Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,976 times

Advertisements

Tomato Soup with White Beans and Bacon Recipe

Print Options

We've used canned white beans here for their convenience. If you want you can take this soup up a notch and use dry beans that you've soaked overnight and cooked until soft.

Ingredients
  • 1/4 pound bacon, diced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cups peeled, chopped potatoes (recommend Yukon Gold)
  • 6 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (or canned whole tomatoes with juice)
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 Tbsp dark brown sugar
  • 1 can white beans, drained
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Method

1 Cook bacon on medium heat in a large saucepan until lightly browned and fat is rendered. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon from the pan. Set on a plate lined with a paper towel.
2 Add the chopped onion to the pot, cook in the bacon fat on medium heat until soft. Add the minced garlic and cook a minute more. Add the chopped peeled potatoes and cook a few minutes more.
3 Add the tomatoes and chicken broth. Cook until potatoes are cooked through, about 20 minutes (or longer).
4 Stir in the brown sugar. Add half of the beans to the mixture. Use an immersion blender to blend about half of the soup mixture (or blend half of the soup in a standing blender and return to the pot).
5 Add bacon to the soup and the rest of the beans. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 8-10. Serve with crusty bread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,405,807 times
We are waiting Amber, lol.

DH and I went to see a friends new property tonight. I brought Jaxson's DD's famous Pecan Pie Muffins and again they were a hit. This time I brought the recipe with me. We had subs for dinner. Yum. I had a couple of small slices of an Italian sub.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:14 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Amber that sounds so good. Got to try it when our tomatoes come back into season.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:21 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,454,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberbaby27 View Post
Tomato Soup with White Beans and Bacon Recipe. This recipe was just sent to me. It is to hot for soup here but I figured I would offer the reciepe for those with a bunch of ripe tomatoes. I am pretty sure you could freeze it for later
OMG... how delicious does THAT look?????????? WOW!!!! Gimme some!!!! LOL

Old 08-26-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debey View Post
I have dicovered my Pampered Chef cheese cutter/knife gadget works better, to cut the kernels off the cob, than any other gadget I've ever owned. Along with an angel food cake pan, using the "tube" to hold the corn securely. I lost count, at 60 bags....3 cups per bag.
OMG woman. You deserve a 3 day pass to a fabulous spa!!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:47 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,779,493 times
Amber..........OMG..........yumm. So simple but wonderful. I'm going to make this one this weekend. Going to friend's house in New Orleans and this sounds like a wonderful starter dish for our cooking marathon on Saturday.

No cooking on Sunday. Thats the day for the French Quarter. Can you say pig out??

Old 08-26-2009, 08:58 PM

3,591 posts, read 1,153,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
Amber..........OMG..........yumm. So simple but wonderful. I'm going to make this one this weekend. Going to friend's house in New Orleans and this sounds like a wonderful starter dish for our cooking marathon on Saturday.

No cooking on Sunday. Thats the day for the French Quarter. Can you say pig out??

I hope it is as good as it sounds!...or looks... I am going to make it for sure when it cools down. Just a perfect time for a recipe with all those green thumbs and there ripe tomatoes
Besides what isn't good with bacon in it?!!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
You've got that right! If it has bacon in it it has to be good!
Thanks Amber, this is one soup I "will" try!
Miss you!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:23 PM

Boy, I am washed out from giving blood yesterday. I never got my lobstah roll today, but I did have a greek salad that I cut up the remainder of rotisserie chicken to sprinkle on top. That with a pita pocket hit the spot. However I did go out and get a triple cone a few hours ago... Maine blueberry, Raspberry Truffle, and Almond Joy with a sugar cone. BAD, BAD, BAD news!!! But SOOOOO good! lol

I really should make my spaghetti sauce and add the box of spinach to it. I'm dying to eat that with the 4 cheese/spinach ravioli I got at Stop and Shop the other day with the yummy looking steak sitting next to it (all that would be really good iron input)... but I'm so pooped. lol Maybe I'll start thinking about it with a gin and tonic and go from there. It's WAY past 5 o'clock somewhere!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:36 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
I laid my ham craving to rest tonight with stacked ham sandwiches. Tomato slices the size of the bread, stacker dills, jalapeno peppers, and carved off the bone ham stacked high. I'm thinking about a repeat performance tomorrow night on a fresh sub roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink