Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 12:56 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Why is it mostly the northeast now? Used to be more of them from the upper south and lower midwest and midwest in the past.

Is it because of the higher cost? Northeast and Chicago seem to have the most purchasing power. Further south from you that's what it seems now. Lots of northeast, lots. When I lived in Naples from 1991 to 2002 there was a lot more midwest than there is now.

You're right about age. When I lived in Naples in the 90s it was older folks, BUT we still had a lot of younger people there too. Now when I'm in Collier County seeing my family it seems WAY older. Being 39 I feel out of place a lot there.

Seems most in my high school class of 2002 has moved out of Southwest Florida. Most out of Florida for their career or they moved to the metro areas of FL like Orlando or Tampa.

When I moved back to Southwest FL in 2015 a lot of people looked at me funny why I'd move to here out of all places in FL lol.

The only thing I don't like many of them are "country club" Republicans. Btw that's a term Rush Limbaugh used. Golf, businessman type guy wears the polo, tucked in shirt. They vote Republican but they're not the type of Republicans you'd see in rural Missouri, Texas, Tennessee, or Idaho for example that are far right, open gun carrying and religion, Sarah Palin type.

Vern Buchanan is a great example of one of them moderates. Someone like Lauren Boebert would have a hard time running in a moderate area like his district. I noticed his district Biden did a bit better in 2020 and Trump was down a point from 2016 there despite Trump did a tad better in FL in 2020. Hmm.
There actually are “country club republicans” in rural texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2023, 02:51 PM

119 posts, read 152,417 times
How do you See SW Florida in all this? Lee, Collier etc.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:14 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
As of the 2020 Census, median age in:

Dade = 40.1

Broward = 40.8

Palm Beach = 45

USA = 38

As I posted, those moving to FLA skew older than the USA median, due to so many retirees.

I was speaking statewide, not just SEC FLA...although even SE FLA is older than the median USA.

Immigrants also push the median age downward, and there are more of them in SE Florida than the rest of the state.

Middle class retirees do not move to SE FLA as much due to cost of living (housing), they move elsewhere in FLA...The Villages for instance.

SW FLA is much older than SE FLA, and cheaper to live...for now, but its trending upward rapidly.
Going to say the same thing about immigration too! Hispanics and Haitians in SEFL.

We have them too in places like Lee and Collier counties. A lot of them work construction or out in the fields doing manual labor or other service jobs. If we didn't have the hispanics here out median age in SWFL would be a few years older in Collier and Lee counties which is already hard to imagine it being older.

But everyone thinks of Broward, Palm Beach and Dade counties as all these multi millionairs and billionaires. You're just seeing a percentage of areas in the media that are uber rich. many sections of Broward and Dade county have borderline slum areas.

Miami Gardens is basically a supersized East St. Louis. Total sh*thole. I would never go around there unless I could legally open carry my AR15s which in FL I can't! One of the worst places in Florida, yet it's just under 5 miles from Miami Beach!

Miami Dade County would be a very old median age county if it didn't have the immigration factor.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
How do you See SW Florida in all this? Lee, Collier etc.
You mean age wise? Very old! Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee, Collier Counties is snowbird and retired central.

Collier County is rich old people, there are immigrants there though in places like Golden Gate, East Naples, and Immoklee especially.

Lee COunty also in places like Dunbar and Lehigh.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:27 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Median age in Orange County is 35.3

Old 10-13-2023, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I moved from St. Louis, MO to Tampa long ago, due to my own transfer request.

I didn't pick Tampa specifically, I just requested "anywhere in Florida", & there was an opening in Tampa.

I had 2 good jobs in Tampa for Fortune 500's, & those jobs propelled me onto bigger, and better things.

I enjoyed my time in Tampa/St. Pete. I found it affordable, & close enough to get to the beaches of Pinellas County.

I could have done much worse.

Some people move to FLA by choice, others not so much. They move for jobs, to be near family, or even attend College (like I did once).

All kinds of people move here from all kinds of places, so its hard to place them into narrow demographics.

Florida gets a disproportionate amount of retirees, immigrants, & college students who establish residency.

We have lots of large Universities that attract Thousands/yr.. Florida, Florida State, Central Florida, Univ of Miami, FAU, FLA International, Univ of South Florida, Nova, & many Community colleges.

I came here from St. Louis to attend FAU, & after 1 year, I established Florida residency.

I moved to Florida Three times, so I'm an expert in the field
I'm a Stl native! Was born there, lived there twice. What part of St. Louis? I lived in South County, right by the South County mall.

Tampa area has a lot of native Stl people. I suspect it "could" be because they had a brewery there, AB by Busch Gardens. My grandfather worked for AB back in the 50s and was offered a job in Florida when they opened it. He declined because my grandmother was afraid there would be snakes and gators lol. Wouldn't shock me if that is a big reason why today you see people with Stl ties there due to families from Stl moving there back in the 50s and 60s.

back in Dec 2001 I went to a Blues game in Tampa. I'd say a good 60 to 65 percent of the crowd was Blues fans. When the Cards played interleague or Spring Training in St. Pete a few times It was cards fans way outnumbering Rays. I didn't feel out of place or uncomfortable wearing my Pronger jersey at all.

That Brewery closed years back though, I think around when Inbev bought them. Inbev sucks btw. Gussie Busch would NEVER have allowed something like this whole transgender debacle to take place at AB. He must be horrified looking down from above of what has gone on. The kids just wanted the money and now a bunch of wokes from outside the US have ran a great American brand into the ground.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:17 PM

67 posts, read 45,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
And they will complain and ask to see the manager if everything is not perfect, lol.

As for the demographics of people moving out of Florida: blacks, LGBT, Democrats, possibly some Hispanics as well.
Why would Hispanics want to move out of Florida?

They are a significant community there and Miami is a Hispanic majority and majority Spanish speaking city.

I would have thought that they feel very much at home in Florida.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:19 PM

17,116 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight999 View Post
Why would Hispanics want to move out of Florida?

They are a significant community there and Miami is a Hispanic majority and majority Spanish speaking city.

I would have thought that they feel very much at home in Florida.
The post you responded to was quite outlandish.

Old 10-13-2023, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
The post you responded to was quite outlandish.
Yea, here in SWFL many areas have a lot of Mexicans. Weather is similar to Mexico.

Old 10-14-2023, 06:10 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
As of the 2020 Census, median age in:

Dade = 40.1

Broward = 40.8

Palm Beach = 45

USA = 38

As I posted, those moving to FLA skew older than the USA median, due to so many retirees.

I was speaking statewide, not just SEC FLA...although even SE FLA is older than the median USA.

Immigrants also push the median age downward, and there are more of them in SE Florida than the rest of the state.

Middle class retirees do not move to SE FLA as much due to cost of living (housing), they move elsewhere in FLA...The Villages for instance.

SW FLA is much older than SE FLA, and cheaper to live...for now, but its trending upward rapidly.
38 vs 40 isn’t a big difference. I can tell you firsthand, SE FL is experiencing a massive influx of young, affluent professionals.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/08/27/...yre-going.html

From the article: “Florida is the No. 1 state bringing in and keeping the young and rich, according to a recent analysis from SmartAsset, which ranked states based on net migration.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida