Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 09:40 AM

84 posts, read 94,553 times

Advertisements

I've been monitoring the party registration numbers in FL and also understand that FL is a "dynamic" state (to quote DeSantis.) Not a static population. Very transient. Always a lot of people moving in and a lot of people moving out.

It's obvious to me as I've watched the voter rolls and the incoming/outgoing numbers that democrats have been fleeing the state and republican/maga types have been flocking to FL.

Anyone who lived in FL for a while before 2020 / covid / donald trump making FL his official residence knows that before all of that Americans were not really moving to FL or out of FL for political reasons. It started with trump-mecca and covi-spreader freedumb. It continued with desantis' look-at-me stunts designed to entertain GOP presidential primary voters. Florida's reputation changed rapidly from a true purple state that leaned libertarian to a deep red maga state. That reputation clearly attracts certain people and repels others, whereas the previous long-standing reputation attracted and included everyone who just liked Florida's winter climate.

We left FL in 2021 because of the rapid population change we saw taking place. Not the population increase itself, but the type of people that were piling into the state and their reasons for moving there. It's very possible a lot of the magas that moved in will vacate within 5-10 years, and of course we are just now getting into the great boomer die-off, so there is some hope of FL returning to swing state status eventually. But for now... yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2023, 10:09 AM

6,025 posts, read 3,739,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer81 View Post
I've been monitoring the party registration numbers in FL and also understand that FL is a "dynamic" state (to quote DeSantis.) Not a static population. Very transient. Always a lot of people moving in and a lot of people moving out.

It's obvious to me as I've watched the voter rolls and the incoming/outgoing numbers that democrats have been fleeing the state and republican/maga types have been flocking to FL.

Anyone who lived in FL for a while before 2020 / covid / donald trump making FL his official residence knows that before all of that Americans were not really moving to FL or out of FL for political reasons. It started with trump-mecca and covi-spreader freedumb. It continued with desantis' look-at-me stunts designed to entertain GOP presidential primary voters. Florida's reputation changed rapidly from a true purple state that leaned libertarian to a deep red maga state. That reputation clearly attracts certain people and repels others, whereas the previous long-standing reputation attracted and included everyone who just liked Florida's winter climate.

We left FL in 2021 because of the rapid population change we saw taking place. Not the population increase itself, but the type of people that were piling into the state and their reasons for moving there. It's very possible a lot of the magas that moved in will vacate within 5-10 years, and of course we are just now getting into the great boomer die-off, so there is some hope of FL returning to swing state status eventually. But for now... yikes.
So you are confirming that you left Florida primarily because people with conservative political views were moving there. That is, in fact, one of the main reasons why many people are moving TO Florida... because they like the conservative views of low taxes and less governmental interference in people's lives. In other words, they prefer greater individual freedom and less governmental mandates (to an extent).

If you wish to live in a state with high taxes and high levels of governmental control of your life, then there are plenty of liberal/progressive states that would welcome you to help replace the freedom-loving people who are leaving their state. Sounds like a win-win deal to me. The only problem is that I'm not sure that Florida is big enough to handle all the people who are disenchanted with their current leftist/progressive state of residence.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:11 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
There's also almost another million PEOPLE in Florida now. So that 850,000 registration swing is - not accurate.

But that's what happens when you use Breitbart as a source.

Now let's use the official source: https://dos.myflorida.com/elections/...y-affiliation/

I'm not using a calculator but with an eyeball count:

There are around 213,000 fewer active registered voters in Florida now than there were 2 years ago.
There are 32,000 more UNaffiliated voters now, than 2 years ago.
There are 38,500 more minor party voters now, than 2 years ago.
There are 404,500 fewer Democrats now than 2 years ago.
There are 120,000 more Republicans now than 2 years ago.

So this says - there are more people whose status as "active registered voters" have ceased to exist - whether because they moved, died, were incarcerated, or were erroneously removed from the rolls, than there was an increase in Republican voters. Almost 80% more voters are no longer voters, compared to the increase in Republicans.

There almost double that in the reduction of Democrats. So sure - the Democrats are having a bad year with regards to numbers. But the Republicans aren't gaining much, comparatively.
Plenty of voters in FL register as Independents so they can choose which primary to vote in
I did that
It is the Independents to watch

Old 10-03-2023, 10:13 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,346,301 times
Quote:

Florida was growing long before that! I moved to Naples in 1991 and the mid 90s it started to explode.

The irony is when look at Mar a Lago and when President Trump had a lot of supporters there earlier this year for example when he was in Miami to be indicted when you saw the supporters outside there to greet him many didn't look like they were from around the area. I mean certainly look out of place in a super wealthy area like West Palm Beach. I mean their social economic status certainly doesn't look like South Florida or Naples for example. They look like they would fit in more in a place like Northern Florida, Missouri, Kansas, or Alabama.

Florida still isn't deep Republican though when compared to a state like my home state of Missouri for example. Trump the last election still didn't win Florida by a lot of percentage points. Missouri he trounced both times. Trump hardly even has to bother campaigning in Missouri because it's not even close and is a waste of resources to do so.

States like Missouri, Alabama, Tennessee, Idaho, Utah, etc. are deep red. Even now Florida just doesn't fit that.

Even then, some of the state senators and assembly members in South FL are RINOS, would be democrats in other states. Like that Miami Mayor lol. Calls himself a Republican but is a liberal really. Luckily he won't go anywhere in the presidential race. He's worse that Mitt Romney lol and would lose worse than McCain.

Old 10-03-2023, 10:13 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,895,840 times
Quote:

Remember FL had more seniors die during CoVid even AFTER vaxs were available than any other state
DeSantis at work

Old 10-03-2023, 10:27 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
this is particularly noteworthy because until 2021...Florida had never been a republican majority state

...for 176 years Florida was a democrat state

“In 2018, when Governor DeSantis took over, there were 250,000 more Democrats than Republicans in Florida”

“In November of 2021, for the first time ever, our state became a Republican state. And then today, there’s over 600,000 more Republicans than Democrats in the state of Florida. So it’s been an 850,000 registration swing towards the Republican side"

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...ng-republican/
I seem to switch my vote between R and D every election. I voted for Biden last election and the Trump the election before that, and I will be one of these voters that switch Republican this election. While I think Republicans have a lot of issues, Democrats have gone so far extreme. I'll take Florida politics over California any day of the week.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:06 AM

493 posts, read 520,179 times
Everyone wants to get a say in the Republican primary.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I seem to switch my vote between R and D every election. I voted for Biden last election and the Trump the election before that, and I will be one of these voters that switch Republican this election. While I think Republicans have a lot of issues, Democrats have gone so far extreme. I'll take Florida politics over California any day of the week.
Me too. Trump then Biden. I switched to Republican in 2016 to vote for Trump. I switched to Democrat in 2020 to vote for Biden. I just switched back to Republican.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
So you are confirming that you left Florida primarily because people with conservative political views were moving there. That is, in fact, one of the main reasons why many people are moving TO Florida... because they like the conservative views of low taxes and less governmental interference in people's lives. In other words, they prefer greater individual freedom and less governmental mandates (to an extent).

If you wish to live in a state with high taxes and high levels of governmental control of your life, then there are plenty of liberal/progressive states that would welcome you to help replace the freedom-loving people who are leaving their state. Sounds like a win-win deal to me. The only problem is that I'm not sure that Florida is big enough to handle all the people who are disenchanted with their current leftist/progressive state of residence.
Very different type of conservatives. White collar (Bush) vs Blue collar (Trump) conservatives.

Old 10-03-2023, 11:56 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Me too. Trump then Biden. I switched to Republican in 2016 to vote for Trump. I switched to Democrat in 2020 to vote for Biden. I just switched back to Republican.
My twin! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida