Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2014, 08:16 AM

33 posts, read 54,536 times

Advertisements

I have a Calphalon pan and a Cuisniart skillet -both of which are supposedly dish washer safe- yet when I put them in- I noticed small areas of non stick surface has peeled off

Do you hand wash or place your prized pots in the washer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2014, 08:31 AM

86 posts, read 98,430 times
Are they non-stick pans? We had a Calphalon skillet that was non-stick and after a while the coating started peeling and was told it was because we used to high a heat. All our Calphalon gets hand washed, but then again we dont have a dishwaher.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:41 AM

24,731 posts, read 11,066,957 times
Contact Calphalon/Cuisinart or the store for replacements. Those bits and pieces may have ended up in your meals. Mine are doing fine in the dishwasher.

Old 10-13-2014, 08:49 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,772,434 times
You may just be noticing the coating coming off after you remove them from the dish washer but that doesn't mean the dishwasher causes the coating to peel. It's how your treating them during the cooking process most likely.

Old 10-13-2014, 01:35 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,016,850 times
I don't feel the need to use the dishwasher for my non-stick stuff...wipe out, and do a quick hand wash....usually, it's just a swish or two!

Old 10-13-2014, 02:46 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,688,475 times
This thread makes me love my ol' cast iron skillet! Treat it right and there isn't anything it can't do.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:01 PM

32,690 posts, read 48,238,918 times
In my opinion, dishwasher soap etches whatever it comes in contact with. I hand wash my good cooking pots, all my silicon, and the pottery crock pot.

Also, acrylic drinking glasses will be ruined in the dishwasher.

Wood handled knifes should also be hand washed. When I use the real sterling silver flatware and the crystal goblets, those get hand washed.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:52 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,257,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You may just be noticing the coating coming off after you remove them from the dish washer but that doesn't mean the dishwasher causes the coating to peel. It's how your treating them during the cooking process most likely.

Agreed, as well as how they're being stored. I never put another pan or pot inside my non-stick cookware in the cabinets. I don't have a dishwasher so I handwash everything. When I stack cookware in the dishrack, I don't put a non-stick pan on top of the other dishes or pots that way nothing rubs against the coating. I also never use an abrasive cleaner like Brillo or even the scrub side of a sponge. Warm water and soap usually cleans them right up. And never use a metal utensil during cooking. I have several Calphalon pans and they recommend plastic utensils. I don't think the dishwasher is the problem.

I believe high heat shouldn't be a problem either. Most brands allow up to 500 degrees.

OP, are you allowing pans to cool before washing? I never put a hot pan into a sink with cold water. If you are following Calphalon's manufacturer instructions, you should be covered under their lifetime warranty.

Old 10-16-2014, 03:59 PM

50,423 posts, read 64,185,923 times
This whole subject is why I only use super cheap non stick pans. I am willing to pay for high quality pans, in general, but I have learned that a cheap Teflon pan is fine for eggs. When the coating is compromised, I throw it out and get another.
I can't think of another example in which a non stick pan is necessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink