Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2023, 03:33 PM

579 posts, read 432,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp54321 View Post
What are the general demographics of the people moving into Florida right now. Age wise? What part of country are they coming from?
I know a couple who just moved to Florida. They're in their 50s, from the Midwest. Politically - centrist/moderate Democrat, I'd say. They're big Disney fans (or at least she is).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2023, 06:27 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Skew older than median USA, since many move to FLA to retire, or semi-retire.

Disproportionately more from the Northeastern states (NY,NJ), but also GA,PA,OH,MI,IL,MN, & CA.

Mostly Caucasian.

More affluent than median USA family since so many retirees, & due to cost of living here.

More Republicans than Democrats.

Old 10-12-2023, 06:29 PM

1,301 posts, read 649,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Disproportionately more from the Northeastern states (NY,NJ), but also GA,PA,OH,MI,IL,MN, & CA.

Mostly Caucasian.

More affluent than median USA family since so many retirees, & due to cost of living here.

Me likey!

Old 10-12-2023, 07:51 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Here in SE Florida, lots of young, affluent professionals in their 20s and 30s that work from home. The closer you get to Palm Beach County, the more families. Most are from the Northeast but there have been quite a few from California etc.

It’s not elderly, anymore. They can’t afford it here.

Old 10-12-2023, 09:53 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
white, republican, mostly from the midwest (MO IL IN OH etc), 50s+, love to wear flip flops, have spent way too much time in the sun, think a night out at Outback is a gourmet experience. yeah, that about covers it.
Depends on the area. Here in SWFL seems mostly from the northeast. Years ago the upper south and midwest outnumbered them. Now it seems Chicago and the northeast. The areas that make more $$$

Old 10-12-2023, 09:59 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

Mostly Caucasian.

Why is it mostly the northeast now? Used to be more of them from the upper south and lower midwest and midwest in the past.

Is it because of the higher cost? Northeast and Chicago seem to have the most purchasing power. Further south from you that's what it seems now. Lots of northeast, lots. When I lived in Naples from 1991 to 2002 there was a lot more midwest than there is now.

You're right about age. When I lived in Naples in the 90s it was older folks, BUT we still had a lot of younger people there too. Now when I'm in Collier County seeing my family it seems WAY older. Being 39 I feel out of place a lot there.

Seems most in my high school class of 2002 has moved out of Southwest Florida. Most out of Florida for their career or they moved to the metro areas of FL like Orlando or Tampa.

When I moved back to Southwest FL in 2015 a lot of people looked at me funny why I'd move to here out of all places in FL lol.

The only thing I don't like many of them are "country club" Republicans. Btw that's a term Rush Limbaugh used. Golf, businessman type guy wears the polo, tucked in shirt. They vote Republican but they're not the type of Republicans you'd see in rural Missouri, Texas, Tennessee, or Idaho for example that are far right, open gun carrying and religion, Sarah Palin type.

Vern Buchanan is a great example of one of them moderates. Someone like Lauren Boebert would have a hard time running in a moderate area like his district. I noticed his district Biden did a bit better in 2020 and Trump was down a point from 2016 there despite Trump did a tad better in FL in 2020. Hmm.

Last edited by MOforthewin; 10-12-2023 at 10:09 PM..

Old 10-12-2023, 11:48 PM

711 posts, read 683,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post

The only thing I don't like many of them are "country club" Republicans. Btw that's a term Rush Limbaugh used. Golf, businessman type guy wears the polo, tucked in shirt. They vote Republican but they're not the type of Republicans you'd see in rural Missouri, Texas, Tennessee, or Idaho for example that are far right, open gun carrying and religion, Sarah Palin type.

Vern Buchanan is a great example of one of them moderates. Someone like Lauren Boebert would have a hard time running in a moderate area like his district. I noticed his district Biden did a bit better in 2020 and Trump was down a point from 2016 there despite Trump did a tad better in FL in 2020. Hmm.
Can we PLEASE bring back that type of Republican? The current crop has no interest in governing while trying to go toe-to-toe with Liberals on social issues that they're on the wrong side of history on. A country club Republican would not waste time and money going after the state's largest employer and taxpayer the way DeSantis has with Disney. He's going to lose that battle while costing taxpayers millions.

Old 10-13-2023, 04:03 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Those are tourists/vacationers, not those that are moving. Very few move with just a suitcase.
Obviously I made that comment because I heard them talking about moving here or having already moved here. Not tourists. Just go stand at the baggage carousel for Flight 1234 from [insert name of Midwest town here] and listen to the conversations. "Oh I just moved here last year; I love it!"

Last edited by sinatras; 10-13-2023 at 04:21 AM..

Old 10-13-2023, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
I know a couple who just moved to Florida. They're in their 50s, from the Midwest. Politically - centrist/moderate Democrat, I'd say. They're big Disney fans (or at least she is).

Oh yes! How could I forget about the unnatural obsession with Disney! That's another attribute of the new Florida resident. Disney adult, as the Zoomers call them.

Also doesn't take them long to outfit their wardrobe with "Salt Life" tank tops!

Last edited by sinatras; 10-13-2023 at 04:22 AM..

Old 10-13-2023, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
When I lived in Orlando years ago, I would get used to going to a restaurant I really enjoyed, then it would close some months later, that never happened in NY. I used to love The European Cafe in Ormond Beach, I think it's still open after all these years.
We have a European Cafe in Tampa. Have had it for several years. Just recently closed.......owners couldn't take the heat or cost of living any more in FL and are moving to VA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida