Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:06 PM

483 posts, read 418,645 times

Advertisements

I don't do hamburger helpers but love certain store premade products so I can be lazy and save time...

Like premade pastas, raviolis, tortellini, wontons, gyozas, fish cake products, tofu, taupei, filo dough, shumais, Rice noodles, noodle types, kimchi, seasoning and many many Items that make my life easier.

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion...
Time is money.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Gone to several Thanksgiving where every dish was store made take home and unwrapped foods. Pretty common these days. I prefer store bought turkey since not much people have the time & skill to cook a proper turkey.
sorry, can't agree with you on the turkey for one second. They are so easy to roast and though they take awhile, can be put on in the morning and be ready when guests arrive. But of course what works for one family may not work for another. I just can't imagine sitting down to an entire holiday dinner completely pre cooked and purchased from a store.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:50 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,873,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I'm amazed anyone has the time or inclination to critique how others cook and declare it homemade or otherwise. Perhaps some people have too much time on their hands.
Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner! (Home-made, of course.....)

Someone earlier mentioned the "hypocrisy" of claiming an dinner as home-made when it had elements of canned or pre-prepared items. Well, if that's "hypocrisy" to you, I'm really glad that's the worst you've come across.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:05 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,476,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Winner-Winner-Chicken-Dinner! (Home-made, of course.....)

Someone earlier mentioned the "hypocrisy" of claiming an dinner as home-made when it had elements of canned or pre-prepared items. Well, if that's "hypocrisy" to you, I'm really glad that's the worst you've come across.
That would be me. BUT if you didn't get my meaning in relation to the OP.....she was complaining about a friend who looked down on people using hamburger helper while using other mixes themself. That is hypocrisy in my opinion. If you consider your own cooking homemade then you shouldn't look down on others doing the same but different. They are both using shortcuts. One is no better or worse then the other. I think that's what most are missing when reading the OP and I guess my post too!

Old 10-27-2016, 03:01 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,380,912 times
One of my favorite meals is made with sour cream and condensed cream of mushroom soup. It takes some knowledge to get the dish to turn out right, and everyone I know loves it. Is it home cooking? I really don't care, but the folks I know seem to think so.

But that roast recipe is very common, especially in the midwest. It's part of the midwestern cook's repertoire, often as not.

Depends on your background and culture, I guess.

That said, I generally want to punch anyone who describes themselves as a foodie. That is all.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,860,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Gone to several Thanksgiving where every dish was store made take home and unwrapped foods. Pretty common these days. I prefer store bought turkey since not much people have the time & skill to cook a proper turkey.
I've never known anyone who does a store-prepared holiday meal. Even people who don't often cook seem to enjoy contributing a home cooked side or dessert.

I have seen the stores advertising the complete store-prepared holiday meals and thought how sad they are. I could picture them being used for office parties but not for a family get together. Isn't part of the fun of holiday meals preparing and enjoying your traditional family recipes with your family? Even my sister-in-law who didn't especially like to cook pulled it together for family meals and prepared a really delicious corn casserole that had been in the family for years.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:11 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
I have never claimed that my food is scratch made. Homemade yes because I made it at home LOL. I do use some convenience items it my foods too. I am also one of those who uses pre-packaged chili mix when I make chili. I like the flavor and it's easy. As for hamburger helper or tuna helper never had it never will. I don't use too many ore-packaged seasoning mixes because of the sodium content, I try and get the lower sodium ones. Now I still love Rice A Roni but the salt content is way too much. I grew up eating pre-packaged rice and pasta mixes and my mom was a great cook but when it came to side dishes during the week she took shortcuts. I do use canned soups in some recipe's.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:15 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I have never claimed that my food is scratch made. Homemade yes because I made it at home LOL. I do use some convenience items it my foods too. I am also one of those who uses pre-packaged chili mix when I make chili. I like the flavor and it's easy. As for hamburger helper or tuna helper never had it never will. I don't use too many ore-packaged seasoning mixes because of the sodium content, I try and get the lower sodium ones. Now I still love Rice A Roni but the salt content is way too much. I grew up eating pre-packaged rice and pasta mixes and my mom was a great cook but when it came to side dishes during the week she took shortcuts. I do use canned soups in some recipe's.
You can make Rice a Roni with your own homemade broth or commercial low sodium broth to take away the sodium issue - sprinkle in a very small portion of the seasoning packet to taste.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:46 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,498,125 times
It doesn't sound delicious to me. But at least she is cooking at home and not eating fast food or frozen dinners - or take out fried chicken, pizza, or Chinese food.

I know plenty of people who do the above.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:31 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,519,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I've never known anyone who does a store-prepared holiday meal. Even people who don't often cook seem to enjoy contributing a home cooked side or dessert.

I have seen the stores advertising the complete store-prepared holiday meals and thought how sad they are. I could picture them being used for office parties but not for a family get together. Isn't part of the fun of holiday meals preparing and enjoying your traditional family recipes with your family? Even my sister-in-law who didn't especially like to cook pulled it together for family meals and prepared a really delicious corn casserole that had been in the family for years.
The past two years, we've gotten our family Thanksgiving dinner from Balduccis, and it's been an outstanding meal! We'd much rather spend the time with each other than slaving in the kitchen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink