Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 09:54 AM

3,316 posts, read 2,132,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
No law shall prohibit, penalize, delay, or restrict abortion before viability or when necessary
to protect the patient’s health, as determined by the patient’s healthcare provider. This amendment does not
change the Legislature’s constitutional authority to require notification to a parent or guardian before a minor
has an abortion
My two issues with this language are:
  • I personally believe setting the elective threshold at the point of "viability" is not only too far along, but is also a game-able term (even when considering how viability is defined in extant FL law). Now, the first retort to this is "well that's your opinion" — and I concede that, though my opinion in this case is largely based on degree of fetal development rather than some kooky religious objection regarding the presence of a soul. For comparison by the way, this amendment, if passed, would be more liberal in its abortion permissiveness than literally every country in Europe.
  • "... or when necessary to protect the patient's health, as determined by the patient's healthcare provider" is a glaring loophole as well because it can mean anything the provider wants it to mean, and be applicable in theory more or less up until the point of birth. This sort of language is not wholly dissimilar from our current medical marijuana provision, which effectively allows doctors to issue MMJ cards to adults for no reason.
I won't vote for the abortion amendment primarily for the reasons mentioned above. That said, I would support an abortion amendment that was more moderate and less game-able, because I think the 6-week ban is just absurd.

I will be voting in favor of the recreational marijuana amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2024, 10:53 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
Both initiatives are being pushed by a group called Floridians Protecting Freedom. I've been searching but cannot find out who runs this operation. even though it's based in Miami, FL, and was organized in 2023.

State records show the registered agent's name for the company is Gloria Maggiolo of Miami, who's occupation is listed as a "financial concierge." Another name appearing in the records for this organization is Mone Holder, a well known Miami area democrat and activist.

I strongly suspect this amendment initiative isn't about getting legalized pot approved or making changes to the abortion laws as they currently stand. I suspect it has more to do with encouraging Democrats to get out and vote who may be planning to stay home this year rather than vote for Biden. (And, for the record, I am not affiliated with either party.)

Old 04-11-2024, 11:29 AM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Both initiatives are being pushed by a group called Floridians Protecting Freedom. I've been searching but cannot find out who runs this operation. even though it's based in Miami, FL, and was organized in 2023.

State records show the registered agent's name for the company is Gloria Maggiolo of Miami, who's occupation is listed as a "financial concierge." Another name appearing in the records for this organization is Mone Holder, a well known Miami area democrat and activist.

I strongly suspect this amendment initiative isn't about getting legalized pot approved or making changes to the abortion laws as they currently stand. I suspect it has more to do with encouraging Democrats to get out and vote who may be planning to stay home this year rather than vote for Biden. (And, for the record, I am not affiliated with either party.)
I went to their website. It's pretty clear it's a campaign, not a club or organization. It's a partnership of health care professionals, Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, individual citizens, women's groups, and over 200 local, statewide, and national groups/organizations all working together to create the Yes on 4 initiative.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:26 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I'll be supporting marijuana and pro-choice, while voting for Trump.
I will be supporting marijuana and I am not sure yet on the abortion issue. Need more info on what exactly viability means before I would vote for that. My premature son needed help with breathing. Would that have made him not viable? He is now 31 years old and very viable.

Edit - also voting for Trump for the 3rd time.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:46 PM

626 posts, read 400,285 times
Hey now, don’t let facts get in the way of a good story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I went to their website. It's pretty clear it's a campaign, not a club or organization. It's a partnership of health care professionals, Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, individual citizens, women's groups, and over 200 local, statewide, and national groups/organizations all working together to create the Yes on 4 initiative.

Old 04-11-2024, 02:48 PM

626 posts, read 400,285 times
Question for the MAGAs, DeSantis doesn’t want marijuana legalization in Florida does that sway your decision any? Would that be considered breaking against party lines?

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/desa...lt%20of%20odor.

Old 04-11-2024, 03:12 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Question for the MAGAs, DeSantis doesn’t want marijuana legalization in Florida does that sway your decision any? Would that be considered breaking against party lines?

You got your answers, you just aren't happy with them because it goes against your stereotypes and agenda lol.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:05 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:

Absolutely not. I am more interested in economic issues and illegal immigration.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:52 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
Quote:
Yeah a wild concept huh?

I give you links to factual studies regarding hate groups and Trump and you provide me a silly quote..talk about bringing a knife to a gunfight sheesh.

If Democrats are actually the racists, why aren't hate groups flocking to them like they do to the MAGA Republican Party?

Lots of lone wolves?

They're not joiners?

They don't believe their friends are racist?

They don't see themselves as racists?

They believe only "the others" can be racist?

They believe everyone who opposes Biden is a racist?

The others are the bad ones, not them?

I don't have a knife.

Are you in a gunfight? Uh Oh.

Where and how did you buy your gun?

Last edited by Lillie767; 04-11-2024 at 05:17 PM..

Old 04-11-2024, 05:07 PM

17,605 posts, read 6,894,659 times
Quote:
So when the rubber meets the road, which camp would you say harbors those who have the most racial animosity, Trump or Biden supporters?
It's not even close. Democrats have more racists by far. They support affirmative action, DEI, and race-based hiring and promotions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida