Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 05:37 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,634,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy ghost View Post
i think the whole world is getting hotter and hotter year after year,so we should protect our environment!
Of course we should protect our environment but the temperature change has happened for thousands of years and will continue no matter what we do.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:15 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,126,573 times
I dont think there has been huge variations in summer temps for South Florida over the last 26 years since I have lived here. However, it does feel a little more humid than it used to driving the heat index up.

It could be my perception is due to my advancing years----now that I am 61 the heat and humidity takes more of a toll on my antiquated body----especially the humidity.

We are considering Arizona for retirement----yes it is a furnace in a lot of locations there. It would trading the suana that is S Florida for the oven. Yet a lot of people who I have talked to who have transitioned to Arizona from Florida do claim after a year of adjustment they do find the dry heat to be more comfortable.

We will see---still about two years or so left to decide----sauna or furnace----we will see.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Maybe Al Gore's message about global warming isnt so crazy after all, the Earth is no doubt in one of its heating up cycles the question is whether our global use of 90 million barrels of oil per day is causing an abnormal speed up of what would normally be considered a natural cycle.
Flame suit on

Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I dont think there has been huge variations in summer temps for South Florida over the last 26 years since I have lived here. However, it does feel a little more humid than it used to driving the heat index up.

It could be my perception is due to my advancing years----now that I am 61 the heat and humidity takes more of a toll on my antiquated body----especially the humidity.

We are considering Arizona for retirement----yes it is a furnace in a lot of locations there. It would trading the suana that is S Florida for the oven. Yet a lot of people who I have talked to who have transitioned to Arizona from Florida do claim after a year of adjustment they do find the dry heat to be more comfortable.

We will see---still about two years or so left to decide----sauna or furnace----we will see.

Be careful. I have a friend who lived in Arizona for years, and now lives in S. Fla. She described spontaneous nose bleeds from the dryness, and dry, cracked skin from the heat!

Old 09-20-2010, 06:06 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,768,528 times
I will say one thing. I spent the last weekend in Orlando at Universal. It is in no way as hot as it is down here. It made it to 88-90 all 3 days, but the humidity/dew point was WAAAAYYY lower, and it felt so much better than down here in Estero... What a difference, SWFL is the reason I am not liking it in FL anymore. Need to move to central or N FL.... When I got back last night I noticed an immediate difference.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:45 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,120,522 times
We're supposed to be going into an Active Solar Cycle (it's been pretty dormant). So, I think you would expect warmer temperatures and more storms.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:31 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I will say one thing. I spent the last weekend in Orlando at Universal. It is in no way as hot as it is down here. It made it to 88-90 all 3 days, but the humidity/dew point was WAAAAYYY lower, and it felt so much better than down here in Estero... What a difference, SWFL is the reason I am not liking it in FL anymore. Need to move to central or N FL.... When I got back last night I noticed an immediate difference.
That is true, Chris. As a native, I don't like anything south of Sarasota, weather-wise. Once you get south of here is it way too hot and humid all the time (for me, anyway). The past week has been beautiful here, lower humidity and a cool breeze - almost a pre-fall feeling that I have really been enjoying. I totally understand why you hate being where you are.

And central Florida has lower humidity than near the coasts. While it got hot in Lakeland (where we used to live) the humidity was always a lot lower and since we lived in the shade near a lake, weather was almost always pleasant. So it makes a big difference where one lives in FL.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:09 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,452,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Be careful. I have a friend who lived in Arizona for years, and now lives in S. Fla. She described spontaneous nose bleeds from the dryness, and dry, cracked skin from the heat!
It's interesting how alike we are yet different at the same time. I have a friend that lives in Phoenix who used to live in Miami. He hates the weather in Florida, he says the humidity is worse in Florida than the 100 degree dry temps there. Each one of us will have a different experience and in the end like different weather.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:19 AM

558 posts, read 1,834,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
And central Florida has lower humidity than near the coasts. While it got hot in Lakeland (where we used to live) the humidity was always a lot lower and since we lived in the shade near a lake, weather was almost always pleasant. So it makes a big difference where one lives in FL.
I find the weather much more tolerable near the coasts because at least you get a breeze from the Ocean or Gulf. Inland Florida has the worst weather imho. The only time we get nice airflow is when storms are moving through the area.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
I find the weather much more tolerable near the coasts because at least you get a breeze from the Ocean or Gulf. Inland Florida has the worst weather imho. The only time we get nice airflow is when storms are moving through the area.
I agree - overall weather is much nicer here in Sarasota overall than Lakeland. But my point really was just that even inland it can feel pleasant depending if one lives in a shady area near a lake or something.

We have been having really nice breezes down here in Sarasota for the past week, been very pleasant to be outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida