Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 09:10 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
There's also almost another million PEOPLE in Florida now. So that 850,000 registration swing is - not accurate.

But that's what happens when you use Breitbart as a source.

Now let's use the official source: https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/...y-affiliation/

I'm not using a calculator but with an eyeball count:

There are around 213,000 fewer active registered voters in Florida now than there were 2 years ago.
There are 32,000 more UNaffiliated voters now, than 2 years ago.
There are 38,500 more minor party voters now, than 2 years ago.
There are 404,500 fewer Democrats now than 2 years ago.
There are 120,000 more Republicans now than 2 years ago.

So this says - there are more people whose status as "active registered voters" have ceased to exist - whether because they moved, died, were incarcerated, or were erroneously removed from the rolls, than there was an increase in Republican voters. Almost 80% more voters are no longer voters, compared to the increase in Republicans.

There almost double that in the reduction of Democrats. So sure - the Democrats are having a bad year with regards to numbers. But the Republicans aren't gaining much, comparatively.
I believe the Breitbart article frame of reference was from 2018 to now. In that case the math works out to 850K based upon your source.

In 2018, when Governor DeSantis took over, there were 250,000 more Democrats than Republicans in Florida,” he said, noting that voter-registration-wise, “we’ve always been a Democrat state.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 09:20 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,537,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So you are confirming that you left Florida primarily because people with conservative political views were moving there. That is, in fact, one of the main reasons why many people are moving TO Florida... because they like the conservative views of low taxes and less governmental interference in people's lives. In other words, they prefer greater individual freedom and less governmental mandates (to an extent).

If you wish to live in a state with high taxes and high levels of governmental control of your life, then there are plenty of liberal/progressive states that would welcome you to help replace the freedom-loving people who are leaving their state. Sounds like a win-win deal to me. The only problem is that I'm not sure that Florida is big enough to handle all the people who are disenchanted with their current leftist/progressive state of residence.
It will be interesting to see what impact conservative migration to Florida has on the states that people left.

After Florida results closed overwhelmingly Republican election night 2022, hinting at a potential Red Wave, there was a "fizzle" the rest of election night. How much of that was due to conservatives relocating to Florida (swinging the state further right) but also removing their conservative votes from the states they left.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:02 AM

84 posts, read 94,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
....how much of it is because of people changing their affiliation
5% max.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:03 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
“In November of 2021, for the first time ever, our state became a Republican state. And then today, there’s over 600,000 more Republicans than Democrats in the state of Florida. So it’s been an 850,000 registration swing towards the Republican side"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ng-republican/
I'm not surprised given Florida's deft handling of Covid. Also I have not heard of any mass incompetence in dealing with hurricanes similar to that of Louisiana with Katrine or New York/New Jersey with Irene and Ida, along with three snow/rain Nor'easters in March 2018.

Old 10-04-2023, 09:43 AM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I'm not surprised given Florida's deft handling of Covid. Also I have not heard of any mass incompetence in dealing with hurricanes similar to that of Louisiana with Katrine or New York/New Jersey with Irene and Ida, along with three snow/rain Nor'easters in March 2018.
If you haven't heard of any of this mass incompetence, it's because you've chosen not to acknowledge actual news and information coming your way.

Due to the incompetence of the State of Florida with regards to insurance deregulation, there are hundreds of homeowners who are not able to live in their homes, they can't pay for repairs or replacements, and their temporary housing allotments are no longer available.

Due to the incompetence of the State of Florida and municipal zoning regulatory groups, trailer parks can still be placed close to the shorelines, and developers are still allowed to build in high-risk areas.

The fact that these hurricanes come to the state is not "the thing." It's the fact that there is SO much incompetence involving the building, insurance, and other regulatory matters that's the THING. The lack of higher standards, more appropriately regulated building rules, placement of mobile homes, is what creates the magnitude of disasters and displacement of hundreds of citizens.

You can say "yeah people are dumb for putting a double-wide so close to the shore." But you have to also say "yeah the government is dumb for allowing double-wides so close to the shore, thus implying to potential buyers that it's safe to do so."

Old 10-04-2023, 11:25 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Then what are the main reasons that cause you to be a Republican? Sounds like you may be a RINO.
I’ve no interest in being a cult member.

It’s hysterical how so many assume that if someone despises Desantis and trump, that they love Biden

Old 10-04-2023, 11:36 AM

3,183 posts, read 1,654,323 times
The president doesn't really change the narrative of the country. You have so many sanctuary cities even with Trump it doesn't change the problems of these cities. Trump actually makes it worse by going to battle against sanctuary states and now Biden is offering no help towards them.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:26 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
The president doesn't really change the narrative of the country. You have so many sanctuary cities even with Trump it doesn't change the problems of these cities. Trump actually makes it worse by going to battle against sanctuary states and now Biden is offering no help towards them.
Desantis and the Texas governor Abbott also share a significant burden of blame, for intentionally, smugly, arrogantly, and gleefully bussing immigrants from the Texas border to sanctuary cities. Florida is worse, in my opinion, because we don't even share a border with Texas. Desantis used taxpayer revenue to do this, very clearly as an immature "neener neener" fart-joke type of stunt simply because he could, and no one was willing to stop him.

Perhaps if the ENTIRE COUNTRY was a sanctuary country, which is why it exists AS a country in the first place, we wouldn't have these problems at all.

Unless you're a Native American, or of Mexican descent whose descendants lived in Texas before it became a state - then you have no claim over North America at all. America was founded by people who were escaping their home country in search of a better life, better opportunity, better environment, and freedom from the religious tyranny they came from.

And because of that whole "Texas used to be Mexico" thing - I'll say that Mexicans have more of a claim on this country than the rest of us do.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:29 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Perhaps if the ENTIRE COUNTRY was a sanctuary country, which is why it exists AS a country in the first place, we wouldn't have these problems at all.
It would be great if states like mine, and on my dime, didn't nullify U.S. law.

Old 10-04-2023, 12:47 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
I’ve no interest in being a cult member.

It’s hysterical how so many assume that if someone despises Desantis and trump, that they love Biden
If you are a Republican and you dislike DeSantis and Trump, then please give us a few examples of Republicans you DO like and have voted for. Also, how about telling us who you voted for in the Trump vs Biden election about 2 or 3 years ago since you claim to not like either of them.

You still haven't explained why you choose to be a Republican. If you don't like either Trump or DeSantis, then why are you a registered Republican?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida