Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2023, 07:38 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
read it all....the facts they didn't get flat out wrong....they twisted
Which is typical for a left-wing rag..........

I literally need a barf bag when I try reading the likes of Mother Jones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2023, 07:51 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I've become interested in how several officials, though prominent on the national scene, come off as generally unlikable by their associates. You'd think that liability was pretty crucial.

Ron DeSantis Is All In—on Creating an American Autocracy
DeSantis is not a backslapping politician. He has few social graces and no appetite for socializing, preferring, his staff claims, to spend his “non-office time” with family. As his one-way relationship with the legislature shows, he extracts favors but rarely returns them. “Most politicians, you gain respect from your colleagues and your peers by working with them, by not being a jerk, by having good conversations and good relationships,” says Fried, who now chairs Florida’s Democratic Party. “He cannot do that. So the only way that he’s going to be able to move his agenda is through fear and intimidation.”
https://www.motherjones.com/politics...tis-autocracy/
I disagree with Fried on this as I do with basically everything else she says. People like him bc he does what is right. He’s not making deals and quid pro quos. The FL legislature does what they think he will agree with (bc otherwise it would be vetoed anyway), not a “favor” that needs to be returned. He does politics right IMO, which is exactly why I like him.

Last edited by andrea3821; 11-04-2023 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: Typos

Old 11-04-2023, 07:54 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Most Floridians don't focus or obsess with how blue or red their state is. In fact, being solidly blue or red is a BAD thing. It's not brag-worthy, it's shameful. It means the politics of one party will always trump the politics of the other, and no one can do anything about it even if it turns out the politics were harmful to their state.

I don't care what color this state is. What I care about is bodily autonomy for women and their right to medical privacy. I care about children being taught literature, social sciences, ACTUAL history, and critical thinking. I care about people - including children - allowed to discuss their heritage and parentage without fear of "disobeying" a regulation. I care about the separation of Church and State. I care about free and fair elections, and the elimination of gerrymandering. I care about how this state has a surplus, but a forest filled with homeless people and sub-par medical care. I care about people STILL not getting a check from the insurance company for hurricanes that destroyed their homes two years ago, and the Governor helping those insurance companies make bank or leave for better scams in other states instead.

I am not a Democrat. Never was, never will be. I'm one of the people who voted for Ronald Reagan, back in the day. I think desantis has done a horrible job. For the past year, most of "his job" consisted of public relations stunts at taxpayer expense, and campaigning for a federal gig after he changed his own state's laws to give himself permission to remain on the taxpayer dime in Florida while he's out running for president everywhere else.
Blah blah blah that is off topic, but I’ll address your last point. He did not change the law alone. The legislature did. That’s apparently a favor supposed to be repaid according to Fried and Democrats. That is not how it works. The legislature changed the law bc they think he’s doing a good job and wanted to make it so he can continue that during his prez campaign. Big whoop. I would feel the same if it was a Dem doing it. No need to upset the state’s political structure if someone wants to seek national office.

Old 11-04-2023, 08:11 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I disagree with Fried on this as I do with basically everything else she says. People like him bc he does what is right. He’s not making deals and quid pro quos. The FL legislature does what they think he will agree with (bc otherwise it would be vetoed anyway), not a “favor” that needs to be returned. He does politics right IMO, which is exactly why I like him.
You are not alone in liking DeSantis in Florida. His approval rating amongst Floridians is so high, the media won't report on it...good luck trying to find any recent results...after he brought back the Floridians stuck in Israel.

All you'll find are hit pieces on how poorly he's doing in nationwide polls, & that is because Trump's so wildly popular, & the fake news is so biased.

DeSanitis leads Biden, but you won't find that in the fake lefty news either:

https://texaspolitics.utexas.edu/set...s-october-2023

If canyone can find another recent source (Oct-Nov '23) please share.

DeSantis rocks in FLA, but its not his time on the National stage, due to Trump. It has nothing to do w/ his likeability...his effectiveness is excellent in most Floridians minds eye, & that is what we most care about.

The national fake news has been cancelled here in FLA...ghosted.

Oh, & the Miami Herald and the Orlando Sun Sentinel (2 lib rags) called Gov DeSantis the best Gov ever on the environment...good luck finding those links now...they've been long wiped away.

Old 11-04-2023, 09:01 AM

11,782 posts, read 5,795,007 times
I think Florida is lucky to have DeSantis - he's done some great things. I had wished for a Trump / DeSantis ticket before he threw his hat in the ring - Trump for 4 and then DeSantis for 8. Who ever is advising him has done a pretty awful job in promoting him for Pres - yet he fails to fire them - that's his only downfall.

I don't care if they act presidential or have great personality - I just want someone with conviction - I just want someone who's noble, has morals and ethics similar to my own and cares for America and it's people.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:10 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
It's interesting that the OP wrote about DeSantis' unlikability but almost all of the replies this far have been about politics & ideology, ignoring the subject. (It does reflect on the accusations of cultlike thinking.)

DeSantis does come off as stiff & unlikeable, he's not the only one this has happened to in national races. The other one that immediately comes to mine is Al Gore who had all the charisma of an upended sofa when campaigning despite reports that when not running he seemed relaxed & humorous. Gerald Ford also had this public personality deficit despite his long experience.

Some people either can't project their real personality on the trail or, perhaps more depressing, that is their real self we see all locked up and unempathetic in public. (As an aside perhaps we lose qualified potential executives unjustly because of that & get "charmers" with less depth. But I fall into the group that thinks we need an engaged personality to negotiate with hostile groups in order to get things done internationally or domestically.)

But at this point DeSantis is DOA. The only Republicans that could beat Biden at this point are Trump or Haley.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:23 AM

5,989 posts, read 3,731,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
It's interesting that the OP wrote about DeSantis' unlikability but almost all of the replies this far have been about politics & ideology, ignoring the subject. (It does reflect on the accusations of cultlike thinking.)

DeSantis does come off as stiff & unlikeable, he's not the only one this has happened to in national races. The other one that immediately comes to mine is Al Gore who had all the charisma of an upended sofa when campaigning despite reports that when not running he seemed relaxed & humorous. Gerald Ford also had this public personality deficit despite his long experience.

Some people either can't project their real personality on the trail or, perhaps more depressing, that is their real self we see all locked up and unempathetic in public. (As an aside perhaps we lose qualified potential executives unjustly because of that & get "charmers" with less depth. But I fall into the group that thinks we need an engaged personality to negotiate with hostile groups in order to get things done internationally or domestically.)

But at this point DeSantis is DOA. The only Republicans that could beat Biden at this point are Trump or Haley.
I'll take competence and good policies over charisma and charm any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:02 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I think Florida is lucky to have DeSantis - he's done some great things. I had wished for a Trump / DeSantis ticket before he threw his hat in the ring - Trump for 4 and then DeSantis for 8. Who ever is advising him has done a pretty awful job in promoting him for Pres - yet he fails to fire them - that's his only downfall.

I don't care if they act presidential or have great personality - I just want someone with conviction - I just want someone who's noble, has morals and ethics similar to my own and cares for America and it's people.
I agree totally. This isn't High School, where popularity was 'uge. Most cool kids wound up driving beer trucks, or doing hair at a beauty salon anyways. The Millionaire was the kid people hardly knew.

When the leftist media can't attack a Republican candidate on his qualifications, or record, they attack him on personality/likeability...they'll always find something to attack opponents on...its in the Little Red Book they follow...rules for radicals.

If they're calling him unlikeable, its because they couldn't find anything factually & meaningfully negative. In a way, its a compliment.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:04 PM

407 posts, read 388,825 times
Picking a presidential candidate based on charisma, likability, or appearance instead of policy makes no sense, yet many people fall for it. They should not care about the height of a candidate, yet the history of our presidents shows people will favor the tall candidate. The fact that DeSantis is polling so far behind Trump and the downward trajectory of the polling data when compared to candidates in previous election cycles (i.e. Cruz in 16 or Santorum in 12 ) is really concerning.

Tim Pool makes a strong case that the DeSantis campaign is being sabotaged internally (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXdvPsY92EY). The advice that he got on putting lifts in his boots, and the response on the Patrick Bet-David podcast is an embarrassment. Trump got many comments on the hair piece / hair transplant and he handled it well by joking around. Desantis already had to fire a campaign staffer for putting Nazi images in one of his ads, had to pivot away from the ridiculous Winston Churchill "we will fight the woke" speech, got little or no promotion for his book, and the list goes on. I don't recall the two previous second place candidates, Ted Cruz and Rick Santorum having to deal with this much negative attention resulting from stupid campaign mistakes.

Old 11-04-2023, 12:18 PM

455 posts, read 306,996 times
Not a Floridian, but since he's running for national office, I do have a dog in this fight.

President Trump and Governor DeSantis are both heavy weight contenders in a flyweight division. They outclass everyone else in the running because of their policies and performance, not their personalities.

I don't vote for the most entertaining or who has the best suit or nicest hair, I vote for the one that actually performs in the job.

I'd vote for either one in November or Nikki Hayley if she wins the primaries.

The Republicans have too many qualified people to run at once, as opposed to the dems that have nothing to offer.

The primaries are going to be bloody with the MSM doing everything they can to cut support for the viable candidates in support of China Xoe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida