Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 06:15 AM

41 posts, read 24,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
I don’t have any issues with people carrying as is their right, but if I ever found myself in a situation where the area was so dangerous that it necessitated being armed daily, I would be making arrangements to move. Seems some of you are eagerly awaiting your chance to shoot somebody…

Yes, too many people wanting to be "Judge,Jury & Executioner".

Old 04-09-2023, 06:26 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
I’m a right leaning moderate and vote Republican these days. This, though, I’m not in favor of.

Old 04-09-2023, 06:38 AM

140 posts, read 111,399 times
I wonder why violent crimes occur so less often in States like FL or TX, where, not only are a huge number of the population carrying, but they're also not afraid to use it (which should go hand-in-hand.)? Places like Chicago, NYC, San Francisco and LA, where having a firearm is damned near impossible, violent crime is rampant. Why is that? The answer is simple - people don't want to get turned into fountains. If criminals think there's a good chance their potential victim is carrying, they're not going to bother with them. They're cowards and they'll move on to an easier target. If some of you want to be a target, so be it, but don't expect everyone else to share your point of view.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:47 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySipowicz View Post
I wonder why violent crimes occur so less often in States like FL or TX, where, not only are a huge number of the population carrying, but they're also not afraid to use it (which should go hand-in-hand.)? .
Texas has a worse violent crime rate than California or Illinois. Florida has a very slightly worse violent crime rate than New York. New Jersey is one of the safest states in the country despite organized crime, Trenton and Newark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ent_crime_rate

Violent crime rates are pretty much all over the place other than New England being the safest region of the country. It’s weird how Alabama has such a significantly higher crime rate than Mississippi despite those two states sharing a lot of similar demographics. The two highest crime states, Alaska and New Mexico don’t really share many common characteristics.

Old 04-09-2023, 07:51 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
I wonder why violent crimes occur so less often in States like FL or TX, where, not only are a huge number of the population carrying, but they're also not afraid to use it (which should go hand-in-hand.)? Places like Chicago, NYC, San Francisco and LA, where having a firearm is damned near impossible, violent crime is rampant. Why is that? The answer is simple - people don't want to get turned into fountains. If criminals think there's a good chance their potential victim is carrying, they're not going to bother with them. They're cowards and they'll move on to an easier target. If some of you want to be a target, so be it, but don't expect everyone else to share your point of view.
"Having" a firearm is not damned near impossible in any of those places. It's incredibly easy. The areas AROUND those states have super lax gun laws, so they just hop the border, buy some guns and ammo, and drive back. In fact that's very well known with regards to Chicago.

And everyone knows that Chicago is rife with firearms - everyone and their brother has one. If your argument is "people don't want to get turned into fountains" and "there's a good chance their potential victim is carrying," then you need to look no further than Chicago to be proven absolutely wrong.

States like Florida and Texas are KNOWN for having a significant number of "mass shootings." Church shootings, school shootings. And those are places where gun laws are relaxed and looser every year. All those people carrying guns - including the police themselves - aren't preventing those mass shootings. There are more mass shootings every year, and they keep relaxing the gun laws every year.

We can't ban assault weapons - and we shouldn't ban them. What we SHOULD do - is stop relaxing the laws, and start enforcing the ones we have.

And add universal background checks with a national database, and all gun shows should require every person walking in have their license and photo id scanned into that database.

Old 04-09-2023, 11:17 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryWhom View Post
It will eventually. The constantly escalating one-upmanship between the parties will devolve towards moderation. It's a circus .
I tend to believe in an 'awaking' from the social coma called woke-ism. Florida is leading the way.

Old 04-09-2023, 04:01 PM

222 posts, read 222,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
As a life long Floridian who doesn't own a Gun was it really that much harder to get one before this current Law was passed?
My brother & brother-in-law own guns and they never seemed to complain about the process when they got them.
No, the law doesn’t change anything about acquiring a firearm or where the firearm can be carried (court, beyond security at the airport, post offices, schools, etc). Still the same old 4473 NICS background check.

Which is also why I’m not for or against the ruling. Criminals do things regardless of law. This also removes the “training” aspect, which if you’ve ever been to a basic/minimal $40 safety courses, it’s a joke. I consider firearms to be very dangerous and encourage everyone to get more training, which is also why I rarely go to the county shooting range, too many careless idiots. I do a lot of firearm training because I consider it a sport and do local competitions through USPSA and IDPA.

I have my concealed license and will continue to renew it for as long as I’m in the state, and will get another when I move to a different, most likely “permitless” state just because I like to have reciprocity if I need to travel and I don’t need to wait for the three day hold on pistols.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:44 PM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
...so just be a victim. Got it, thanks. No need to defend yourself if it involves a hassle.
I believe being in court for years on end is more than just a simple hassle. Clearly you’ll only understand once you “play hero” John Wayne and end up behind bars.

Old 04-09-2023, 10:51 PM

835 posts, read 476,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I tend to believe in an 'awaking' from the social coma called woke-ism. Florida is leading the way.
Your concealed pea shooter is nothing compared to my shoulder Stinger anti-air missile that I carry around in my backpack in case an unexpected Russian Air Force MI24 Hind appears above The Villages and heaven forbid I not be armed to shoot it down. Pistols, are you for real? I have a BAZOOKA! Go big or go home man!

Old 04-10-2023, 06:02 AM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Your concealed pea shooter is nothing compared to my shoulder Stinger anti-air missile that I carry around in my backpack in case an unexpected Russian Air Force MI24 Hind appears above The Villages and heaven forbid I not be armed to shoot it down. Pistols, are you for real? I have a BAZOOKA! Go big or go home man!
A bazooka? That's just so five minutes ago, girlfriend.

My B-21 nuclear delivery vehicle with superior intelligence, surveillance, and recon platform will lift those Russian MI24s out of the stratosphere and into another galaxy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida