Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 12:52 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,331,767 times

Advertisements

"I just want someone who's noble, has morals and ethics similar to my own and cares for America and it's people."

And you support Trump???? That's actually hilarious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 12:56 PM

455 posts, read 305,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTraveler View Post
"I just want someone who's noble, has morals and ethics similar to my own and cares for America and it's people."

And you support Trump???? That's actually hilarious!
So you prefer a moral politician who once he's bought he stays bought?

Old 11-04-2023, 07:48 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've become interested in how several officials, though prominent on the national scene, come off as generally unlikable by their associates. You'd think that liability was pretty crucial.

Ron DeSantis Is All In—on Creating an American Autocracy
DeSantis is not a backslapping politician. He has few social graces and no appetite for socializing, preferring, his staff claims, to spend his “non-office time” with family. As his one-way relationship with the legislature shows, he extracts favors but rarely returns them. “Most politicians, you gain respect from your colleagues and your peers by working with them, by not being a jerk, by having good conversations and good relationships,” says Fried, who now chairs Florida’s Democratic Party. “He cannot do that. So the only way that he’s going to be able to move his agenda is through fear and intimidation.”
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...tis-autocracy/
How stupid!

He can "move" his agenda by choosing an agenda that people like.

I love the way Andrea said it:

Quote:
People like him bc he does what is right. He’s not making deals and quid pro quos. The FL legislature does what they think he will agree with (bc otherwise it would be vetoed anyway), not a “favor” that needs to be returned. He does politics right IMO, which is exactly why I like him.

Old 11-04-2023, 07:59 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
The Wall Street Journal had a similar ‘DeSantis is unlikeable’ article today/yesterday. It was by Alex Leary, who’s covered Florida politics for a long time and who knows all the players.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:40 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Picking a presidential candidate based on charisma, likability, or appearance instead of policy makes no sense, yet many people fall for it. They should not care about the height of a candidate, yet the history of our presidents shows people will favor the tall candidate. The fact that DeSantis is polling so far behind Trump and the downward trajectory of the polling data when compared to candidates in previous election cycles (i.e. Cruz in 16 or Santorum in 12 ) is really concerning.

Tim Pool makes a strong case that the DeSantis campaign is being sabotaged internally (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXdvPsY92EY). The advice that he got on putting lifts in his boots, and the response on the Patrick Bet-David podcast is an embarrassment. Trump got many comments on the hair piece / hair transplant and he handled it well by joking around. Desantis already had to fire a campaign staffer for putting Nazi images in one of his ads, had to pivot away from the ridiculous Winston Churchill "we will fight the woke" speech, got little or no promotion for his book, and the list goes on. I don't recall the two previous second place candidates, Ted Cruz and Rick Santorum having to deal with this much negative attention resulting from stupid campaign mistakes.
So basically, DeSantis displays poor judgment in choosing the people he wants to represent him in public relations, social settings, campaign ads, and so on.

Why would anyone want someone like that to represent them in the most prominent position in the country? If he needs someone telling him to (or not to) put lifts in his shoes - then he needs a mommy - not a job in the White House.

Old 11-04-2023, 11:08 PM

1,292 posts, read 643,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've become interested in how several officials, though prominent on the national scene, come off as generally unlikable by their associates. You'd think that liability was pretty crucial.

Ron DeSantis Is All In—on Creating an American Autocracy
DeSantis is not a backslapping politician. He has few social graces and no appetite for socializing, preferring, his staff claims, to spend his “non-office time” with family. As his one-way relationship with the legislature shows, he extracts favors but rarely returns them. “Most politicians, you gain respect from your colleagues and your peers by working with them, by not being a jerk, by having good conversations and good relationships,” says Fried, who now chairs Florida’s Democratic Party. “He cannot do that. So the only way that he’s going to be able to move his agenda is through fear and intimidation.”
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...tis-autocracy/
The nerve of that guy preferring to spend his spare time with his family! This is intolerable..

Old 11-04-2023, 11:30 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,364,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
It's interesting that the OP wrote about DeSantis' unlikability but almost all of the replies this far have been about politics & ideology, ignoring the subject. (It does reflect on the accusations of cultlike thinking.)
False. All of the replies directly addressed the subject by saying the criticism is stupid. His likability is irrelevant to his chances of achieving a legislative agenda once he's in office. If you want to say he needs to be "likable" to get elected, you might be right, but that's a topic entirely different from the topic of the original post.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:42 AM

283 posts, read 288,971 times
I always found it amusing how people can claim that one political party somehow manages to represent all their beliefs. I'm probably about 70% Conservative, and 30% "I don't give a crap"

But the recent culture war nature of politics, especially on the Right side, I'm starting to find a little annoying and to be honest, deliberately distracting. Now these new "conservatives" we have moving over here to FL, they'll eat that rhetoric up all day. They're still in the honeymoon-phase of this, similar to how someone who just joined an exclusive club after a long initiation phase, they find everything fascinating and engaging.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:58 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
I always found it amusing how people can claim that one political party somehow manages to represent all their beliefs. I'm probably about 70% Conservative, and 30% "I don't give a crap"

But the recent culture war nature of politics, especially on the Right side, I'm starting to find a little annoying and to be honest, deliberately distracting. Now these new "conservatives" we have moving over here to FL, they'll eat that rhetoric up all day. They're still in the honeymoon-phase of this, similar to how someone who just joined an exclusive club after a long initiation phase, they find everything fascinating and engaging.
Then they discover that they have to fill in their own divots on the green, they get penalized if they're found not raking the sand traps after they hit a ball out of them, the "just water with lemon" is really nasty-tasting tap water and if they want decent tasting water they have to buy a small bottle of Perrier for $8. The pool is reserved for synchronized swimming every week - during the hours they really would prefer to dip in and relax. The entertainment is always the same three bands playing the same 30 tunes. The people who sit at their table are sloppy drunks but they pay more for membership so the manager won't toss them out. Oh yeah and that fine-looking tennis pro all the women want to boink (and who is eager to boink them in exchange for extra, PAID tennis lessons) has herpes.

Old 11-05-2023, 07:45 AM

25,704 posts, read 12,779,845 times
Amongst Floridians, DeSantis is quite likeable...& Floridians couldn't care less what others think about our Governor:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...but-not-biden/

A totally different topic is what voters outside Florida think of DeSantis as a Presidential candidate...obviously, people like Trump a lot better...but that's more a topic that belongs in the "politics" forum, & not so much here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida