Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 11:21 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,626,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Florida has never appealed to me. I can't see the point of or get past having all that shore line and all those lakes, and not being able to go into the water because of alligator danger. And aside from that there is the humidity.

Nope. not going there, no desire whatsoever. If i decide to live near water and shoreline, it is going to be water and shoreline that i can go in the water.

oh and even the pools have gators. sheesh!
https://www.prevention.com/life/a328...-pool-florida/
This is so ignorant. Where to begin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2023, 04:07 AM

5,014 posts, read 10,698,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
My wife taught in Pinellas County for years, and is now an administrator there. Of course they can be better...which public school district couldn't stand some improvement?

Overall, we're pleased with how they perform.

As a big taxpayer, I also appreciate how Florida's gov't entities, city, local, & state keep costs down. Spending more doesn't mean better results.

Florida's the best state I've ever lived in, & I'm here to stay.

I hope the OP makes it back soon.
I was trying to be judicious with my statement re: Florida schools. Frankly, I would never send my kids to school in Florida and I wouldn’t teach in a Florida school again not because they’re bad schools but because they are average.

I agree that spending a lot of money doesn’t necessarily make some things better but, sometimes, it doesn’t improve things or even makes them worse. It depends on what you’re talking about,

Old 08-13-2023, 04:19 PM

1,333 posts, read 2,202,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I'll recup the money once I get back to FL. FL is my home place despite all its flaws.
3 weeks is way too short a time to judge a new area. You are probably going to light thousands of dollars on fire and go broke. Give it more time.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:53 PM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
I'll recup the money once I get back to FL. FL is my home place despite all its flaws.
you never said where to moved to?....

Old 08-13-2023, 04:57 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Must have been san fran.

Old 08-13-2023, 04:58 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,453,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
I was thinking the same thing, and very curious, after reading through this thread.

The new "moved to" location could also play a heavy part in why the OP is moving back so soon. In my opinion, OP, 3 weeks is not long enough to give anywhere a decent chance.

I'd say it takes a good 6 months, minimum, to get to know a new area, make a friend or two, and see if you like it.

Just 3 weeks is like a long vacation. LOL

Old 08-16-2023, 12:11 AM

15 posts, read 10,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I was thinking the same thing, and very curious, after reading through this thread.

The new "moved to" location could also play a heavy part in why the OP is moving back so soon. In my opinion, OP, 3 weeks is not long enough to give anywhere a decent chance.

I'd say it takes a good 6 months, minimum, to get to know a new area, make a friend or two, and see if you like it.

Just 3 weeks is like a long vacation. LOL

Lmao. The grass is always greener on the other side. You were inclined to move from FL for a reason so don't mistake familiarity with contentment. Give it a year before wasting money to break a lease and end up right back where you started in FL, soon remembering why you left in the first place.

Old 08-16-2023, 07:28 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,965,807 times
Quote:
I thought I disliked FL because of the high rent/housing markets, crazy drivers, urban sprawl, and heat. I had thought about moving away from FL for at least 3 years, on and off more just day dream about it. I pulled the trigger this summer and moved away from FL. I've been in the new spot 3 weeks and I'm already moving back to FL... looking at rentals in my old area now. Stupid, costly mistake. I can't believe I made this move. Never again. I left my home town thinking that I needed to get out there and see new things. When in reality my life was very comfortable and I had a good support system (my family) where I lived. There was no need for me to move other than I thought it would be kind of a new adventure, that sort of thing. I fell for it...
3 weeks is hardly enough time to get a feel of a place. Thats practically a vacation lol. We left Florida 6 years ago and personally would never go back. Best decision we ever made. Left our support system also and it was hard for the first 6 months but after that I couldn't believe we didn't do it 10 years earlier. I think you need to chill for a little and actually travel around your new area and surrounding ones and get a feel for things. I guarantee you in a few months of being back you're going to remember all the reasons you hated it and wanted to leave.

We did this same thing in our early 20's, left Naples and within a year we moved back. 6 months in I hated it more than the first time I left and it took us 10 more years to get out. Wasted all of my 20's back in that place falling further behind due to cost of living. This was during the 08 housing crash so to top it off no one was getting raises or hiring. The economy was down the tank. It was a nightmare. One of my biggest regrets was ever stepping foot back there

Old 08-17-2023, 06:26 AM

283 posts, read 289,975 times
If you still linger in the forum sections, that should still technically count as making return trips back to FL

Old 08-23-2023, 07:06 AM

370 posts, read 903,641 times
I made the same mistake and it took me 8 years to get back. You got off easy my friend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida