Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:04 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I ALWAYS use canned tomatoes if it's not summer, when we grow them in our garden. Vastly preferable to mealy, out of season, bland store tomatoes. If homegrown isn't available, canned all the way.

I also almost exclusively use canned beans (red beans, white beans, navy beans, black beans, etc.), mainly because I rarely plan enough ahead to soak dried beans.
Exactly. Like someone said upthread, when I make chili it's pretty much a couple of cans of tomatoes, a couple of cans of beans, with an onion and a green pepper and maybe a zucchini thrown in. Maybe I can't claim that it's made from scratch, but it's certainly home-assembled.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:09 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
I ALWAYS use canned tomatoes if it's not summer, when we grow them in our garden. Vastly preferable to mealy, out of season, bland store tomatoes. If homegrown isn't available, canned all the way.

I also almost exclusively use canned beans (red beans, white beans, navy beans, black beans, etc.), mainly because I rarely plan enough ahead to soak dried beans.
I confess I typically use jarred tomato sauce for pasta. There's one that I really like the flavor of, and it's quick and easy and I doctor it up a bit with some additional herbs and spices and a splash of wine and I'm good. I don't actually use it all that often anyway, because my kiddo doesn't like red sauce so we typically have our pasta other ways than with red sauce.

This was for a stuffed cabbage recipe. I make a really big batch of the sauce and freeze so I can make several batches of the stuffed cabbage over time. It had been a few months since I made the last batch of sauce, and that was the last time I had used the can opener. The kid had helped clean the kitchen that last time, so I had no idea where he had stashed it! lol!

Old 10-27-2016, 12:14 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times
Quote:
Because it's clearly all a giant competition.

I remember when I was in hs band, and we did an annual spaghetti dinner fundraiser. Booster parents supplied brownies and cookies and such for dessert. I remember some parents would bring store-purchased baked goods, others would bake themselves. I remember one mom inquiring if the brownies were purchased, or homemade in a particular instance. The kid dropping them off said, "My mom baked them. " The lady literally turned up her nose and said, "Be honest, though...from a mix, right?" Give me an effin' break.
Meanwhile, the spaghetti sauce was probably out of a jar, right? LOL

Old 10-27-2016, 12:16 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Quote:
Because it's clearly all a giant competition.

I remember when I was in hs band, and we did an annual spaghetti dinner fundraiser. Booster parents supplied brownies and cookies and such for dessert. I remember some parents would bring store-purchased baked goods, others would bake themselves. I remember one mom inquiring if the brownies were purchased, or homemade in a particular instance. The kid dropping them off said, "My mom baked them. " The lady literally turned up her nose and said, "Be honest, though...from a mix, right?" Give me an effin' break.
I bake for the bake sales my husband's employer has (to raise money for various charities) and the organizer of the bake sales always asks for my recipes the next day. My husband is sure that they want the recipes because they don't believe that the baked goods are homemade. They're very specific about not giving credit for volunteer hours for purchased baked goods.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:23 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,855,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I almost never use canned goods. It took me 10 minutes to find the opener when I made something recently that used several canned tomato products.
I use fresh or frozen instead of canned. For several years my one canned ingredient was beans. Then I "discovered" how easy it is to soak beans, and how many wonderful varieties of dried beans are available. Even an average grocery store has quite a few varieties. Whole Foods and a few other stores have bulk bins of dozens of varieties of dried beans that you can measure out and purchase by the cup, ounce, pound or however you want. I try new beans every time I shop.

Now we use dried beans for everything, healthier and so must tastier. Even canned refried beans lend a tinny taste to Mexican casseroles and baked burritos.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:32 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Homemade is not the same as "Scratch Made". So technically even the hamburger helper is homemade.
That's my thought process as well to be honest. And even, from scratch, doesn't mean that one has to personally make every item oneself. For instance, one can an bake a pie "from scratch" and not ground the wheat oneself, etc. No, in my view, you'd start getting away from the "from scratch" authenticity if you buy canned apples, a pre-made pie crust, etc.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:38 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I confess I typically use jarred tomato sauce for pasta. There's one that I really like the flavor of, and it's quick and easy and I doctor it up a bit with some additional herbs and spices and a splash of wine and I'm good. I don't actually use it all that often anyway, because my kiddo doesn't like red sauce so we typically have our pasta other ways than with red sauce.

This was for a stuffed cabbage recipe. I make a really big batch of the sauce and freeze so I can make several batches of the stuffed cabbage over time. It had been a few months since I made the last batch of sauce, and that was the last time I had used the can opener. The kid had helped clean the kitchen that last time, so I had no idea where he had stashed it! lol!
I rarely make red sauce for pasta (we mostly do garlic, herb, and olive oil-tossed pasta, sometimes with fresh diced tomato when in season), but when I do, I usually use whole canned tomatoes.

Old 10-27-2016, 12:45 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
I'm amazed anyone has the time or inclination to critique how others cook and declare it homemade or otherwise. Perhaps some people have too much time on their hands.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
A few years back, over a course of four weeks, I was invited to five "home cooked meals" by various people. In four of the five meals, I was served a Costco pot pie. Not that there is anything wrong with Costco pot pies as I actually like them. However, why make a big deal telling me that you made it from scratch when you brought it in from the store?

Old 10-27-2016, 01:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I try not to let myself get annoyed by such things, and focus instead on the fact that they're cooking dinner for their family. It's becoming more and more uncommon, unfortunately.
you are right; in fact even those who do cook for the family often eat dinner separately. But a lot of things we see today are very different from when we were growing up.

Now on serving things like humburger helper, I stil would rather see mom or dad fix a little healthier food. Maybe if a salad is added or fresh veggies (not canned) it would balance itself out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink