Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times

Advertisements

Amber- Thank you for the recipe. I will make that and some tomato sauce tomorrow. I have about 15 tomatoes that I have to use tomorrow. And of course a zucchini.
I wanted to make clamballs this week but I forgot to pick up lemons. Oh well I will have to wait for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 08:15 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,864,882 times
Bacon was tasty in my two BLT's I had earlier!!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Good thing tomorrow is grocery shopping day. I'm down to just one pound of bacon on hand and no chocolate and no ice cream. I need to get some exercise pushing the cart too. I think ham and fried egg sandwiches sounds good for supper tomorrow night. With jalapenos of course. I'm out of those too.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:22 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Any of you foodies hearing about the sugar prices rising near you? I've heard it for a couple of weeks now from another list I am on, but see no signs of it going up around me. Now is the time I start buying ingredients for winter baking so I am keeping a close eye on it.

satx is that extra brightness of star #9 keeping you out of the kitchen lately?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:57 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Supper plans have changed. Tonight I'm putting a red tomato based meat sauce with garlic and onions on fresh angel hair pasta. Buttered brussels sprouts on the side. Wanted to fix with veal but none to be had...While shopping I did stock up on haddock fillets while they were back in stock. I'm good with fish now for a month. Lots of good buy one get ones today...

Old 08-28-2009, 04:00 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
Hi everyone. I was in the kitchen most of the morning. I made Amber's Tomato soup with White Beans and Bacon. I had to use up some tomatoes, lol. I modified it a bit and used carrots and celery instead of the potatoes. I also only used 3 pieces of center cut bacon. I used light brown sugar(that's what I had) instead of dark brown and I didn't drain the can of beans. I just put it all in the pot and used a hand masher. It was very good.

Thanks again Amber I will make it again when I have extra tomatoes.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,192,983 times
Anyone make potatoes baked in a fire? I'm not sure, perhaps it's the unmistakable change in the direction of the seasons, but I have been thinking about this for the past couple of days. When I was a kid (50's), our next door neighbors would sometimes have a small fire in the evening, in the back yard. They didn't have any fancy hearth, just a circle of stones around a burnt place in the ground. A bit of fire wood and a nice little blaze would be going. Sitting around this with friends was a lot more entertaining in the pre-video game days Someone would produce (kids don't ever imagine where adults get stuff from) potatoes wrapped in foil and they would be tucked in between the coals and pieces of wood. After awhile the spuds would be extracted from the fire with a stick and we would have to wait for them to get cool enough to handle. Then you would open them up and butter and salt would appear. The skins would be burnt and hard for about an eighth of an inch, making a natural bowl that you could hold with the foil peeled back. I remember how good the hot buttered potatoes would taste, eaten with a spoon, sitting out in the back yard with our friends

Old 08-28-2009, 04:27 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
I had to laugh today--Amber and I were having one of our routine talks--we do that quite often really--anyhow she said her DH had brought her a ton of fresh tomatoes from a friends garden plus zucchini, some yellow neck squash and a few other freshly picked items. She said what am I going to do with all of this? Ha! So she decided to get into her cook books and find some recipes. She said she is going to make some zucchini bread--probably lots of it--and she listed so many yummy things she has already made with the fresh tomatoes plus she's planning on making that tomatoe soup that you made YL!! Yes, I am so proud of my little cook!

Old 08-28-2009, 04:29 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Anyone make potatoes baked in a fire? I'm not sure, perhaps it's the unmistakable change in the direction of the seasons, but I have been thinking about this for the past couple of days. When I was a kid (50's), our next door neighbors would sometimes have a small fire in the evening, in the back yard. They didn't have any fancy hearth, just a circle of stones around a burnt place in the ground. A bit of fire wood and a nice little blaze would be going. Sitting around this with friends was a lot more entertaining in the pre-video game days Someone would produce (kids don't ever imagine where adults get stuff from) potatoes wrapped in foil and they would be tucked in between the coals and pieces of wood. After awhile the spuds would be extracted from the fire with a stick and we would have to wait for them to get cool enough to handle. Then you would open them up and butter and salt would appear. The skins would be burnt and hard for about an eighth of an inch, making a natural bowl that you could hold with the foil peeled back. I remember how good the hot buttered potatoes would taste, eaten with a spoon, sitting out in the back yard with our friends
We've done that when we have camped and they do taste great. Something different about them cooking in the coals of a fire and the butter melted in the potatoe..Oh YUM!!

Old 08-28-2009, 05:18 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
QW, we did that in our charcoal grills. Nothing better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink