Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 07:51 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am not arguing with what your saying but it does matter when a student wants to apply elsewhere in the country.

With the mindset of the Florida Department of Education as stated by the other poster "Florida doesn't want to teach what the ACT test demands students to know" these kids are going to have problems trying to get their half baked education accepted for admissions.
I just checked out a sample CLT test. I used the critical thinking skills I was taught in MY public grade school education to evaluate the test itself, rather than answer the test questions.

The first seems like a reasonable passage from Agnes Grey, with some solid vocabulary choices and composition. The questions, however, were weak and leading. Subtle leads, not overt, but that definitely nudged the test-taker to making moralistic or value-based choices rather than literary ones.

The second was science, about the differences and similarities of octopuses and humans. You'd find a passage like this in an 8th or 9th grade essay about science, but you wouldn't find it in any actual scientific text. You'd find it in a writing class.

The third claimed to be philosophy/religion, and I assumed it would be ABOUT a philosophy or religion. But it wasn't. And that's what made the entire test dark and ominous. It was a Christian perception of human suffering. It spoke on the subject as though it were fact: "humans suffer because of evil" rather than the religious/philosophical approach to the subject "In Christian texts, there is such a thing as good and evil - and evil is directly responsible for the human suffering in those texts."

The fourth really shows its ugliness in full color: it's supposedly about History, and the Founding Documents. But instead of explaining the events leading up to these documents, it just quotes a passage from Aristotle and Ben Franklin, both basically expressing the same sentiment that appeared over the arches of the Nazi work camps: "Arbeit macht frei" (Work will set you free).

In short, the CLT test exists to test the effectiveness of indoctrination of high school students, to ensure that they will become obedient workers who fear god. That's not a criteria for getting into a university. That's a criteria for being accepted into a cult, or allowed to exist in a concentration camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 08:00 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Opportunity....

I graduated from a Florida school and went on to get an MBA from Georgia, start my own multi-national company (22 yrs ago), hold 2 U.S. patents, & create a comfortable living for many others.

Anecdotal, but it helps others to see why I hold the positive opinions I do about Florida's education system.

I only know 1 person from Virginia. He attended 2 yrs as an undergraduate in Virginia, then transferred to Florida to complete his BBA, then go onto to get his MBA at Florida.

I never took the ACT..I took the SAT, did well enough to get into a Florida University. Then, much later took the GMAT, & got my MBA at Georgia. I went on to become a top 2%'er. Semi-retired in my mid 50's....you? How did the Virginia ed system's opportunities open up your future? If you don't care the share, I understand...some prefer to stay private...I'm for full transparency.
Good for you but the US News Report placed the state at #46 for Opportunity. As you said you took the SAT which is also on the states hit list of things their going after.

I didn't grow up in Virginia and I opted for a career in the military which was fine for me. My kids both grew up in the state and were well prepared for college. One did their undergraduate degree out of state (they made me an offer I couldn't refuse) and then got their Masters in Accounting back here in Virginia while working for a top 5 firm. The second got their degree at a Virginia School and had a free ride for the last 2 years, today they also have their Masters in Business.

Old 11-16-2023, 08:06 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,080,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I just checked out a sample CLT test. I used the critical thinking skills I was taught in MY public grade school education to evaluate the test itself, rather than answer the test questions.

The first seems like a reasonable passage from Agnes Grey, with some solid vocabulary choices and composition. The questions, however, were weak and leading. Subtle leads, not overt, but that definitely nudged the test-taker to making moralistic or value-based choices rather than literary ones.

The second was science, about the differences and similarities of octopuses and humans. You'd find a passage like this in an 8th or 9th grade essay about science, but you wouldn't find it in any actual scientific text. You'd find it in a writing class.

The third claimed to be philosophy/religion, and I assumed it would be ABOUT a philosophy or religion. But it wasn't. And that's what made the entire test dark and ominous. It was a Christian perception of human suffering. It spoke on the subject as though it were fact: "humans suffer because of evil" rather than the religious/philosophical approach to the subject "In Christian texts, there is such a thing as good and evil - and evil is directly responsible for the human suffering in those texts."

The fourth really shows its ugliness in full color: it's supposedly about History, and the Founding Documents. But instead of explaining the events leading up to these documents, it just quotes a passage from Aristotle and Ben Franklin, both basically expressing the same sentiment that appeared over the arches of the Nazi work camps: "Arbeit macht frei" (Work will set you free).

In short, the CLT test exists to test the effectiveness of indoctrination of high school students, to ensure that they will become obedient workers who fear god. That's not a criteria for getting into a university. That's a criteria for being accepted into a cult, or allowed to exist in a concentration camp.
Thank you for an insightful review, it seems similar to the one in the link I posted https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...assic-learning .

Seems the Governors goal is a race to the bottom with this, Moms for Liberty and Prager U the future is not looking bright for Florida students.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:28 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
Quote:

Bottom of the 9th and we get a strong new contender for Post of the Year. Very eloquently said and precisely on target. Thank you. I regret that the system requires that I give some lesser posts upvotes before I can rep you again.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:19 AM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
Quote:
I just checked out a sample CLT test.
so did I....this one > https://app.cltexam.com/example-test

I saw nothing your asserting

Old 11-18-2023, 04:35 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
so did I....this one > https://app.cltexam.com/example-test

I saw nothing your asserting
Of course you didn't. You'd need solid critical thinking skills, and competency in literature, grammar, sentence structure, and reading comprehension.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:42 PM

18,430 posts, read 8,262,327 times
so you didn't read the header...huh?

the test your trying to rip apart....is all on reading comprehension....it's only one part of many tests

you don't have to agree or disagree with any of it.....just read and comprehend what "IT" says

1 Verbal Reasoning

Read each passage and carefully answer the corresponding questions.

The final two questions for each passage are analogy-based. Use your understanding of the passage and the relationships demonstrated within it to arrive at your answers.

Answers are based on the evidence given in a passage; no outside knowledge is required.

Every test question starts out > Based on the passage.....Which lines in the passage provide....In Paragraph 2.....The passage primarily suggests ...According to the passage,..

....this is just one part of the whole test......the reading comprehension part

Last edited by Corrie22; 11-18-2023 at 05:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: