Phx and Scottsdale can be Pill. Its amazing to say the least.
The Hotelier's in Scottsdale believe it will came and they don't have to be nice. I think some days they are want to snobs just like their perceived rich clients. Mrs. G is constantly enforcing Hotel 101, "the guest comes first"! (thanks to that WDW Training) Make the guest feel they are being served warmly. (Southern Hospitality)

Put it this way they don't even have a objective view of their business. The Phx, Tempe and Scottsdale Visitor Convention Tourism Bureau , don't even work together in attracting new visitors. Currently(its down season too) have yet earned new business to fill current hotel inventory in the area. Currently there is too much inventory in the market, but not enough rooms to attract large conventions and visitors either.

Phx is pretty well suck in there own misery.

Being married in the business sort of speak, I never seen so many "Professionals" look the other way because they cannot stand on firm ground with owners and management companies don't want to ask deep questions why their business is down. Its better to deflect and blame so management will not be in immediate hot water. Very clickish mentality.

Florida is a well lubed machine and every hotel and resort is competing fiercely for that same dollar. On the other hand Miami will refer Orlando which will refer Jax which will send the business to Ft. Walton Bch. You get the drift I hope. Again there is a Excellent reason why Florida is the place to live, play, raise kids and visit.

PS: Go Gators! Go Seminoles! Go Canes! Go Knights!

Old 08-04-2013, 01:35 PM

74 posts, read 129,148 times
I essentially grew up in South Florida and also thought this was a South Florida problem.However,I recently had to move to Northwest Louisiana for a job,and I can tell you the people are meaner and ruder here than there.Apparently,if you are not from here,you are treated like garbage.If you are Jewish as I am,forget it.I think Swimmom is correct,people are now this way everywhere.Even Southerners, who are supposed to be so warm and caring ,only care about people from their own little cliche and there own little religion.In Florida,it is probably best to stop stop focusing on the negative and just focus on getting involved in as many activities as you can with an open mind. You will make friends.Maybe not tons but several.Not everyone down there is golddigging and self centered.Believe me there are worse people elsewhere.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
I essentially grew up in South Florida and also thought this was a South Florida problem.However,I recently had to move to Northwest Louisiana for a job,and I can tell you the people are meaner and ruder here than there.Apparently,if you are not from here,you are treated like garbage.If you are Jewish as I am,forget it.I think Swimmom is correct,people are now this way everywhere.Even Southerners, who are supposed to be so warm and caring ,only care about people from their own little cliche and there own little religion.In Florida,it is probably best to stop stop focusing on the negative and just focus on getting involved in as many activities as you can with an open mind. You will make friends.Maybe not tons but several.Not everyone down there is golddigging and self centered.Believe me there are worse people elsewhere.

That could be said for most "groups of clicks".
The difference is the people. If you extend courtesy it will take hold. Some of my best times was with the Latinos in South Florida. Joyous, fun and when the chips are down you have a true friend.

I was on a 3 day security mission with the Florida Army Guard on the aftermath of Hurricane Andrew. We were extremely short handed and there was not power in Kendall. We were setting food and Ice lines while getting aid stations established for emergency care.

Guess who was cooking rice & beans? It was the Latino community stepping up. I grow tired of these endless conversations that your feelings have hurt. Who stepped up and raised money for folks.
This is the people Florida who pull together when called to.

Deal with it!

Old 08-04-2013, 02:27 PM

591 posts, read 820,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loras1 View Post
In my experience, Jewish people from South Florida tend to be among the rudest, pushiest demographic of people in the U.S.

I lived in Boca for two years. Of course, YMMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area