Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:18 PM

798 posts, read 1,459,652 times

Advertisements

Well, here are my two cents. We are living in a sick world and F.L is not the exception. In general, from my own experience and others most Miamian, Fort L. ppl are basically suffering from covert depression expressed in the way of "covert hostility". The reasons why are pretty related with satisfaction with life in terms of income, social advancement, emotional stability etc. As long as I am acquainted just a few lucky sector of ppl you could say they are really happy, because their expectations are fulfilled. When people expectations are not fulfilled you can expect all type of reactions specially if you act like the "happy friendly woman" in front of them. I think you are not doing anything wrong. The situation is that people here are so accustomed to this disdain type of life, that if they perceive someone breaking the rule is like a menace to disrupt that aura of shadiness: "How you dare to be more happy than me". You know, unhappy ppl are jealous about other's happiness.
So I wouldn't worry for a bunch of sh...t eaters.

My former city from other country was full of these people so I know perfectly what you are talking about. I spent 16 years of my life in that hole with obscure ppl. I had to modify my temperament sometimes to adapt at certain level. So I can see bad attitude is like a virus. We as humans copy cat these because our mirror cells in our brain. It's human nature. So take into account that Miami and For L. are full of people impacted from destroyed countries like Cuba for example. I am not sure if that influence is still in Fort L. They dragged all that influence at some point. It's in the air even if you don't see it you still feel it.

On the other hand, it sounds like you also are slightly "too open" and lack of observation when it comes to analyze ppl. I am not sure how open are the ppl you came from but it seems like you should be more picky when it comes to making friends. That was a very personal opinion but if you are that open with everybody maybe you will be perceived as you are superficial. My advisement would be that just find the people that are just at your same level of happiness and politeness. A hard task but not impossible. Just my thoughts.

Last edited by angelscorpio; 06-17-2016 at 07:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 01:03 PM

683 posts, read 852,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImovedtoYOURFlorida View Post
Not in my experience. I've moved all over the country and have never had a problem making friends till now. For me, when cops and medical professionals outright state they don't want to help me because I'm new...

That's not normal.

I'm in Broward.
Maybe you come off as annoying and overbearing? Sounds like you are desperate to meet friends. South FL is made up of out towners I would say over the last decade. People are from everywhere, which turned it into a very pretentious place. I think Broward is definitely more friendlier than Miami. So I don't know what is happening in your circle.

Old 06-18-2016, 01:08 PM

683 posts, read 852,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheree202 View Post
We're preparing to relocate to the area because of a job transfer. I've noticed rude comments on these message boards about "more Northerners moving to Florida". It is childish. People relocate all over the country. It's quite funny that certain Florida natives are bothered that people would like to move to their area. I agree with others that you'll meet great friends with time. Best of luck!
I think that is geared more towards Northerners from NY. It's no secret that most New Yorkers are rude and disrespectful when moving to other states. Everything is NY this and that, and it's better up there. Yet they live Fort Lauderdale. A good portion of them are very ignorant. So there is a lot of negativity thrown towards them.

Old 09-11-2023, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 304 times
Default You keep your out of state expired tags on your car

It’s real simple why we don’t like you. I have several people in my expensive apartment community that don’t feel a need to transfer their tag to Florida and have lived here more than a year. They think not only do we have no state tax but it’s okay to drive without a state tag and it’s even expired. You also complain about everything not being like it is up north. And I can go on about the number of reckless drivers with New York and New Jersey plates.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:25 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deboinair View Post
I think that is geared more towards Northerners from NY. It's no secret that most New Yorkers are rude and disrespectful when moving to other states. Everything is NY this and that, and it's better up there. Yet they live Fort Lauderdale. A good portion of them are very ignorant. So there is a lot of negativity thrown towards them.
I've never met nicer people than those living in New York. It's the riffraff that leave and settle elsewhere.

Old 09-12-2023, 07:30 AM

180 posts, read 132,107 times
No, it's not everywhere, it's just Florida. At least that's been my experience living here for the last 23 years. If you're from Florida and you don't see it, well, you're just part of the problem. I have never met more standoffish, self centered, rude, inconsiderate and disrespectful people in my entire life, AND I'M FROM CALIFORNIA!! People say "oh, it's because of all the New York transplants". No. New Yorker's are worlds more friendly. I thought we had met a nice neighbor once until I saw him back out of the driveway of his million dollar house, roll down the window of his Mercedes S class and launch a banana peel right onto the street in front of his own house! I have never witnessed such disrespect in my life.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Actually the reason for the increase in car insurance all the time is because the lack of people insured and the amount of Accident Fraud Claims that they Receive and something to do with "no fault" as I had been told everytime my policy went up every 6 months...Although the cost of living is extremely high in Cali, the fact that S Florida has one of the highest car insurance rates is just insane when coupled with the Rising cost of Living vs the Salaries...We live in Charlotte and for 3 newer cars and my 18 yr old it costs me 1100 for 6 months, South Florida it was costing me Double of what I pay here...But the cost of living everywhere is going up, so not too many places that are affordable anymore!!
We live in Broward. Our insurance is insane. 2 cars. No tickets, no accidents, 2 ordinary cars, 60 years old, 810 Fico. We pay $7,000/year.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1940 View Post
Some of you are living in a dream world because Fort Lauderdale and So. Florida in general is NO paradise. This area was voted many times over the rudest area in US. My wife and I live here going on 3 years and the wife is done with this place. Your happiness depends on where you came from. To most 3rd world immigrants Miami is a fantasy! But to born Americans the area is almost a step back in time. There is so much diversity people dont like each other. Just look at the trash in most parking lots like the Home Depot on Sunrise. The manager has a full time guy who picks up trash all day! When I complained why the parking lot was always littered with trash he responded "all day long and it's the type of people here". There is no sense of community here. North Palm Beach County, Jupiter and Hobe Sound offer a much higher quality of life. My wife and I were just up on PGA Blvd at The Gardens mall, and what a completely different vibe up there. Clean, nice people and a real sense of community.
Agreed. I love Florida, I hate the people. Florida is such a beautiful place. Too bad it's ruined by some nasty people. My Wife and I both agree that the quality and character of the people around you can make or break your happiness in a geographic location. People say it's everywhere. Well, of course it is, but nowhere is it as bad as Florida. We visited Gilbert, Az twice, and overall, the locals there are amazing, wonderful people.

Old 09-15-2023, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo.evo View Post
People will have their opinions. At the end of the day, different cities will have different cultures. It is not hard to make friends, it is not hard to meet people. South Florida is not rude in general either. There are nice people everywhere and people willing and wanting to help others.

The issue is simply many people who move here from out of town/state just simply do not know how to adapt with the culture and instead ride their high horse believing something is wrong with everyone else instead of realizing they are the outsider.

I notice this with generally people from conservative areas or like tourists/transplants from the Midwest. It seems they generally sink or swim when they come to a place like South Florida.
The rules just don't apply to Floridians. What rules? You know, the basic ones. Say please and thank you. Return your shopping cart the the cart parking. Turn off your high beams at night in traffic. Use your turn signal. Take your hat off in a restaurant. Hold the door open for the folks behind you.

This is just common sense, proper etiquette behavior.
I always hold the door open for other people and I get a "thank you" maybe half the time. Geez, how were these people raised?

Old 09-15-2023, 06:40 AM

17,280 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnsun1222 View Post
It’s real simple why we don’t like you. I have several people in my expensive apartment community that don’t feel a need to transfer their tag to Florida and have lived here more than a year. They think not only do we have no state tax but it’s okay to drive without a state tag and it’s even expired. You also complain about everything not being like it is up north. And I can go on about the number of reckless drivers with New York and New Jersey plates.
You resurrected a 10 yr old thread! You should change your screen name to NoFunnSun!

Not sure what part of Florida you are enjoying but I'm usually thrilled to see if a car even has a license plate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area