Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 02:21 PM

25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
It really would be perfect if it was less developed, had better schools and 4 seasons. If this were the case, I would tolerate the hurricanes, if only because the parties are great!

Florida is #1 in the USA for education:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Florida's heat & humidity is oppressive July-August-September, but I find it tolerable the other months.

I left Florida twice, & both times were huge mistakes. I was chasing promotions & income, & I did well, but the Winters in the places I lived were nothing like Florida's Winter weather. I'm happiest when I'm near the beach.

I doubt I'll leave Florida again, but I do escape the heat for a month each Summer...maybe longer than a month in the future.

The mountains of Western North Carolina are a perfect escape from SW FLorida's Summer weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 03:26 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson Belew View Post
Sometimes the thing you are looking for has been here the whole time.
Taylor, is that you?

Old 08-11-2023, 03:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I thought I disliked FL because of the high rent/housing markets, crazy drivers, urban sprawl, and heat. I had thought about moving away from FL for at least 3 years, on and off more just day dream about it. I pulled the trigger this summer and moved away from FL. I've been in the new spot 3 weeks and I'm already moving back to FL... looking at rentals in my old area now. Stupid, costly mistake. I can't believe I made this move. Never again. I left my home town thinking that I needed to get out there and see new things. When in reality my life was very comfortable and I had a good support system (my family) where I lived. There was no need for me to move other than I thought it would be kind of a new adventure, that sort of thing. I fell for it...
It’s easy to have a ‘my God, what have I done?’ response right after doing something epic like that.

Support networks can be built and rebuilt, new friendships can be made, and New Romantic partners can be found (if that’s something you’re interested in). But it takes longer than three weeks to recreate the kind of support network that you had quietly built up over a lifetime.

Three weeks out, your haven’t even really had time to figure out where the good grocery store in town is compared to the one that sells rotting produce or hit the right time period to sign up for adult rec league basketball.

I’d say give it a solid six months to see if it seems like you’re in the kind of place where you can make some decent connections and if it’s not working at that point, then head back south.

Old 08-11-2023, 05:22 PM

5,010 posts, read 10,687,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Florida is #1 in the USA for education:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Florida's heat & humidity is oppressive July-August-September, but I find it tolerable the other months.

I left Florida twice, & both times were huge mistakes. I was chasing promotions & income, & I did well, but the Winters in the places I lived were nothing like Florida's Winter weather. I'm happiest when I'm near the beach.

I doubt I'll leave Florida again, but I do escape the heat for a month each Summer...maybe longer than a month in the future.

The mountains of Western North Carolina are a perfect escape from SW FLorida's Summer weather.
I saw the rankings. The problem is that there is no other site or source that lists Florida as #1 in the U.S. But, honestly, I don’t think that any of those rankings are accurate.

I’ve taught in Florida schools. They’re not terrible but they could be better.

Old 08-11-2023, 07:38 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Quote:
I've been in the new spot 3 weeks and I'm already moving back to FL... looking at rentals in my old area now. Stupid, costly mistake. I can't believe I made this move. Never again. I left my home town thinking that I needed to get out there and see new things. When in reality my life was very comfortable and I had a good support system (my family) where I lived. There was no need for me to move other than I thought it would be kind of a new adventure, that sort of thing. I fell for it...
This isn't about Florida.

You've suddenly found yourself in a new place, where everything is different, and where you probably know very few people. It's easy to fantasize about moving and how wonderful everything will be, but in real life, moving ALWAYS is an adjustment that takes time can be scary and unsettling at times. This is true for everyone, no matter how happy they may be about the move.

This is a perfectly normal reaction to a major change.

Three weeks is a vacation; it isn't a test of whether you made a mistake or not.

Commit to giving your new location at least a year, and do everything to make it feel like home. In a couple of months, plan a short trip to visit your family in Florida. They haven't left you -- you can still talk to them and see them any time you want via phone, zoom, and short visits back.

If after a year, you still feel the way you do now, figure out what your next step should be, but don't assume it's going to be Florida. You will change and grow yourself, and you may decide at that point that another place is where you want to settle.

There's no harm in that -- just don't let fear guide you. That's when you are most likely to really make mistakes.

Best wishes for all of the new adventures ahead of you!

Old 08-11-2023, 07:40 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,640,495 times
Quote:
I've been in the new spot 3 weeks and I'm already moving back to FL... looking at rentals in my old area now. Stupid, costly mistake. I can't believe I made this move. Never again. I left my home town thinking that I needed to get out there and see new things. When in reality my life was very comfortable and I had a good support system (my family) where I lived. There was no need for me to move other than I thought it would be kind of a new adventure, that sort of thing. I fell for it...
This isn't about Florida.

You've suddenly found yourself in a new place, where everything is different, and where you probably know very few people. It's easy to fantasize about moving and how wonderful everything will be, but in real life, moving ALWAYS is an adjustment that takes time can be scary at times. This is true for everyone, no matter how happy they may be about the move.

This is a perfectly normal reaction.

Three weeks is a vacation; it isn't a test of whether you made a mistake or not.

Commit to giving your new location at least a year, and do everything to make it feel like home. In a couple of months, plan a short trip to visit your family in Florida. They haven't left you -- you can still talk to them and see them any time you want via phone, zoom, and short visits back.

If after a year, you still feel the way you do now, figure out what your next step should be, but don't assume it's going to be Florida. You will change and grow yourself, and you may decide at that point that another place is where you want to settle.

There's no harm in that -- just don't let fear guide you. That's when you are most likely to really make mistakes.

Best wishes for all of life's adventures ahead of you!

Old 08-12-2023, 10:21 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
IDK. Break my lease I guess and pay the fine...
Are you insane? You better stay and take the L. FL is home but it's not worth having 3k debt and coming back to the same struggle you left. You left for a reason. Honor that and deal with your new city for the remainder of the lease.

Old 08-12-2023, 11:06 AM

89 posts, read 153,528 times
I'll recup the money once I get back to FL. FL is my home place despite all its flaws.

Old 08-12-2023, 11:17 AM

25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I saw the rankings. The problem is that there is no other site or source that lists Florida as #1 in the U.S. But, honestly, I don’t think that any of those rankings are accurate.

I’ve taught in Florida schools. They’re not terrible but they could be better.

My wife taught in Pinellas County for years, and is now an administrator there. Of course they can be better...which public school district couldn't stand some improvement?

Overall, we're pleased with how they perform.

As a big taxpayer, I also appreciate how Florida's gov't entities, city, local, & state keep costs down. Spending more doesn't mean better results.

Florida's the best state I've ever lived in, & I'm here to stay.

I hope the OP makes it back soon.

Old 08-12-2023, 11:19 AM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
Taylor, is that you?
That has to be a retread - someone banned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida