Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 02:26 PM

334 posts, read 1,151,225 times

Advertisements

It's definitely warmer than it used to be. We can easily grow coconut palms here in Melbourne now, and 10 years or so ago you couldn't north of Ft. Pierce. That being said, the start of the cool/dry season is always cyclical each year. It'll be chilly for a few days, then warm up for a few days, then cool off again. It's usually not until January when it stays cool for any length of time.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:03 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I just heard that NORTH Florida is going to get a cold front this week. Here in South Florida we aren't getting it and it's going to be in the high 80s/low 90s this week. Whoopppee. I am not only in the wrong state. I am even in the wrong PART of the state.
Yeah when it comes to cool fronts and getting the GOOD weather down here we get screwed.... North Fl gets the better stuff.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
But the realtors on this board tell people it is an average of 76 degrees in places like Tampa this time of year....lol...yes 76 degrees at 11pm.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,453,322 times
Many things will say the average temp for October, November is ... 76 may be the average temp, as they take the high temp and the low temp for the day. Find the median number from those two temps which is probably 76 degrees, this is miss leading IMO. The average temperature in October is 76 degrees sounds a lot better to sell some one on Florida than 85 degrees is the average High temp in October.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:01 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Many things will say the average temp for October, November is ... 76 may be the average temp, as they take the high temp and the low temp for the day. Find the median number from those two temps which is probably 76 degrees, this is miss leading IMO. The average temperature in October is 76 degrees sounds a lot better to sell some one on Florida than 85 degrees is the average High temp in October.
Or record high temps in the last 3 weeks, how exciting... Then there are the people dead set on coming here because it is warm, then ghetting here and saying HOLY COWS!!!! Reality slap!!! Oh yeah, and it is like this for 9 months, welcome to Florida, aka "paradise". LOL

Old 06-14-2010, 09:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,896 times
I have been in Florida since 1964 and I don't remember hearing about 90 degree F weather - hardly ever. In 1975 I remember our school finally having to get central AC. I do remember a weird heatwave during the Summer of 1980 - I was driving back from out west, I was hoping Florida was safe, but Fla was experiencing 100-105 degree F weather too ~

check out this website report: [URL]http://www.sundancechannel.com/sunfiltered/tag/average-temperatures/[/URL]

Last edited by west6464; 06-14-2010 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: adding a website address

Old 06-14-2010, 11:35 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west6464 View Post
I have been in Florida since 1964 and I don't remember hearing about 90 degree F weather - hardly ever. In 1975 I remember our school finally having to get central AC. I do remember a weird heatwave during the Summer of 1980 - I was driving back from out west, I was hoping Florida was safe, but Fla was experiencing 100-105 degree F weather too ~

check out this website report: SUNfiltered : Fresh culture daily. » average temperatures
There can be an actual answer. If you look at old aerial pictures of south Florida you can't hardly see anything. The tree canopy seems to be almost a 100%. Then you have like 40 years of non stop building and you look at an aerial view and all you see are roof tops and roadway. If you go to a park and stand under a tree it will actually be quite cool. You don't have black top absorbing the sun and radiating it back 30% hotter the the air temp. A breeze coming off a roadway and blowing at your house is like having a heater pointed at your house. Even in Broward county after hurricane Wilma they said the county lost 30 percent of what ever tree canopy we had and it would take 20 or more years to get it back. It probably is in fact hotter.

Your yard may be hotter or cooler then the temp you see on the news depending where they take their readings. I live on a road but I have a wood privicy fence in the front of the house. Between my neighbor and myself we have over a acre with trees and grass. If I am in my yard under the mango tree it is very comfortable even on the hottest day. Let me just walk out around that 6'6" fence and get a blast of heat off that street and you may feel like you are going to faint. Backyard, front yard, one comfortable the other almost unbearable, same property.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango23 View Post
There can be an actual answer. If you look at old aerial pictures of south Florida you can't hardly see anything. The tree canopy seems to be almost a 100%. Then you have like 40 years of non stop building and you look at an aerial view and all you see are roof tops and roadway. If you go to a park and stand under a tree it will actually be quite cool. You don't have black top absorbing the sun and radiating it back 30% hotter the the air temp. A breeze coming off a roadway and blowing at your house is like having a heater pointed at your house. Even in Broward county after hurricane Wilma they said the county lost 30 percent of what ever tree canopy we had and it would take 20 or more years to get it back. It probably is in fact hotter.

Your yard may be hotter or cooler then the temp you see on the news depending where they take their readings. I live on a road but I have a wood privicy fence in the front of the house. Between my neighbor and myself we have over a acre with trees and grass. If I am in my yard under the mango tree it is very comfortable even on the hottest day. Let me just walk out around that 6'6" fence and get a blast of heat off that street and you may feel like you are going to faint. Backyard, front yard, one comfortable the other almost unbearable, same property.
Mango, my property is the same way - front yard is oriented to the Bay and gets cool breezes (the north side) despite virtually no shade. The east side has a big shade tree and feel absolutely air-conditioned. My back yard is hellish - it is always several degrees hotter than the front, and most of the breeze is cut off there due to buildings, etc. blocking it.

When we used to live in Dade City in the country we had over an acre of very shady property - the whole neighborhood was like that and it was quite pleasant, but if we ventured down to the grocery store in the hot parking lot it felt like we were in a furnace. Different things reflect micro-climates.

Overall, I believe it is correct to say that the major loss of tree canopy coupled with so much more pavement adds to the heat sink factor, and therefore it truly can be hotter, especially in south Florida.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,956 times
These hot threads just always crack me up.

Florida is NOT that much hotter in the summer than most other places, and as for October being hotter than normal, it may be due to global warming.

Miami is currently 86 degrees with 75% humidity. Norfolk, VA is 83 degrees with 70% humidity. This (actually, around 85-87) is normal summer weather for us and it's only June 14. The grass isn't always greener... well, actually, since we both have similar temps and humidity, I guess the grass is probably pretty green in both places, but I digress.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:29 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,346,834 times
Weather - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville, Cary forecasts and radar :: WRAL.com

High of 97 here in Raleigh with a heat index between 100-105 they say. Maybe it's that our temps cool down more at night?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida