Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 07:12 PM

2,337 posts, read 2,284,327 times

Advertisements

The Winn-Dixie by me is nice, but it is true that most are pretty terrible. My theory is that the good ones are former Sweetbay’s. I’ll be curious to see what Aldi does with Winn-Dixie now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 07:20 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
The Winn-Dixie by me is nice, but it is true that most are pretty terrible. My theory is that the good ones are former Sweetbay’s. I’ll be curious to see what Aldi does with Winn-Dixie now.
True, the nice one near me was a former Sweetbay. The other one a few miles in the opposite direction is a dump

Old 08-16-2023, 08:21 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,338,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
How it seems. We have a nice Winn Dixie around here, large as well, and the other two are small and dated. It would be nice if Aldi makes the Winn Dixie stores a full sized and service grocery store with lower prices than publix and competes with Wal-Mart. Used to be in FL you had Food Lion, Woolleys, Albertsons, and Publix.

In other areas there is a lack of competition too. Up in St. Louis it's just Dierbergs and Schnucks. Both are like Publix with high prices, Dierbergs is nicer, but Schnucks is still pretty nice. Then you have a few of the locally owned grocery stores that typically have more specialty items. Now you have places like Sprouts popping up all over the country. Aldi has been up there for a long time.

Old 08-16-2023, 08:29 PM

450 posts, read 461,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Maybe that'll trigger LIDL to expand here also given they've expanded into Atlanta and Savannah.

They are the bomb!
https://www.lidl.com/flyer
Lidl hasn’t expanded into Savannah. They backed out of a lot of their expansion plans. Aldi seems to be doing well though.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:01 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Survivor View Post
Lidl hasn’t expanded into Savannah. They backed out of a lot of their expansion plans. Aldi seems to be doing well though.
Just saw that and hadn't zoomed in far enough on their store locator map. Charleston so far is the furthest south after the Atlanta metro.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:12 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
I am not familiar with the ALDI stores in Florida. However, the new ALDI stores in SoCAL and the remodeled stores in Chicago have significantly more refrigerator space and are a major upgrade over the traditional stores.

Honestly, I do not want to have stores that are too nice. Who do you think is paying far all those frills? We are.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:57 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Costco, Sams, BJ's and Walmart all deliver groceries and you can get almost anything online cheaper. However there will always be a need for discount stores (of any kind) like Aldi's and 'other' stores that offer a higher level of service.

As long as I have choices... it's all good. Capitalism provides those opportunities and the cream rises to the top.

Old 08-17-2023, 10:26 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,089,169 times
How will Aldi which is typically half the size of most or all Winn Dixie provide. Article does say they will only change the name to Aldi of some, so I guess we will still see the Winn Dixie sign going forward.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:16 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,338,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
How will Aldi which is typically half the size of most or all Winn Dixie provide. Article does say they will only change the name to Aldi of some, so I guess we will still see the Winn Dixie sign going forward.
True and I would think they will improve the existing WD stores and they might actually bring some competition back if they would lower their prices some and tweak some stuff.

Old 08-17-2023, 01:01 PM

8,069 posts, read 4,744,624 times
It would be difficult to find two grocery chains with bigger differences in operating strategies or leadership teams. For all the talk of Aldi helping W-D clean up its act, I can't picture that being a very pleasant or pretty process. I'd say there is a LOT of resume updating going on right now, a lot of W-D managers calling up "old friends" out of the blue to ask if there are any openings at the grocery store the friend now works for. They have to know the ax is going to be swinging left and right.

I'm reminded of some banter between Dorothy and her mother Sophia on The Golden Girls. To keep "Ma" in line, Dorothy would threaten to put Sophia back in the retirement home. All she had to do was mention the place.

D: "Shady Pines, Ma."
S: "Oh, you don't scare me with that anymore."
D: "I hear they were bought out by some Germans."
S [scared]: "Coming, Pussycat."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida