Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:51 PM

124 posts, read 698,673 times

Advertisements

^^^the area of miami gardens im talking about is close to Norland, anywhere around Norland is a ****hole.. i go there all the time and its the same thing... how does ur campus have shootings DURING school and it never makes the news? its obviously a regular thing at Norland and thats very sad... as i black man I ahte seeing negative images brought upon us by our communities. there are plently black cities that are actually safe and low in crime... miami gardens isnt one of them, and its the biggest black city in florida, the only black city with 100,000+ ppl and its highlighted by drivebys and robbery

i feel even sadder for the good people who live there (there are plenty) that cant afford to go somewhere nicer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:56 PM

and rolling oaks is a much more livable environment than the jamority of the city however it is not crime free and unfortunatly for the residence the violence and ignorance by the rest of miami gardeners often spill into the streets of andover and its that fair to the people who live in the better communities that they have to barracade themselves from the rest of the city. miami gardens needs a real makeover

Old 09-03-2007, 04:30 PM

563 posts, read 2,774,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauderdale81ave View Post
^^^the area of miami gardens im talking about is close to Norland, anywhere around Norland is a ****hole.. i go there all the time and its the same thing... how does ur campus have shootings DURING school and it never makes the news? its obviously a regular thing at Norland and thats very sad... as i black man I ahte seeing negative images brought upon us by our communities. there are plently black cities that are actually safe and low in crime... miami gardens isnt one of them, and its the biggest black city in florida, the only black city with 100,000+ ppl and its highlighted by drivebys and robbery

i feel even sadder for the good people who live there (there are plenty) that cant afford to go somewhere nicer

ITA about Norland. My good friend's mom used to teach there, well she did until some thugs pushed her down the stairs b/c she took their dice.

She basically told the principal--"F this school." She turned down district level positions because she was trying to help revitalize the school--after that she gave up. She now is working downtown @ the district level...she wants no parts of Norland and she lives in Miami Gardens.

This is nothing new @ Norland. My cousin graduated from Norland in '92. There were drive-bys @ Norland THEN. It's just getting worse b/c a lot of the problem children from the city are slowly creeping northward.

It hurts me as well b/c I grew up in what is now Miami Gardens. Trust and believe that the only way I'd live there is if I lived in those 2 areas I described, but since the public schools are so horrible, that isn't even an option. To be honest, it's part of the reason why I moved to the metro Atlanta area...and there are so many people here from the Carol City/Norland area. My neighbor across the street--she's from the Carol City area and she moved her son during his junior year up here. Her son told me himself that he has more opportunities up here vs. in Miami Gardens. That's sad.

Like I said earlier, I just don't want people thinking that the entire area is a piece of crap. It isn't. Unfortunately they are overshadowed by the areas where no one should live. I also have to give the city credit--they've cleaned it up a LOT over the years. It used to be much worse.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:54 PM

5 posts, read 21,851 times
OK, this is freaking me out. I am about 2 seconds from applying to a job in Miami Gardens, and after reading this I am really, really, really hesitant about even wasting my time. Being a single mother, I am very cautious about the welfare of my child and myself. This place sounded really nice, but now I am seriously having doubts! Anyone with more info please respond!!

Old 09-21-2007, 02:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLDIS View Post
OK, this is freaking me out. I am about 2 seconds from applying to a job in Miami Gardens, and after reading this I am really, really, really hesitant about even wasting my time. Being a single mother, I am very cautious about the welfare of my child and myself. This place sounded really nice, but now I am seriously having doubts! Anyone with more info please respond!!
How did this place sound "nice to you"? Because it had the word 'Gardens' in the name?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:59 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,930 times
My husband grew up in Carol City, and my MIL still lives there. But even if you gave me a house for free, I would not live in Miami Gardens. The area is not great. From the south it is an extremely depressed area (79th st, 95th st, 103rd st.) And I grew up just over the railroad tracks over in Hialeah. Even where my MIL lives, just east of Red Road and Miami Gardens drive, you have a hodge-podge of middle class houses, some with junked cars in the front yard. Swales with sand & weeds. It is not a nice area.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
How did this place sound "nice to you"? Because it had the word 'Gardens' in the name?
No, the word "Garden" had nothing to do with it. The fact that they were employing in the area that I am qualified to work is what attracted me to it. I did limited research on it and it looked very "suburban". From what I've read, that is not the case.

So, PBCBoy, please enlighten me. I will not apply if the area is drug- and crime-ridden. But please be objective in your response. Surely there are good areas of town? I cannot imagine people agreeing to incorporate a "town" that is nothing but drugs, death, and hate.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:01 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,251,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLDIS View Post
No, the word "Garden" had nothing to do with it. The fact that they were employing in the area that I am qualified to work is what attracted me to it. I did limited research on it and it looked very "suburban". From what I've read, that is not the case.

So, PBCBoy, please enlighten me. I will not apply if the area is drug- and crime-ridden. But please be objective in your response. Surely there are good areas of town? I cannot imagine people agreeing to incorporate a "town" that is nothing but drugs, death, and hate.
Most of Miami Gardens can be considered a slum. Of course there are a few decent new areas of it, but I'm sure even those have crime. I hear the good section is called 'County Club' or something like that, but I've never seen it.

I would not recommend moving there.

Old 09-23-2007, 02:17 PM

i go to miami gardens every week to see my neice... its dirty, dangerous for kidsmost definetly.. DO NOT GO THERE... especially at night... u will be afraid its the largest predominantly black city in florida and being a black man im humiliated by the high crime of the area (i used to live there before it was called miami gardens)

they look the poorest cities in south broward and north miami and called it miami gardens basically... its FILLED with drugs

Old 09-23-2007, 03:08 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,832 times
the entire south florida is filled with drugs, deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area