Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

27,212 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I’ve been to both and would very much disagree they even come close to Orlando. In New Orleans… sure good cajun food, but not much else. In Charleston, good Southern food, but not much else.

In Orlando, you can get great Venezuelan, Omakase, Korean, Vietnamese, Steak, Brazilian, Thai, Burgers, Italian, etc. You have a lot of variety of authentic restaurants in all pay grades from hole in the walls to food trucks to $$$ tasting menus.
If into stereotyping, one can suppose.

The reality is both have many excellent restaurants beyond the pigeon-holing.

New Orleans is widely known as a major entry point for many ethnicities due to its massive restaurant industry jobs and has probably the largest Southeast Asian expat community in the US which is primarily Vietnamese but also includes Laotians and Thai.

New Orleans has an abundance of French restaurants (Orlando has like what, one?). The city also has many other excellent options like Italian, Steakhouses, Japanese/Sushi, quality BBQ (unlike Orlando), many amazing Seafood options (unlike Orlando) and a plethora of James Beard winner operations.

I'm not as familiar with Charleston but a quick dive uncovered these "featured" international options I'm sure among others who opted to not pay to participate. https://www.charlestoncvb.com/plan-y...national~1356/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

21,929 posts, read 9,498,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
At the very least, V&A deserved to have one a long time ago.
I was there around 2007, I think. It didn't really wow me. Stubborn Seed in Miami wows me.

Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM

17,174 posts, read 15,382,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I was there around 2007, I think. It didn't really wow me. Stubborn Seed in Miami wows me.
That’s around the time I went. 2009 maybe.
Complete opposite impression from me. I got the 7 course with wine pairings.

I’ll check out Stubborn Seed next time I’m in Miami.

Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,848,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanGenious25 View Post
Hater, Orlando's foodie and dining scene is actually underrated, you'd know if you go to the actual city of Orlando neighborhoods.
Please go ahead and list your favorite institutions of higher cuisine in greater Orlando. I wanna see this........

Old Yesterday, 09:07 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
If into stereotyping, one can suppose.

The reality is both have many excellent restaurants beyond the pigeon-holing.

New Orleans is widely known as a major entry point for many ethnicities due to its massive restaurant industry jobs and has probably the largest Southeast Asian expat community in the US which is primarily Vietnamese but also includes Laotians and Thai.

New Orleans has an abundance of French restaurants (Orlando has like what, one?). The city also has many other excellent options like Italian, Steakhouses, Japanese/Sushi, quality BBQ (unlike Orlando), many amazing Seafood options (unlike Orlando) and a plethora of James Beard winner operations.

I'm not as familiar with Charleston but a quick dive uncovered these "featured" international options I'm sure among others who opted to not pay to participate. https://www.charlestoncvb.com/plan-y...national~1356/
I'm trying to be polite here and ignore your ignorance when it comes to authentic Asian restaurants. I bet my South American friends would probably say the same thing to you as well when comparing Orlando to New Orleans or Charleston.

Old Yesterday, 09:44 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Quote:
I'm trying to be polite here and ignore your ignorance when it comes to authentic Asian restaurants. I bet my South American friends would probably say the same thing to you as well when comparing Orlando to New Orleans or Charleston.
That’s a difficult statement to make unless you’ve actually visited Asia. I’ve been to a lot of well rated Asian places in Florida that just don’t measure up. It’s like “this is great sushi!” is more like “this is a great American attempt at sushi.” Does it really matter who makes the best dragon roll or volcano roll? And few people realize what’s really authentic and what isn’t.

That said, Orlando does have good Vietnamese!

Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM

634 posts, read 405,143 times
Chili’s, Applebees, TGI Friday’s and for those with a discerning palate, only Outback or Longhorn will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Please go ahead and list your favorite institutions of higher cuisine in greater Orlando. I wanna see this........

Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
That’s a difficult statement to make unless you’ve actually visited Asia. I’ve been to a lot of well rated Asian places in Florida that just don’t measure up. It’s like “this is great sushi!” is more like “this is a great American attempt at sushi.” Does it really matter who makes the best dragon roll or volcano roll? And few people realize what’s really authentic and what isn’t.

That said, Orlando does have good Vietnamese!
My wife is from Hong Kong and I'm Asian American and we travel to Asia often. Yes, most Asian restaurants in Florida suck and/or are not authentic. However, Orlando is the exception in Florida. We even have a good Chinese sauerkraut fish restaurant now. If you are looking for good sushi as in sashimi and nigiri, check out Edoboy or Norigami for starters.

But yes I completely agree... people will say this is great sushi and it's so Westernized and not authentic.

Last edited by bmw335xi; Yesterday at 10:17 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:13 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,289,196 times
Quote:
My wife is from Hong Kong and I'm Asian American and we travel to Asia often. Yes, most Asian restaurants in Florida suck and/or are not authentic. However, Orlando is the exception in Florida. We even have a good Chinese sauerkraut fish restaurant now. If you are looking for good sushi as in sashimi and nigiri, check out Edoboy or Norigami for starters.
Ha, I guess you’ve shared my frustration in that case! Thanks for the recommendations.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Ha, I guess you’ve shared my frustration in that case! Thanks for the recommendations.
No problem, if you're ever curious about other recs, feel free to ask anytime here or DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida