Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Oceans 56 77.78%
Great Lakes 8 11.11%
Rivers/streams 1 1.39%
Other lakes 4 5.56%
My backyard pond 3 4.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 10:38 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,777,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I've had Great Lakes Walleye and enjoyed it but I live within walking distance of the Atlantic so Oceans! for me, especially during shrimp season
I'm the opposite -- lived on the Great Lakes all my life and love the fish caught there. Ocean fish is OK, but not the taste of home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 11:41 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
Cold water ocean fish and shellfish is good. I don't care nearly as much for those from more tropical waters.

You can't beat a good walleye from a cold northern lake.

Old 09-18-2014, 02:54 PM

242 posts, read 403,378 times
This is certainly a simple question! The oceans have so much more variety and selection of fish than any other of the choices! OSHA's also have many different kinds of shellfish which can't be found any place in lakes and streams.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:27 PM

830 posts, read 1,541,026 times
Maybe rather than saying seafood (with quotes around one instance) we should say "fish." Then, we're talking about the same thing.... water-dwelling creatures excluding mollusks (clams) and crustacean (lobster) which everyone loves so much and which only come from the ocean (as far as we're concerned....)

Count me as an ocean person, having grown up in coastal Maine. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've had fresh water fish in my life, and I'm pretty sure I hated it every time, despite generally loving anything that comes out of the ocean.

On the other hand... FRESH is almost always best, so whatever if local is probably the best-tasting. If that is fresh water fish, then it is probably best... at least better than frozen ocean fish.

Old 09-18-2014, 03:50 PM

41,995 posts, read 75,304,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And obviously saltwater fish is considered better in terms of flavor. That isn't even up for debate.
Perhaps obvious only to you, so yes it is up for debate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
water-dwelling creatures excluding mollusks (clams) and crustacean (lobster) which everyone loves so much and which only come from the ocean
Mollusks and crustaceans also thrive in fresh water. Never heard of crawfish (aka crayfish, crawdads) or a crawfish boil, have you?

Old 09-18-2014, 04:28 PM

156 posts, read 137,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Perhaps obvious only to you, so yes it is up for debate.

Mollusks and crustaceans also thrive in fresh water. Never heard of crawfish (aka crayfish, crawdads) or a crawfish boil, have you?
They make excellent freshwater fish bait as well. We ran out of nightcrawlers on a two week camping/fishing/boating trip once and that is all we used from then until we went home. Just break the tail off and peel the shell off and bait your hook with the meat. The bluegill, crappie and rainbow trout really go for it. Bam, bam, bam......one right after the other.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,745,809 times
Many of you people have obviously never had fresh caught mountain lake trout cooked over an open fire after it was just wiggling a few moments before.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,640,387 times
I don't like any of it.

Old 09-18-2014, 04:46 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,270,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Maybe rather than saying seafood (with quotes around one instance) we should say "fish." Then, we're talking about the same thing.... water-dwelling creatures excluding mollusks (clams) and crustacean (lobster) which everyone loves so much and which only come from the ocean (as far as we're concerned....)

Count me as an ocean person, having grown up in coastal Maine. I can probably count on one hand the number of times I've had fresh water fish in my life, and I'm pretty sure I hated it every time, despite generally loving anything that comes out of the ocean.

On the other hand... FRESH is almost always best, so whatever if local is probably the best-tasting. If that is fresh water fish, then it is probably best... at least better than frozen ocean fish.
good post!!

I grew up on the coast of maine too, my father was/is a fisherman/lobsterman, use to eat seafood A LOT!!

and catch mackerel, harbor Pollock, stripers, bluefish, and flounder

and we'd dig clams , pick mussels, drag for scallops

we'd be given shrimp (barter) from neighbors, those were great!!

for family reunions, we would boat to an island, us kids would pick seaweed, then we'd have a clambake- cook the lobsters, clams, mackerel in the seaweed(over a wood fire)and it was simply delicious!!

Old 09-18-2014, 06:25 PM

983 posts, read 997,064 times
Grew up in the Great Lakes, now live on the Pacific coast, and I hate all kinds of seafood.
I know, I'm boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink