Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

1,046 posts, read 569,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
That’s a difficult statement to make unless you’ve actually visited Asia. I’ve been to a lot of well rated Asian places in Florida that just don’t measure up. It’s like “this is great sushi!” is more like “this is a great American attempt at sushi.” Does it really matter who makes the best dragon roll or volcano roll? And few people realize what’s really authentic and what isn’t.

That said, Orlando does have good Vietnamese!
Taiwanese here. Born and raised in Taipei (until 16 yrs old moving to Paris then NYC-Los Angeles-Sarasota, will be moving back to FL in the tri-county area in SoFla by mid-May and grew up eating very very authentic Japanese food as my Father is half Japanese. He knew all the great sushi chefs and restaurateurs so we would be invited to eat Japanese every weekend. Just went back to Asia for two months last Sep eating all over Taipei, Tokyo, Seoul and HK.

Here is what I consider very authentic Asian food in FL so far: (will explore Miami area once we moved there.-just had Marumi Sushi in Plantation and (I forgot the name) pretty authentic and delicious Vietnamese in Fort Lauderdale (hole in the wall place.)).

In Orlando:

Tammy’s Garden (very, very good Taiwanese food. The spicy stinky tofu & marinated seaweed/bean curds are as good as any restaurants/deli in Taiwan.)

In St Pete:

ABC Seafood restaurant. So good, especially the clams with basils and black bean sauce. I would send my husband at late night (they are open until 11:30) to pick this up, it was as good as any Cantonese food in NYC and HK.

In Clearwater:

Ken Sushi (I swear I’ll drive from Miami or PBC or wherever i end up moving to in South Florida to Clearwater just to eat at Ken Sushi. We used to drive for more than an hour just to eat there. I love how clean and fresh-the number one key for sashimi-their sashimi is.)

Now please recommend great Vietnamese in Orlando, I know we will Brightline to Orlando just for Tammy’s Garden.

Did any of you catch on Netflix Somebody Feed Phil Orlando episode? It’s very sweet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
Taiwanese here. Born and raised in Taipei (until 16 yrs old moving to Paris then NYC-Los Angeles-Sarasota, will be moving back to FL in the tri-county area in SoFla by mid-May and grew up eating very very authentic Japanese food as my Father is half Japanese. He knew all the great sushi chefs and restaurateurs so we would be invited to eat Japanese every weekend. Just went back to Asia for two months last Sep eating all over Taiwan, Tokyo, Seoul and HK.

Here is what I consider very authentic Asian food in FL so far: (will explore Miami area once we moved there.-just had Marumi Sushi in Plantation and (I forgot the name) pretty authentic and delicious Vietnamese in Fort Lauderdale (hole in the wall place.)).

In Orlando:

Tammy’s Garden (very, very good Taiwanese food. The spicy stinky tofu & marinated seaweed/bean curds are as good as any restaurants/deli in Taiwan.)

In St Pete:

ABC Seafood restaurant. So good, especially the clams with basils and black bean sauce. I would send my husband at late night (they are open until 11:30) to pick this up, it was as good as any Cantonese food in NYC and HK.

In Clearwater:

Ken Sushi (I swear I’ll drive from Miami or PBC or wherever i end up moving to in South Florida to Clearwater just to eat at Ken Sushi. We used to drive for more than an hour just to eat there. I love how clean and fresh-the number one key for sashimi-their sashimi is.)

Now please recommend great Vietnamese in Orlando, I know we will Brightline to Orlando just for Tammy’s Garden.

Did any of you catch on Netflix Somebody Feed Phil Orlando episode? It’s very sweet.
I used to love Taipei 101, but the owner retired and the son didn't want to continue running it. I'll have to give Tammy's a try!

Vietnamese I like Pho Huong Lan for Bun Bo Hue or Pho. They make everything from scratch and serve it the same way as in Vietnam.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I used to love Taipei 101, but the owner retired and the son didn't want to continue running it. I'll have to give Tammy's a try!

Vietnamese I like Pho Huong Lan for Bun Bo Hue or Pho. They make everything from scratch and serve it the same way as in Vietnam.
Thank you for your recommendations! Taking notes now.

I was so sad when I knew Taipei 101 was closed for good. I’ve been there only once but I loved their sautéed/fried vermicelli.

Tammy’s is good. I know people driving for hours from Miami just to eat there.

And I’m still waiting for H Mart to open in Orlando.

Orlando is supposed to be the foodie city now so I’m very excited and looking forward to visiting again!

Old Yesterday, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtung baby View Post
Thank you for your recommendations! Taking notes now.

I was so sad when I knew Taipei 101 was closed for good. I’ve been there only once but I loved their sautéed/fried vermicelli.

Tammy’s is good. I know people driving for hours from Miami just to eat there.

And I’m still waiting for H Mart to open in Orlando.

Orlando is supposed to be the foodie city now so I’m very excited and looking forward to visiting again!
Same! One of my friends worked there, that's how I knew the family was retiring and the son didn't want to keep it. Such a bummer! I can't find Tammy's on google search, what's the address if you don't mind?

As of right now, I've been pretty addicted to "Boiled Fish", I'd suggest really giving them a try next time you are in town, so good. I really like Green Pepper Sauerkraut Fish, Laotan Sauerkraut Fish and Hot Boiled Sauerkraut Fish. If you are staying at a friend's house or airbnb, get the large and buy some meat from Lotte Market and use the leftovers as soup base. We can't wait for H Mart as well. One of my friends who has them as a client said, it's supposed to be the largest in the US, but I don't want to get too excited just yet until it's finished lol.

Old Yesterday, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Same! One of my friends worked there, that's how I knew the family was retiring and the son didn't want to keep it. Such a bummer! I can't find Tammy's on google search, what's the address if you don't mind?

As of right now, I've been pretty addicted to "Boiled Fish", I'd suggest really giving them a try next time you are in town, so good. I really like Green Pepper Sauerkraut Fish, Laotan Sauerkraut Fish and Hot Boiled Sauerkraut Fish. If you are staying at a friend's house or airbnb, get the large and buy some meat from Lotte Market and use the leftovers as soup base. We can't wait for H Mart as well. One of my friends who has them as a client said, it's supposed to be the largest in the US, but I don't want to get too excited just yet until it's finished lol.
(Taking all the notes…..Thank you!)

Tammy’s has a weird name on Google: Tammy’s Teriyaki House: 5600 W. Colonial Dr. 32808.

I’ve been reading about H Mart about to open in Orlando since 2020 when we lived in Sarasota. We used to shop at iFresh and New Golden Sparkling market which is next to Tammy’s. I hope they really are going to open soon.

Please enjoy Tammy’s for me.

Old Today, 08:31 AM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
I'm trying to be polite here and ignore your ignorance when it comes to authentic Asian restaurants. I bet my South American friends would probably say the same thing to you as well when comparing Orlando to New Orleans or Charleston.
I have no ignorance regarding authentic Asian restaurants. You on the other hand tend to have ignorance regarding the authenticity of entire restaurant scenes of a city world renowned (New Orleans) for its culinary offerings, which are NOT one-dimensional by any stretch. South America isn't part of my argument, you lamented that New Orleans (and less notably Charleston I concur) are one-dimensional minus any quality otherwise. I pointed out and still maintain that New Orleans is one of a couple of major SE Asian immigrant hubs and has been well before Orlando's entry. Suggesting New Orleans lacks a community of authentic/quality Vietnamese restaurants is a ridiculous argument, even for you.

By the way, Orlando's South American offerings aren't all that. When it approaches the quality and quantity of Brazilian Feijoadas found in metro NYC, Peruvian Lomo Saltados and Ecuadorian Ceviches found in metro DC or a Nicaraguan Carne Asada (not South American I realize) from Miami we can talk.

Having just a few varying ethnic options doesn't make for a global culinary hot spot.

Old Today, 08:34 AM

17,172 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I have no ignorance regarding authentic Asian restaurants. You on the other hand tend to have ignorance regarding the authenticity of entire restaurant scenes of a city world renowned (New Orleans) for its culinary offerings, which are NOT one-dimensional by any stretch. South America isn't part of my argument, you lamented that New Orleans (and less notably Charleston I concur) are one-dimensional minus any quality otherwise. I pointed out and still maintain that New Orleans is one of a couple of major SE Asian immigrant hubs and has been well before Orlando's entry. Suggesting New Orleans lacks a community of authentic/quality Vietnamese restaurants is a ridiculous argument, even for you.

By the way, Orlando's South American offerings aren't all that. When it approaches the quality and quantity of Brazilian Feijoadas found in metro NYC, Peruvian Lomo Saltados and Ecuadorian Ceviches found in metro DC or a Nicaraguan Carne Asada (not South American I realize) from Miami we can talk.

Having just a few varying ethnic options doesn't make for a global culinary hot spot.
We shall agree to disagree regarding Orlando's South American offerings, as it certainly is a top destination nationwide in this regard. To claim otherwise is blatantly wrong, regardless of your disdain for the place.

Orlando most certainly doesn't have "just a few varying ethnic options." Talk about a ridiculous assessment.

Old Today, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

The first thing I do when I land in a city is get on yelp and search for restaurants. Once again, I don't blame you for your ignorance, but I can at least confirm as an Asian... both cities (New Orleans and Charleston) HEAVILY lacks authentic restaurants from Asian cuisines, especially Charleston. My wife's sister was recently in New Orleans for a week training seminar (she is Chinese) and said she didn't find a single good Asian restaurant that whole week there. She is very savvy with Yelp, reddit, etc for finding local gems too. She enjoyed the Cajun food though. That was similar to our experience in New Orleans as well and just doing a quick search on Yelp, it looks like nothing has changed. I'm not Hispanic, but I don't see anywhere near the countless number of South American and Latin American food options that we have here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida