Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 06:35 PM

848 posts, read 1,953,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post

What we need to do is enforce the current laws and crack down on employers. In my town here in GA, we have large chicken processing plants. Everyone knows they hire 100% illegal labor, yet nothing is done. In fact, the companies just paid a fine of something like $300k for hiring illegals, but now business continues as usual.
You're absolutely right about employers blatantly hiring illegals. Walmart is another major offender and like your chicken processing plants they get slapped with a token fine. $300k may seem like a fortune to us, but it's petty cash to those companies. Where the big bucks ARE going is for payoffs for officials to look the other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM

5,025 posts, read 7,230,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulFrank View Post

I carry my license with me all the time. I would not mind showing it once in awhile to prove my legality. Living here is a privilege, not a right. The folks who seem to be all bent about this law do not seem to come up with solutions.
Living here is a privilege, not a right? I don't remember reading that in history class. I figured that since I was born in the United States, I had a right to live here. Silly me. Pigs will fly before I show a cop an ID to prove I'm an American citizen.
Some of the folks who "seem to be all bent" about this law have a problem with it because it's a waste of time and will be overturned.
A good solution would be to hit the businesses that hire illegals hard, I mean taking away their ability to stay in business hard. Prison time hard.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 04-30-2010 at 08:07 PM..

Old 04-30-2010, 07:03 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Living here is a privilege, not a right? I don't remember reading that in history class. I figured that since I was born in the United States, I had a right to live here. Silly me. Pigs will fly before I show a cop an ID to prove I'm an American citizen.
Some of the folks who "seem to be all bent" about this law have a problem with it because it's a waste of time and will be overturned.
A good solution would be to hit the business' that hire illegals hard, I mean taking away their ability to stay in business hard. Prison time hard.
Absolutely. If they can't find a place to work to earn a paycheck, they won't be staying here for long.

And I agree, being a citizen, it is a right to live in the US, not a privileged.

Old 04-30-2010, 07:30 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
A good solution would be to hit the business' that hire illegals hard, I mean taking away their ability to stay in business hard. Prison time hard.
I understand, and it is good to read a solution. It is the first time in this thread that penalizing businesses that give illegals a reason to be here as a partial solution.

As to the privilege/right thing, I did not express myself clear........I' ve seen interviews of illegals stating on the news that they have rights here......as a non-citizen, I have a hard time understanding that. In one interview the illegal stated that she has gone to public schools here her whole life, and now with this law it will make it more difficult for her to go to college here...and she felt that was unfair and she had a "right" to get any free program she could here, including college, etc.........My thoughts were that this was wrong. A non citizen who is here illegally does not have the same rights as a legal citizen.......IMHO.

I do understand some of the reasons that this law is so controversial. It may not be the best solution, but clearly something needs to be done, especially in the states where illegal immigration is having the most harmful effects. States like Arizona have been quite patient waiting for a federal solution, for years in vain. Now perhaps it will get some attention.

Frank

Old 04-30-2010, 08:19 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
Interesting. You get your facts and figures from a site called, "The Dark Side Of Illegal Immigration- Facts, Figures And Statistics On Illegal Immigration"

I'm sure this is a reputable, non bias source.

Here, please educate yourself. You're right, Google is our friend and this quick search only took me 5 minutes:

Cost of Illegal Immigrants | FactCheck.org

So you were trolling or baiting then weren't you?

Lets face the facts. 70% of all Americans want laws like the one Arizona just passed. For me I hope Florida and many other follow suit and do the same thing.

We need to close our borders completely and clean up the mess we have right now of illegals coming over here and committing so many crimes etc.

Florida needs this law just as much as Arizona, California and Texas does.

NC is flooded with illegals.

So keeping on the topic I believe most Floridians would welcome such a bill to keep Florida more safe and help with the job issues that illegals are taking.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:54 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,327,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
So you were trolling or baiting then weren't you?

Lets face the facts. 70% of all Americans want laws like the one Arizona just passed. For me I hope Florida and many other follow suit and do the same thing.

We need to close our borders completely and clean up the mess we have right now of illegals coming over here and committing so many crimes etc.

Florida needs this law just as much as Arizona, California and Texas does.

NC is flooded with illegals.

So keeping on the topic I believe most Floridians would welcome such a bill to keep Florida more safe and help with the job issues that illegals are taking.
Not at all. I was hoping you would just provide some real facts as opposed to spewing nonsense. Finally, when you refused, I had to go do it myself.

70% is NOT FACT, either. Where are you getting this number??

Even the Right leaning Gallup poll doesn't put that number at 70%, so please, for your own credibility, PLEASE tell me where you're getting this number.
More Americans Favor Than Oppose Arizona Immigration Law

Please read the above, as well as the other information I posted. Please do, really. I know you want to believe what you're saying is true, but it's not.

Old 04-30-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Not at all. I was hoping you would just provide some real facts as opposed to spewing nonsense. Finally, when you refused, I had to go do it myself.

Even the Right leaning Gallup poll doesn't put that number at 70%, so please, for your own credibility, PLEASE tell me where you're getting this number.

Please read the above, as well as the other information I posted. Please do, really. I know you want to believe what you're saying is true, but it's not.

Sorry but you are wrong.

I posted several links for you to read so you would understand.

There have been many polls in the 60's and one 70%.

Here is one that shows 64%.

Poll: Most support Arizona immigration law - UPI.com

For your credibility please stop asking me to do your homework for you.

Answer my question I have asked you twice.

Are you in favor of deporting ALL illegals from our country?

Do you believe they are breaking the law for just being here?

Do you think America and the state of Florida would be better off if we could find and deport every single illegal criminal from the US?

Old 04-30-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:

Even using your data, 51% favor it which the last time I checked would be the MAJORITY OF US!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 09:55 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,470,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You need to read the law that Arizona just passed.

NO ONE will be stopped just because they look illegal.

I agree also that if you have nothing to hide then there should be no problem.

We need to fix the illegal trespassing issue some how.

I see many other states following Arizona as 70% of all Americans want the illegals out of our country.

I do not care what country they are from if they are here illegally they are trespassing and are criminals for doing so.

Please stop repeating the lie Obama told yesterday as it is all hogwash.

The Arizona law enforces the law that the feds wont.

Thank you Arizona and I hope Florida follows suit as well as a ton of other states.
I always get a laugh out of you guys. For a year now I've listened to you warn about the imaginary threat of "Obama's big government coming into our lives." Yet you quickly turn around and embrace this policy, which reminds me more of the Czech republic than America.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:15 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
I will say this only once more-
Debate issues, but do not be rude or discuss other posters. Name calling will NOT be allowed. If continued, infractions will be given and this thread will be closed.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida