Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 08:56 PM

22,153 posts, read 19,206,964 times

Advertisements

Florida has never appealed to me. I can't see the point of or get past having all that shore line and all those lakes, and not being able to go into the water because of alligator danger. And aside from that there is the humidity.

Nope. not going there, no desire whatsoever. If i decide to live near water and shoreline, it is going to be water and shoreline that i can go in the water.

oh and even the pools have gators. sheesh!
https://www.prevention.com/life/a328...-pool-florida/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 10:35 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,030,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Florida has never appealed to me. I can't see the point of or get past having all that shore line and all those lakes, and not being able to go into the water because of alligator danger. And aside from that there is the humidity.

Nope. not going there, no desire whatsoever. If i decide to live near water and shoreline, it is going to be water and shoreline that i can go in the water.

oh and even the pools have gators. sheesh!
https://www.prevention.com/life/a328...-pool-florida/
Hahaha. Florida has two coasts, the Atlantic Ocean on the east side and the Gulf of Mexico on the west.
You will not encounter alligators in the Atlantic Ocean and you're more likely to be hit by a comet than ever see a gator on a public beach on the Gulf side.

But stay away from swimming in Florida lakes and don't take walks near retention ponds, that is gator territory.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:45 AM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
I know awhile back you were thinking of moving to Kentucky.
Is that where you ended up?

It can be nice being close to family.
But If you signed a lease, I think I would try to stay until your lease is up.
6 months or a year (isn't that the length they usually are) will be up before you know it.
I have moved from place to place often, sometimes it can take awhile to make the adjustment.

Old 08-11-2023, 04:48 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
I lived in FL. for 10 years. I moved 10 years ago and do not miss it. I lived there during Francis, Jeanne and Wilma. I miss the undeveloped Florida of my childhood and can’t stand to see how built up it has become. My family’s home was taken by eminent domain and replaced by a freeway while the surrounding houses became a development. And the beach? It was wonderful during the actual 6 months that I could go there (too hot and rainy in summer, too cold in winter).
I love where I am now because we have seasons here. And, unlike FL. with its gated communities featuring cookie-cutter houses, all of the houses here are different. I have so much fun driving around and looking at all of the different houses (:

Old 08-11-2023, 07:13 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,746,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Yes Florida does not compare to crime free, low tax and buried under regulations NY. I moved from NY 7 years and haven't been back since. I'd rather remember it the way it was. Spread the word about Florida and maybe so many NYers will stop moving here.
Some regulations are good, when I lived in the Florida my neighbor was running a car painting business from his house. He would paint several cars and live them on his lawn, so when I went outside the paint smell in the heat was horrible, I couldn't take a breath without coughing the toxic paint out of my lungs. Of course, nothing was ever done about it by the town.

Enjoy Florida, as a senior that state is not for me, NY has better health care (Florida is rated #25 on the state health care ratings), better real estate appreciation, most parts of the NY suburbs are crime free, and the winter kills off all the disease carrying bugs. The taxes are higher in NY than Florida, but you get what you pay for.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:40 AM

4,939 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I lived in FL. for 10 years. I moved 10 years ago and do not miss it. I lived there during Francis, Jeanne and Wilma.

You forgot Charlie, that was a real bad year; many left the state after getting hit 3 times.
The hey day of Florida sort of ended about 15 years ago, as the apartment I once rented for $600; now is over $2K.
And summers have gotten hotter, water temps too high; beaches unusable without a water hose nearby.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:44 AM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Hahaha. Florida has two coasts, the Atlantic Ocean on the east side and the Gulf of Mexico on the west.
You will not encounter alligators in the Atlantic Ocean and you're more likely to be hit by a comet than ever see a gator on a public beach on the Gulf side.

But stay away from swimming in Florida lakes and don't take walks near retention ponds, that is gator territory.
This only happened once in 40 years or so but there was a gator on a Sanibel beach about 5 or 6 years ago. I agree it's very rare.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
You forgot Charlie, that was a real bad year; many left the state after getting hit 3 times.
The hey day of Florida sort of ended about 15 years ago, as the apartment I once rented for $600; now is over $2K.
And summers have gotten hotter, water temps too high; beaches unusable without a water hose nearby.
I was in WPB, so Charley and Ivan missed us. But Francis, Jeanne and Wilma got us good.

Old 08-11-2023, 12:07 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
No one should should hate a place that gives you a free sauna as soon as you walk outside.
Money saved!

Old 08-11-2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapiron65 View Post
I agree. Please tell all northerners that Florida is a horrible place to live. Nice oceans on both sides, no state income tax, great weather 9 months out of the year, no forced vaccinations or masks, CCW for self protection, lots of activity for retirees and great places to visit. People would hate it here.
It really would be perfect if it was less developed, had better schools and 4 seasons. If this were the case, I would tolerate the hurricanes, if only because the parties are great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida