Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 08:07 PM

2,342 posts, read 2,291,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
We have options.
I do most of my grocery shopping at Sprouts.

Publix is convenient, and more than decent as a large chain grocer though. It’s definitely one of the tops that I have seen in the country.
I go to Sprouts a lot too. Wild Fork is the place to go for meat though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 08:16 PM

635 posts, read 405,926 times
Do facts expire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Your link is more than three years old.

Old 08-19-2023, 06:55 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Just because Publix has many stores, doesn't men they have a monopoly. In my small county (by FL standards) we have over 10 chain grocers and well over 30 different grocers. 3 or 4 family own large grocery stores as well. Heck ... even rural/farm area has an IGA and a family owned large grocery store... not to mention the small ethic stores.

There is NO monopoly.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:33 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
our WinnDixie is far superior to our brand new Publix....price and quality....I'm not a Publix fan at all
Our local Winn Dixie is pretty nice, as are the other two Winn Dixies I know of in Charlotte county. The Winn Dixies I knew of in Miami, not so much. The Publix around us are ok, IMO probably on the par with our Winn Dixies. Two long time Winn Dixie employees, both managers, from our local Winn Dixie recently retired, saying they'd had enough. They mentioned the Winn Dixies being bought out-again, this before any news hit publicly about the Aldi buyout.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Just because Publix has many stores, doesn't men they have a monopoly. In my small county (by FL standards) we have over 10 chain grocers and well over 30 different grocers. 3 or 4 family own large grocery stores as well. Heck ... even rural/farm area has an IGA and a family owned large grocery store... not to mention the small ethic stores.

There is NO monopoly.
This ^^^. I live in Lakeland, home to Publix headquarters; and yes we have many stores, really nice Publix stores. But we also have Winn Dixie, Harvey's, Food Universe, Aldi, Fancy Fruit, Sav a Lot. Superchoice and an abundance of small ethnic stores. And I would ask how many "chain" groceries are needed anyway? Publix is my go-to for the big supermarket, I have no need for others.

My main shopping is done through Publix and ALDI; and can get specialty items at the other above places mentioned. I will add that I moved here from Sarasota; a town that has every store you can imagine like Whole Foods (2) Trader Joes, Sprouts, Fresh Market, and many more; yet I always shopped at...you guessed it...Publix and ALDI.

Old 08-19-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
This ^^^. I live in Lakeland, home to Publix headquarters; and yes we have many stores, really nice Publix stores. But we also have Winn Dixie, Harvey's, Food Universe, Aldi, Fancy Fruit, Sav a Lot. Superchoice and an abundance of small ethnic stores. And I would ask how many "chain" groceries are needed anyway? Publix is my go-to for the big supermarket, I have no need for others.

My main shopping is done through Publix and ALDI; and can get specialty items at the other above places mentioned. I will add that I moved here from Sarasota; a town that has every store you can imagine like Whole Foods (2) Trader Joes, Sprouts, Fresh Market, and many more; yet I always shopped at...you guessed it...Publix and ALDI.
Food and gasoline... lot's of choices.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:21 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,913,806 times
Aldi is a private company, so no financial information is available. Its the 8th largest company in the world by revenue. You can be sure they will turn around Winn-Dixie, since they have the financial wherewithal to do so. There is a super nice WD near me and one of their new remodeled flagship stores, but it seems kind of sad looking. I believe Aldi will identify the good stores going forward and make them more attractive both price, selection and atmosphere wise. Look what Amazon did to Whole Foods. I don't think Publix has anything to worry about. Aldi has their clientele and Publix has theirs. You can't beat an employee owned store like Publix, customer service wise. I have been shopping at Publix for 7 years and when you factor in the sales and BOGO deals, there is not a huge difference. I love Trader Joes and would be lost without it.

Old 08-19-2023, 08:37 AM

The connection between Aldi's and Trader Joe's

https://www.thedailymeal.com/1063558...ou-never-knew/

Old 08-19-2023, 10:29 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Just b ecause Publix has many stores, doesn't men they have a monopoly. In my small county (by FL standards) we have over 10 chain grocers and well over 30 different grocers. 3 or 4 family own large grocery stores as well. Heck ... even rural/farm area has an IGA and a family owned large grocery store... not to mention the small ethic stores.

There is NO monopoly.
Where is this magical place?

By definition a monopoly is a market structure where a single seller or producer assumes a dominant position in an industry or a sector.

Publix has 836 stores in FL or one store for every 24K people.

Winn-Dixie has 458 stores in FL, or one store for every 47K people.

Save-A-Lot and Walmart Neighborhood Market each has 98 stores in FL, or one store for every 219K people

Those are the four traditional grocery store chains with more than 50 locations in FL.

*** I live in an area with a population around 40K that has five Publix locations, three Winn Dixies, one Save-A-Lot and one Walmart Neighborhood Market.

Old 08-19-2023, 10:48 AM

So you live where there's no monopoly by your own measure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida