Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2023, 09:56 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
NY can be NYC/5 boroughs or can be upstate, two different types of personalities.

Me: NYC is either elites from Manhattan (or people who claim to be from there, yet live in Brooklyn) or dirtbags from rougher areas. Even Long Island is a different type of person.

People from Missouri/Arkansas/Tennessee would likely consider Florida to be too expensive compared what they pay at home now.

FL needs gun laws due to the influx of so many people from so many places/countries. I couldn't imagine a place like Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville with open carry.
I hate having to carry a mouse gun here in FL because of the carry laws and worried about showing. I remember one time I was carrying in St. Louis county and my shirt lifted up showing my 1911 walking into the gas station. Cop walks by, gives it a glance and just keeps walking.

I remember in Tampa a few years ago a guys pistol was printing as he walked out of walmart and someone tackled him. In Missouri that would get you shot. Somewhere like Sikeston if someone called 911 for open carry they'd tell them it's not an emergency and hang up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2023, 10:02 AM

327 posts, read 222,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That's the thing. NY can be rude, and they water down the culture in certain parts of Fl! Totally different feel around here in the winter compared to summer.

Why can't it be more people from places like Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc moving here lol? People from NY think those are hillbilly states.

Is that why some of our laws in FL seem like the northeast? Like gun laws in FL are pretty restrictive compared to Missouri where people open carry and no permit is needed for conceal carry. Someone from NY would be alarmed of Missouri or Arkansas, especially the less populated areas. I've read articles people from NY moved to the real south like South Carolina and they didn't feel welcomed.
New Yorkers have been relocating to Florida (in exceptionally high numbers) for over one hundred years now. From about 1920 to 1990, most New York transplants settled in South Florida (i.e., Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties). However, when real estate prices in South Florida began to rise in the 1990s, and the demographics of that area began to radically change, many middle- and lower-class New Yorkers began settling in other, more affordable parts of Florida, including, but not limited to Daytona Beach, Fort Myers, Port St. Lucie, Palm Coast, Spring Hill, etc. I imagine that, in 2023, all of Florida is fair game for New York transplants and would not be surprised if they start turning up in areas that were previously off the radar (e.g., Gainesville, Lakeland, Pensacola, Tallahassee, etc.). In the next ten years, you may even meet first-generation Florida natives who have at least one parent from New York (or New Jersey) in the inland and northern areas of the state (e.g., Clewiston, Lake City, Palatka, Sebring, etc.)

However, you should know that, in rural areas, Upstate New York is very conservative. Outside of the posh hamlets and villages in the Hudson River Valley and the Finger Lakes region, many people in the rural counties throughout New York dress in camouflage clothing, drive lifted pickup trucks, fly rebel flags, enjoy hunting and fishing, vote for Republican candidates only, etc. In fact, someone from Arkansas, Kansas, Kentucky or Missouri would probably feel much more "at home" in rural New York than in urban or suburban Florida. From a demographics standpoint, even rural Florida is quite different from most Midwestern and Southern states.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:09 AM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
It has a high cost of living relative to its wages, which is the main point that matters. Massachusetts is expensive, but the wages are higher.

The line cook in south Florida making $18/hour and paying $1200 for rent could be living in Mass, making $22 hour paying the same $1200 rent.
According to fair market rent data from this year, the average 1 bedroom rent in Massachusetts is $1,624. In Florida it's $1,000. You simply can't compare Massachusetts to Florida, because again despite the higher wages, Massachusetts is much more expensive. That same $1,200 Florida rent for that line cook would be nearing $2,000 in Massachusetts.

Last edited by NearFantastica; 01-11-2023 at 10:19 AM..

Old 01-11-2023, 10:12 AM

817 posts, read 627,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
That's the thing. NY can be rude, and they water down the culture in certain parts of Fl! Totally different feel around here in the winter compared to summer.

Why can't it be more people from places like Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, etc moving here lol? People from NY think those are hillbilly states.
Florida has always been a mix of Northern culture and Southern culture, arguably more Southern than anything. The vast majority of transplants to Florida, excluding the Northeastern states, come from the South and Midwest. People from Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee and other Southern states have been migrating to Florida for decades and continue to do so. In fact, the only transplants Florida doesn't receive much of is from the Western states, which makes sense given how far away they are.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:48 AM

846 posts, read 682,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
According to fair market rent data from this year, the average 1 bedroom rent in Massachusetts is $1,624. In Florida it's $1,000.

This is correct, but it depends on where you live. The desirable areas in FL are much more expensive, and the cheaper areas weighing the price down are probably not areas you want to live in.

Would Worcester vs. West Palm Beach be a fair comparison? Both have similar rents, but Worcester to Boston is more driveable than WPB to Miami.

Old 01-11-2023, 10:51 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,339,660 times
Quote:
Florida has always been a mix of Northern culture and Southern culture, arguably more Southern than anything. The vast majority of transplants to Florida, excluding the Northeastern states, come from the South and Midwest. People from Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee and other Southern states have been migrating to Florida for decades and continue to do so. In fact, the only transplants Florida doesn't receive much of is from the Western states, which makes sense given how far away they are.
The Missouri Bootheel for example is basically more southern than anywhere in Florida.

I see some California now around here. However, they drive like older cars and don't look super rich. I mean like 2008 model cars I see. Not someone that looks like they're from Beverly Hills.

In the west most are moving to Arizona. That's why it's becoming more liberal in AZ because CA people are moving there, especially from Southern California since it's a short drive back home. Like you see Ontario plates down here in FL mostly. In AZ you see more British Columbia and Albert people going to AZ for the winter.

Old 01-11-2023, 01:47 PM

486 posts, read 516,459 times
Quote:
According to fair market rent data from this year, the average 1 bedroom rent in Massachusetts is $1,624. In Florida it's $1,000. You simply can't compare Massachusetts to Florida, because again despite the higher wages, Massachusetts is much more expensive. That same $1,200 Florida rent for that line cook would be nearing $2,000 in Massachusetts.
You get out of the immediate Boston area and this comparison changes greatly. A person can live in Central MA and commute by train to Boston or live in Western MA and commute to Hartford CT very easily. Both places would pay wages much higher than Florida.

Florida is a great state as long as nothing bad ever goes wrong for you and your family. Lose a job, have a hurricane destroy your property, etc and you are screwed. Part of the higher cost of living up north is the safety nets in place. Also its hard to compare the school quality if you have kids. It certainly has not been a positive experience in one of the better schools here in the Jacksonville area compared to what our friends back in New England are getting for their children in average schools.

I feel these are the reasons why you have so many late career stage people moving here... they have less of an issue with a temporary negative hit and don't need the schools for their kids anymore.

I am trying hard to convince my wife to move us back north. Seems like the insurance market here will finally win out since its making the total house cost a lot closer. I am terrified of my increase this year, the 45% one last year was painful enough.

Old 01-11-2023, 02:27 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
You get out of the immediate Boston area and this comparison changes greatly. A person can live in Central MA and commute by train to Boston or live in Western MA and commute to Hartford CT very easily. Both places would pay wages much higher than Florida.

Florida is a great state as long as nothing bad ever goes wrong for you and your family. Lose a job, have a hurricane destroy your property, etc and you are screwed. Part of the higher cost of living up north is the safety nets in place. Also its hard to compare the school quality if you have kids. It certainly has not been a positive experience in one of the better schools here in the Jacksonville area compared to what our friends back in New England are getting for their children in average schools.

I feel these are the reasons why you have so many late career stage people moving here... they have less of an issue with a temporary negative hit and don't need the schools for their kids anymore.

I am trying hard to convince my wife to move us back north. Seems like the insurance market here will finally win out since its making the total house cost a lot closer. I am terrified of my increase this year, the 45% one last year was painful enough.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this exactly

and you didn't even mention how much cheaper grocery prices are in central MA

Old 01-13-2023, 05:54 AM

25,728 posts, read 12,800,389 times
We can debate specific cost areas like groceries, & insurance, & cities (Boston) vs. rural areas (W. Mass) ad nauseum. Here's an aggregate of ALL costs by state:

https://meric.mo.gov/data/cost-living-data-series

Florida crushes NY & MA....not even close in cost of living by state...admit it.

Now, onto education:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Florida destroys New York, & is only 1 notch below Mass., even though Mass taxes are insanely high

Conclusion:

-Florida has way lower taxes

-Florida has way lower cost of living (taxes aside)

-Florida schools rank high (higher learning #3, prep #16)

Florida has lower wages because our economy is very unique...hardly any manufacturing or energy jobs...we like it that way, its keeps our environment cleaner than places up North.

Our wages are increasing due to all the financial sector jobs moving down from Wall Street to Miami, but it will take decades to catch up. Most people who move to Florida have jobs, or have a lot of stored wealth, so they don't need any job here....42% don't work here...don't need to.

Summary:

Florida isn't #1 in every human existance category, but it is #1 when they are all taken as a whole...but not for everybody....just those w/ jobs that match our needs, & those affluent enough to handle slightly above average cost of living expenses.

Florida would not have grown to the 3rd most populated state, & the most visited state, if it wasn't a nice & affordable place for many (not all) to live. Some come, then leave....fine, its a free country and not everyone can make it here. Florida is no longer below average in cost of living like it was for 50+ years, its now slightly above average, & still rising due to its popularity.

imho...those who criticize FLA, couldn't make it here, or are failing here, or are mad because their neighbors, friends, & family from up North moved here, or plan to move here, which impacts their lives. For others knocking FLA...its political.

No state, or place, can make everyone happy all of the time, but FLA can make more people happy more of the time, than any other state. The misery factor is very high in many other states....but not FLA

Last edited by beach43ofus; 01-13-2023 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-13-2023, 06:09 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Also, regarding the type of person that's a professional from MA/NYC making $80k+ a year, and trying to move to a different state to lower their tax bill.

I seriously doubt that type of person is going to want to move into a cheap town in Florida sticks. They probably want a high-end suburb, which will cost money.
But also consider that 80K secretary job in NYC would only pay 55-60K in Flariduh so you are making less and paying less in taxes.

Part 2- 100% correct nobody from a big city is going to want to move to Sebring FL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida